How do you know?

Kai Onca

Reaction score
With recent hotbed issue about religious freedom got me to thinking about how a future law can hurt us.

How does someone know someone is gay when doing business? I do my business everday and don't announce I am straight everytime I am buying something. Why should I tell the whole store of my straight sexuality? It's none of their business! I do not want to be reminded about it in addition to my errand.

If a restaurant deny me service because I am eating there with same gendered person who could be my relative or just a friend or even business lunch because it's gay? What will happen to our rights?

who knows but I can bet you with near certainty that some people will base their view on 'stereotypes' of how gay people are 'supposed' to act or look. effeminate for men and totally butch looking for women. Which is complete hooey. It's the same with gender identification... people make assumptions based on first impressions without bothering to ask or to just use neutral pronouns etc if they can't figure it out. What kind of drives me nuts is the whole "Gaydar" thing. That is a hit or miss- sometimes yer right, most times yer not.

The above could be applied to anything.. how do you know a person is disabled (aside from the more visible like crutches, white cane, service dogs and wheelchair...) or what religion they hold (or not hold) whether their house is 1960's retro or spartan modern, whether they live in an apartment or tent...

Unfortunately because the GLBT issue is so much in the news lately, the public is hyper sensitive about it (when they shouldn't be).

It ain't happening. If it is, please write it up via BBB or yelp so other people know about it. If I were you, I would stand up for my gay siblings/friends. "Hey, I want to talk to your boss right now."

You only know when people announce it. which is fine..freedom a great idea, but why rub it in.others faces knowing full well to use an example of recent discussion, s christian baker would have an issue...
that was about revenge...and.revenge breeds revenge...the better way tis to kewve everyone alone to believe what they want and have sex with eho they want.

That's the thing though. 90% don't go around announcing who they are be it gay, Christian, atheist, Martian, polka dot.. well polka dot might be obvious... when they do day to day business. The only way someone would know is if there is something in their business dealings that would have to be known- like a gay wedding - "we want two groom or two bride cake toppers" or something like that. How would a business person know if a person calls in a large order for pizza but not mention it was for a gay wedding?

There ARE people who are 'out' so to speak but I don't seen how they'd (or the majority of them) use that to demand business. Seems like some of the business owners try to make something of a case when there might not be any.

That's the thing though. 90% don't go around announcing who they are be it gay, Christian, atheist, Martian, polka dot.. well polka dot might be obvious... when they do day to day business. The only way someone would know is if there is something in their business dealings that would have to be known- like a gay wedding - "we want two groom or two bride cake toppers" or something like that. How would a business person know if a person calls in a large order for pizza but not mention it was for a gay wedding?

There ARE people who are 'out' so to speak but I don't seen how they'd (or the majority of them) use that to demand business. Seems like some of the business owners try to make something of a case when there might not be any.

Thats my point...its not any ones bussiness what you do in the bedeoom, if you decidd to mske it someones bussiness then obviously expect them to hold a strong ooinion of It, even truer if its sometbing they are religiously opposed too...
I dont whats so hard about leaving people alone...if they dont want your bussiness, take it to someone who does...forcing and revenge just add more posion...

Some business owners will be homophobic due to their strong convictions and beliefs. I believe they should be able to deny business to anyone who will go against what they believe in. It is such a huge waste of time for people to sue the business for failing to accommodate them when they can go to another business who will welcome them with open arms and do business with them.

Fairly easy really, asking them to decorate wedding cake with same sex names of bride/groom on it, how can one get overlooked?

Oh if a same sex couple walks in restaurant together holding hands together, maybe kissing it is a telltale clues that anyone can fairly easy to figure out.

Depending on where one lives, if lives in small town, it is easy to figure out because word of mouth travels faster than you think when it comes to small town. Major city like NYC, probably not.

With recent hotbed issue about religious freedom got me to thinking about how a future law can hurt us.

How does someone know someone is gay when doing business? I do my business everday and don't announce I am straight everytime I am buying something. Why should I tell the whole store of my straight sexuality? It's none of their business! I do not want to be reminded about it in addition to my errand.

If a restaurant deny me service because I am eating there with same gendered person who could be my relative or just a friend or even business lunch because it's gay? What will happen to our rights?

Fairly easy really, asking them to decorate wedding cake with same sex names of bride/groom on it, how can one get overlooked?

Oh if a same sex couple walks in restaurant together holding hands together, maybe kissing it is a telltale clues that anyone can fairly easy to figure out.

