How do you handle this?

mbenson5

Reaction score
:deal: Hi again! I hope everyone is doing well this week! I wanted to thank everyone who responded to my questions, questions... Your thoughts and words are very valuable and I appreciate that you took the time to inform me!

My new question is how you handle going out socially to say, grocery shop or whatever running around you do - do you always make sure you have an interpreter? I know one person mentioned he has a hearing dog and I would love to know more about that! You hear lots about seeing eye dogs, but not hearing dogs... What made me wonder is that we have a person where I go to church who is deaf and there is a guy who signs throughout the services. The interpreter was late this morning and I was a little panicked at the thought of David missing the whole service. What would you do?

Thanks again for your information!! Melissa :ty:

For the interpreter situation....make sure that the terp being employed knows that it is their responsibility to inform someone if they are running late or will be unable to attend. Have a second terp on call for these situations.

more explanation...

Oh, he isn't paid to interpret - he just does it because he can. That's why he is teaching us how to sign, so that we can have a backup for him. He has 3 kids under the age of 6, so that's probably why he was late. What I was wondering actually was how many people went about their social business without an interpreter with them. Sorry if I was unclear...:giggle:

Oh, he isn't paid to interpret - he just does it because he can. That's why he is teaching us how to sign, so that we can have a backup for him. He has 3 kids under the age of 6, so that's probably why he was late. What I was wondering actually was how many people went about their social business without an interpreter with them. Sorry if I was unclear...:giggle:

That's okay...sorry I misunderstood your question. My son just uses a text pager or written notes, if he has any trouble getting the hearies to understand his speech. Most of the time, though, he just uses his voice. He doesn't have any problems living independently.

So he just writes them notes? What is a text pager? Does he read lips? How does he understand what someone is saying to him? Thank you for being patient with me and all my questions! :type:

So he just writes them notes? What is a text pager? Does he read lips? How does he understand what someone is saying to him? Thank you for being patient with me and all my questions! :type:

Yes, he reads lips very well. If he is having trouble making out what they say (some people are vrey difficult to lif read), he will ask them to repeat or write it down for him.

A text pager is a devise that allows the typing of the words that appear on the screen, much like I am typing on this computer. And then if you were stiting here beside me, you could type your reply.

I prefer not to have a terp with me all the time when I run errands. For one, it is too expensive and for another, I dont want to rely on a hearing person 100% of the time.

I use my speech skills to do my errands and if I dont understand the person, I ask that person to write it down. If they refuse, then we have a problem. Fortunately, such situations are rare.

The only time I need a terp is for large group meetings of non-signers, dr's appts (lately, I havent been making the requests..oops) and presentations or shows.

Yeah, Shel90....

I prefer to not have an interpreter around all the time. I don't want interpreter know too much about my private. I only need interpreter for important cases, meeting and emergencies... That's all.

I know how to stand my own feet and depend my own life...

I prefer not have any intepreter for do errands. I need a interpreter for doctor or important meeting.

I would alway ask someone to write so we dont have problem. Sometime I had problem with person if he or she wont willing to write.

. . . I know one person mentioned he has a hearing dog and I would love to know more about that! You hear lots about seeing eye dogs, but not hearing dogs . . .

Thanks again for your information!! Melissa :ty:

Hi Melissa,

First off, welcome to alldeaf! :welcome: I'm one of a few people here that has a hearing dog and you can ask me just about anything. I haven't seen LMM around here for awhile, but if you go to some archived forums and see that name, click on it and view all her past threads and forums. She takes having a hearing dog very seriously, as do I. She's more strict with people than I am, too, but that's okay. Don't take it personal if there are some questions that she or I don't answer and we'd let you know that if you asked that question, otherwise, ask away!

I know I may get in trouble with the others for this comment . . . I don't understand why more deafs don't have a hearing dog, as technology fails. A dog is always right there and is way cheaper. The downside is that people look at you as if you're a circus act, which is something I don't like. Feel free to pm me with your questions regarding Snickers if you'd like! :)

I prefer not to have a terp with me all the time when I run errands. For one, it is too expensive and for another, I dont want to rely on a hearing person 100% of the time.

I use my speech skills to do my errands and if I dont understand the person, I ask that person to write it down. If they refuse, then we have a problem. Fortunately, such situations are rare.

The only time I need a terp is for large group meetings of non-signers, dr's appts (lately, I havent been making the requests..oops) and presentations or shows.

Yeah, who wants a belt-hanger 24/7? Lol, looking at Reba, Terpretator and I see they think the same way, lol!

I don't recommend having an interpreter on normal errands, because the expense alone would kill ya. Just have a pad of paper and a pen or a pager like the sidekick or whatever handy. Personally, when I'm in social situations, I try to make the best of it. I'm not going to hire some interpreter to sit at a bar and interpret someone flirting with me, that's just silly. Plus for all you know ,the person could be hitting on the terp, instead of you.

Hi MBenson,

I just wanted to point out in reading a book called "For Hearing People only" it points out that many deaf people have trouble reading lips (which is actually reading speech) because of certainl letters all sounding or looking the same. Like m,p,n, they all look alike. I always thought it was called "lip reading" but was misinformed that it's really called speech reading. Because I am hearing, I can read lips well, because I use to watch French movies and translate them to English because they were just dubbed in French. LOL, LOL. That use to irritate me. LOL, LOL. But I understand your question and am glad that others can help you in understanding. By the way, that book, although it looks huge, is easy to read and very informative. If you can get a hold of a copy to read it (though library) it is well worth the read. It certainly has taught me a lot. Have a great day!!!!!! :)

So why haven't more deaf gotten hearing dogs?

And do you really feel as though you are gaining unwanted attention?

My kids always notice working dogs, but they LOVE dogs. But they also know they can't interfere, the dog is....working.

...The downside is that people look at you as if you're a circus act, which is something I don't like....
Are you sure they look at you that way because of Snickers? Maybe it's just you!

:lol: Just kidding!

You and Snickers are a great team. :)

Yeah, who wants a belt-hanger 24/7? Lol, looking at Reba, Terpretator and I see they think the same way, lol!
Absolutely! I'm a terp, not you momma! :lol:

My kids always notice working dogs, but they LOVE dogs. But they also know they can't interfere, the dog is....working.

That's a good question...:hmm:

Are you sure they look at you that way because of Snickers? Maybe it's just you!

:lol: Just kidding!

You and Snickers are a great team. :)

Thank you, Reba! Yes, Snickers and I are a great team! Would you believe, for the first time ever, that a gal came up to me at school while outside and asked me why I have a dog? A classmate of mine was a few feet away and I almost got so excited, as I've been waiting a long time for someone on campus to ask me this question. Of course, I told her (nicely) and I was just thrilled. Seriously, this really made my day that someone actually cared and wanted to know enough to ask.

My mother, one time, told me that we were somewhere together and a child was going to pet Snickers. The dad grabbed the child (don't recall if boy or girl) and said, "That's not an ordinary dog; she's a working dog and is not to be petted." Mom just grinned and I felt good that someone recognized that. Even though I am lenient on people petting her, she's got some bad habits that I need to break and need to clamp down on. Perhaps if I'm accepted at Gally, I will clamp down on it, as she is really supposed to be working and not being distracted, even though right now she's munching on a pig ear nearby. :) She doesn't get to do this out in public, but we are in the dorm's lounge, not in our room.

Back