How do you like the label 'Special Ed's student?

As a teacher of the deaf, you would be without a job if there was no special ed and all Deaf schools would be closed.

You are missing the whole point of the thread.

The title of this thread was "How do you like the label 'Special Ed's student?" We're sharing how we feel about it.

I agree to a point but I also agree with AlleyCat...the label "special ed" does call attention to a child. What about a child with LD? If he/she is labeled as special ed, then the other kids will know there is somthing "wrong" with him. Kids are not stupid. They know that special ed means there is something wrong with the kids labeled.

I don't know where you guys went to school, but no one announced "Special Ed coming through" when my students go to class.

So, what is the solution? Just allow kids to fail because we don't give them the appropriate accomidations to succeed?

The title of this thread was "How do you like the label 'Special Ed's student?" We're sharing how we feel about it.

Right and as a person working in special education, I read and thread and see your perspective and ask "What do you think we should do about it?" and everyone else just rolls their eyes. Here is your opportunity to at least try to make a change....how do we fix it?

My school life was hell and I was terrified the whole time. Being different was less than no fun.

Right and as a person working in special education, I read and thread and see your perspective and ask "What do you think we should do about it?" and everyone else just rolls their eyes. Here is your opportunity to at least try to make a change....how do we fix it?

ideology change.... easy.

That speaking is not neccessary... ie: teaching everyone in school ASL

Ok, I'm talking about the entire special education system not just ASL users. (And, doesn't it take as much time away from ALL the students in the school to learn ASL as it took away from the deaf student to do speech? Are they all losing hours and hours of their school time for something they may or may not want to do?)

Ok, I'm talking about the entire special education system not just ASL users. (And, doesn't it take as much time away from ALL the students in the school to learn ASL as it took away from the deaf student to do speech? Are they all losing hours and hours of their school time for something they may or may not want to do?)

It works in other countries.. 5 languages... and they're much more advanced than america...

please.

It works in other countries.. 5 languages... and they're much more advanced than america...

please.

The flaws in the American education system have very little to do with when our students begin to learn other languages.

I was simply pointing out the irony of you demanding that every child in the school spending hours a day learning ASL for one Deaf student but saying that a deaf student learning the language nd mode of communication of the majority is a "waste".

How do we change it? I think for starters, eliminate the word "special". I think that should be reserved between the children and their families. In the educational setting, the word "special" implies that one is different and the kids know that without needing to be told.

Thinking of a better term...:hmm:

The flaws in the American education system have very little to do with when our students begin to learn other languages.

I was simply pointing out the irony of you demanding that every child in the school spending hours a day learning ASL for one Deaf student but saying that a deaf student learning the language nd mode of communication of the majority is a "waste".

I know you were trying for that angle.. The thing is i think you didn't understand what I was going for when I said that :) Oh well

And you're still stretching things here... blah..

Back to thread topic.. How do we feel about that.. obviously shitty. Who put it there.. hearies... why?? medical views... :) simply put.

How do we change it? I think for starters, eliminate the word "special". I think that should be reserved between the children and their families. In the educational setting, the word "special" implies that one is different and the kids know that without needing to be told.

Thinking of a better term...:hmm:

Maybe "Individual Education"?

It's not the label that causes bullying, it is the fact that kids pick on kids that are different. Do you really think that if you were deaf or had a learning disability or have autism, but didn't have an IEP things would have been peachy?

well, in some cases, some disability are invisible ... but EVERYONE know a LD or special education class.

I like to know why teachers want to bold LEARNING DISABILITY or SPECIAL EDUCATION in our face.

There a person I know who mother ALWAYS mention ADHD to her son. Her son get sooo peeved by it. Even stopped taking Ritalin and deny he has it. Anyway, I asked her why she does that, and she told me she wanted him to accept that he has ADHD so he will continue taking medicine.

Back