How do you feel if your newborn baby is deaf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky678
I was born deaf in my genetic family. I have only 2 cousins deaf. I never meet my mom's cousin was deaf. I have 1 cousin boy.

If my baby's born deaf. I will not let my baby go to Deaf School. Like my old deaf school done to me in past. I will teach my baby to learn how to sign language. If my baby birth to deaf or hoh. I will take my child go to mainstream school. There is the best education than Deaf School's stink education.

:lol: Very true, very true! I was raised in mainstream myself, too. The education was great! :D
More facts that just add to the controversy of how to best educate a deaf child. Some have good experiences and results while others don't. On the topic I had a hearing baby that became deaf before he was two years old. I was happy when he was healthy and I am happier that he is still healthy regardless of his hearing / deaf status.

It wouldn't matter if my gf or a future wife had a hearing or deaf baby. :) I will be more than happy to accept that.

I am saying be careful about labeling Deaf schools like that...not all of them are horrible.

There are so many public schools that are failing so how can all public schools be better than Deaf schools?
It just confirms what I have always believed in that it's a crap shoot. And even within what might be considered a good program (mainstream or deaf) there will be good and bad teachers. It's also why it's hard to accept when someone tells you this method is better than that method or that a deaf school is better than a mainstream school. There are just too many variables involved for anyone to draw that conclusion.

I would be very happy! :) My parents told me that when they found out that I was deaf, they was crying so hard and was scare that they would never be able to talk with me, but luckily we, including my brother, all learn the sign language together and communicate fine today.

What a question to ask!! The priority should be the health of the baby... the rest come later. I have three healthy hearing boys. I couldn't ask for anything better than that. If they were deaf, so be it. In my household, deaf/hearing is not an issue nor do I make it an issue. Life does not revolve around that issue whatsoever. Life revolve around the everyday living stuff...work, school, sports and families. That is the way it should be regardless if the child is deaf or hearing. I get so tired of seeing that question ask. Who cares!! I just want my babies to be healthy for all that matters!!

I was explaining to my doctor (before my twins were born) about the whole deaf culture thing related to a deaf mother's acceptance of her child's hearing/deaf status. He didn't really seem to understand. Then a couple of months later he called me at home. There was two patients who had given birth around the same time. One was deaf, and the other was hearing. The deaf mother gave birth to beautiful healthy hearing baby. The hearing mother gave birth to a beautiful healthy deaf baby. Both mothers cried and grieved. The deaf mother said this was the first hearing baby in their family (four generations) - what is she going to do with a hearing baby?! She doesn't know how to talk! She doesn't have music at her home! Etc. The family was in shock since they had expected a deaf baby. The hearing mother was crushed. She had never met a deaf person in her life - what was she going to do with a deaf baby?! It was a very interesting moment...and the doctor asked both of them if it was okay for me to come up and talk with them. They said "yes" and so I agreed to come up and talk with them individually. The deaf baby is doing wonderful - and I got to teach her in my class :). The hearing baby is doing wonderful- he became my godson. :) Both mothers are now good friends.

What a touching story. And such a sensitive doctor to have arranged the meeting for his patients. Evidently, even though what you were telling him didn't seem to take at first, after he had time to think it over, he "got it".

If I have deaf child, I would be so happy and of course suprise. but My son is a hearing. I love him so much!

One of the parents' most important first duties is to love their children no matter if they are deaf or hearing, straight or gay, girl or boy and etc. :)

I will reply to some of your postings later cuz I gotta go back to work! :D

I have 2 deaf sons and I am fine with it. If I were to have hearing children, I would still accept and love them unconditionally. The most important thing is - to have a healthy baby. That's what counts the most.

Are you hearing mother?

Public schools have pre-calculate, foreign languages and so forth more academic courses better than deaf schools.

I know, one of my friend of mine who is a teacher in math at high Deaf school. He is teaching calculate right now.

What a question to ask!! The priority should be the health of the baby... the rest come later. I have three healthy hearing boys. I couldn't ask for anything better than that. If they were deaf, so be it. In my household, deaf/hearing is not an issue nor do I make it an issue. Life does not revolve around that issue whatsoever. Life revolve around the everyday living stuff...work, school, sports and families. That is the way it should be regardless if the child is deaf or hearing. I get so tired of seeing that question ask. Who cares!! I just want my babies to be healthy for all that matters!!

:h5: Yes exactly !!

A question often asked...

I have asked this question to my parents not once, not twice by a myriad of times...and the one answer I always get, Kashveera, we're so happy to have you...I guess that is what all that matters.

I also have asked my mother if she had felt frustration, disappointment or even hatred...but guess what guys, theres love that binds us.

They did agree however, that they were flung into no where land but they found their way in the darkness.

And I firmly and finally believe, that we as deaf people can do exactly what our normal counterparts can do, so why should we feel any different.

Kashveera

I still have my hearing parents they are in their 70's now. They have been my very wonderful parents for years since I was born deaf. They knew and loved me no matters . I thanked my parents for never gave up on me and my life. I also Thank God for them for sustained me all these years. I love them dearly.

I will be sad if my baby was born deaf. They do not deserve to go thru all kind of craps we all deaf people went thru. but then again thank god, my boys come into world hearing and they do not carry color blind gene.

Deaf or Hearing, doesn't matter. I've already got a taste of both worlds growing up. What I am worried the most is it's health and education. Which language to teach first? or Speak first? All sort of stuff that mothers/parents tend to worry about. I don't have a kid yet, but I do babysit diverse kids enough to grasp the reality of owning a child.

When my mother found out, she thought it was a part of "retardation". She feared for my life. To the point she learned some more about the deafness and led me on a right path raising me...into the hearing world just as I was a part of them. To this day, I'm thankful of the choices that my mother made. I'm sure it was one of the toughest decision of her life. I am Deaf, and my deafness was never a factor in my life. I rather raise my child as it is a part of every world, by just not isolating out into one unnecessary-limited world.

I will be sad if my baby was born deaf. They do not deserve to go thru all kind of craps we all deaf people went thru. but then again thank god, my boys come into world hearing and they do not carry color blind gene.
Don't be sad. I have been deaf all my life and I always been a happy person. I love to being deaf. It's wonderful silent at night when I sleep. Funny how my husband complained and said to me" Boy I wish I was deaf". I asked him "why?" He said the problem is after overnight some dogs barking.. airplane flying loud noise. He woke up several times and watched me while I was in my peaceful sleep. There's nothing wrong to be deaf person .. the most important a deaf person will have is EYES to see and HEALTH are important .Ears is not a big issues and nothing to worry about. :)

Back