Depending on where one lives, if lives in small town, it is easy to figure out because word of mouth travels faster than you think when it comes to small town. Major city like NYC, probably not.

Those things are fairly obvious. There are trillions of situations where it is not obvious of ones sexuality or religion.

Suppose I am an out of towner and walked into a small town pizza place with my sister and they assume were together and deny us services because we are the same gender assuming we are gay.

And small towns are vicious with rumors. Suppose someone wanted to get someone blackballed by claiming that person was gay. Thats all it takes to make that small town block his access to bars and restaurants.

Thats my point if this hypothetical law passes. NO ONE is safe from it.

The only way nazis knew about jewish people was force them wear star of david and gay people had to wear triangle. How do people have a conscience about the right to claim religious freedom to act on their beliefs if they have no idea what the person really do with their lives. This is just a step backwards

But why force those who do not want your money, as in bussiness to get it?
Better to give your money to those who want and suport you not your enemies silly

Don't know? Maybe sometimes- especially in a smaller town- it is the only business that provides the particular service needed.

Well, spare me, sure i grant that...but besides a one street, one bussiness town, why force others to take your money they dont want?
I find it all rather weird really...of course i know lawsuits are about money, and targeting those that disagree with you (not you personaly) is about revenge. The baker a case in point. Anyway
ive been refused service for my prison ink..i just took my money.elsewere...no plm at all...

But why force those who do not want your money, as in bussiness to get it?
Better to give your money to those who want and suport you not your enemies silly

I go by that philosophy. My money is better elsewhere. But when there are no options...

Well, spaee me, sure i grant that...but besides a one street, one bussiness town, why force others to tske your money they dont want?
I find it all rather weird really...
ive been refused service for my prison ink..i just took my money.elsewere...no plm at all...

There are more people being tattooed it is becoming more acceptable which is a progress. :roll: at those people refusing you service over some ink.

But some people do not have the luxury others have to go elsewhere.

I go by that philosophy. My money is better elsewhere. But when there are no options...

But we both know in regards to ssy the baker case, there was other options...thsts the thing...has there ever been a case re. Gay and a christian bussiness owner where indeed truly there was no other options none at all, whatsoever?

There are more people being tattooed it is becoming more acceptable which is a progress. :roll: at those people refusing you service over some ink.

But some people do not have the luxury others have to go elsewhere.

I got a date and a night of fun out od it.( waitress) so all worked out...

But we both know in regards to ssy the baker case, there was other options...thsts the thing...has there ever been a case re. Gay and a christian bussiness owner where indeed truly there was no other options none at all, whatsoever?

Im not talking about being gay and asking for gay wedding cake. Thats a luxury and time planning management involved. I would not even want a owner thats against me spitting in my food...no thanks.

Im talking about everyday things to everyone. The only grocery/convience store around for 15 miles decides not want gay customers in his store and the customer is rumored to be gay....because someone doesnt like him... the store can bar him from getting food because its against their religion to serve gay people. the 2nd nearest store is 20 miles away....

Even in the city not many have luxury to travel further to other store.

Im not talking about being gay and asking for gay wedding cake. Thats a luxury and time planning management involved. I would not even want a owner thats against me spitting in my food...no thanks.

Im talking about everyday things to everyone. The only grocery/convience store around for 15 miles decides not want gay customers in his store and the customer is rumored to be gay....because someone doesnt like him... the store can bar him from getting food because its against their religion to serve gay people. the 2nd nearest store is 20 miles away....

Even in the city not many have luxury to travel further to other store.

I have used a real life example. The baker, you are using hypotheticals...what ifs so on..fine..
if i was the person in your hypothetical id just waif till tmw another store opened that would want my money..havinf a law to force someone to take my money that doesnt want it wouldnt help me that night one bit...and reallly im not the kind of guy to lewve myself so desperete for fokd that i need to force someone who doesnt want my monwy to take it..
But thats your hypothetical, not the real world..we can go on and on, you know two gays in the middle of s desert find the only oasis foe thousands od mikws and it just hapens.to be run by a muslim who refuses them service so on so forth...
The point is.this..
If peeople dont want your money, take it to those who do, or what i was taught from my mother growing up
never stay in a place your not welcome...
Wise words..

In some cultures is normal to greet a person by kissing a person on each cheeks and men will do this another man .
So if two men met at restaurant and greeted one another in this fashion
they could be mistaken as gay couple. European cultures do this a lot and does mean they'll be refuse service if they greet a person in this fashion out in public?

So what...take your money to who wants your money....
Its so simple,,,
Im surprised few seem to get it..

Back