How do you handle this?

A dog is always right there and is way cheaper.

What exactly your "hearing" dog does for you? how can he help?

Fuzzy

I want a hearing dog but can't afford the dog food and the dog vet bills, I'm at my limit with 3 cats already. Maybe someday when I have a job....

My new question is how you handle going out socially to say, grocery shop or whatever running around you do - do you always make sure you have an interpreter?

I never have an interpreter when I'm shopping. It would be expensive, awkward, and too much planning! Usually there isn't anything too crucial being talked about while grocery shopping and I anticipate what is going to be asked (credit? paper or plastic?). If something comes up and I can't understand, I make an attempt to get it by having the person repeat (but not shout!) or write it down. Usually, it's not important, I'm in a hurry and the store is busy and loud, so it's not a big deal to miss.

I frequently go shopping with one of my roommates, not to avoid the communication problem but because they want to shop as well. That also gives me an opportunity to see all the weird things my one male roommate considers to be "food". :giggle: In those cases, the roommate handles the communication and I can stop paying attention. :)

mbenson5;845266! said:
My new question is how you handle going out socially to say, grocery shop or whatever running around you do - do you always make sure you have an interpreter?

No, I don't. I would just inform the person that I'm hearing impaired and can read lips very well. But, If I need an interpreter for doctor's appointments I would ask for one in advance.

What made me wonder is that we have a person where I go to church who is deaf and there is a guy who signs throughout the services. The interpreter was late this morning and I was a little panicked at the thought of David missing the whole service. What would you do?

That can happen with interpreters running late due to traffic or because they've had another appointment interpreting someone else who is also deaf. As long the interpreter shows up, I'm happy if not, I'll be upset.

Do you know any sign language yourself? Would you want to take up a sign language course?

Asl

I am actually taking a class on ASL at my church. He is a wonderful teacher, but I find it frustating because as you know, if you don't have practical usage of a language, you just don't pick it up very fast. Plus, I am not in my teenage years any more so those neurons just don't connect as fast... But, I will keep plugging along because I am fascinated to learn and want so much to be able to communicate with others who know ASL. Thanks so much for your responses!!! I am learning so much!!!! :ty:

Ha-ha... (not paying attention). My friend who is deaf used to turn her hearing aid down when her 2 year old son started getting whiny! Boy, I was soooo jealous... ha-ha!

As an HOH person, I do alot of speech reading, asking to repeat, as well as carrying pen and paper with me in case communication breaks down somewhere. I dont carry a cell phone, and I dont really see the need to anymore as no one ever calls me and I never call anyone else.

But if Im in say a noisy environment at DQ then I usually look at the menu, write down exactly what I want then hand it to the cashier then they ring up the total and hand my card to me then they bring my food to me.

Back