How do you feel if your newborn baby is deaf?

Same here! I don't mind to have deaf or hearing child. I will accept it. No matter what. The important is beautiful health, heart and love. Some hearing people do not accept to have deaf child and decide for them to take a CI without sign language. I was so disappointed with my cousin for not use sign language. She forced her son to take a CI without sign language. I can't change them. Let them figure it out themselves. I must teach my child to learn sign language real early. I will make my cousin feel dumb!

I wouldn't care. I would accept my child for who he/she was.

I'm deaf myself, so I would consider that a huge advantage towards ensuring that my deaf child doesn't go through the hardships that I went to.

For instance, I knew nothing about VR support... ADA... financial aid... etc. No one told me these things. Now that I know about these things, I'll make sure that my kid knows about it. :)

I was raise to mainstream school before. I graduated from Deaf School. I didn't really like it. It's long story.

You know some mainstream school do have interpreter and ASL class available???

I don't want my deaf child to live in the dorm at deaf school. That's my decide for my child go to mainstream and private school. Please respect my decide. :ty:

I understand where you're coming from with the dormitory situation. Just because you have had an bad experience at the deaf school doesn't mean that ALL deaf schools are bad. Some of it are not up to it's par but there are also some deaf schools that are excellent. You just have to find one that is suitable and met to your needs. I, too, didn't want my children to live in the dorm because I've been through that living in the dorm myself. So, I chose to live in the same town where the deaf school is, so that way my sons can still attend the school and stay at home with me.

Perhaps you can try and see about relocating to the same city where the deaf school is at? Some of the time, deaf schools do offer a collaboration option with a local hearing school for those students who have already exceeded the needs of attending a deaf school.

Did you graduate from Deaf School? I did! Deaf School's level aren't same as Mainstream. Some of mainstream school do have an interpereter and have asl class available.

I graduated from a mainstreamed program...I was completely shunned and missed out on EVERYTHING both in classes and in social situations. It really sucked. I would rather have gone to a Deaf school. My brother graduated from a Deaf school and he is getting his Master's degree soon so if all Deaf schools were so lousy then why was my brother be able to achieve this level of success?

U cant lump all Deaf schools into one.

Yes, there are many Deaf schools that have the same level as the mainstreamed schools. How do I know? I am a teacher at one and we use the public school's curriculm so our students are learning what hearing kids are learning. Pls be careful what you say about something next time. Thanks.

Exactly, How I feeling. I wish I would graduate from mainstream school in first place. I was screw up my life during teen life. I was rebellion at deaf school. You're lucky for Mainstream school graduated. I didn't. :( I do forgave to everyone what they done to me in past.

Well, mainstreaming screwed me up big time and it took me serious counseling to deal with my scars from being mainstremed..so does that mean I say all mainstreaming programs suck? No...

I am not mean to be harsh. I just want to know why that all. I understand you mean. I am feeling about my deaf school. I wasn't satisfy. It's very long story. I am not offend to anyone ok? I do respect people's view. They could respect my view too. What I need to be careful about what? I am trying to look for a rules at alldeaf. I can't find it.

I graduated from a mainstreamed program...I was completely shunned and missed out on EVERYTHING both in classes and in social situations. It really sucked. I would rather have gone to a Deaf school. My brother graduated from a Deaf school and he is getting his Master's degree soon so if all Deaf schools were so lousy then why was my brother be able to achieve this level of success?

U cant lump all Deaf schools into one.

Yes, there are many Deaf schools that have the same level as the mainstreamed schools. How do I know? I am a teacher at one and we use the public school's curriculm so our students are learning what hearing kids are learning. Pls be careful what you say about something next time. Thanks.

I am not mean to be harsh. I just want to know why that all. I understand you mean. I am feeling about my deaf school. I wasn't satisfy. It's very long story. I am not offend to anyone ok? I do respect people's view. They could respect my view too. What I need to be careful about what? I am trying to look for a rules at alldeaf. I can't find it.

I am saying be careful about labeling Deaf schools like that...not all of them are horrible.

There are so many public schools that are failing so how can all public schools be better than Deaf schools?

I am sorry. I thought it's best for my child's enroll to. It's good education. I want to end of detail :topic:

I will accept for my child is deaf or hoh. I will not be upset. I will be happy to teach them to learn sign language at early. If hearing child. I will accept it. It doesn't matter to me.

I am saying be careful about labeling Deaf schools like that...not all of them are horrible.

There are so many public schools that are failing so how can all public schools be better than Deaf schools?

Public schools have pre-calculate, foreign languages and so forth more academic courses better than deaf schools.

See what I did in my life I attended the deaf school until I graduated. It's more matter for a deaf child to go to the Deaf school. You can't protection them if they get grounded or rebellion. It's their best education for them to make choice. I have been to the public school in one class room is for deaf students. Then we gone out to other classes there were for hearing students only. No interptered ! Very toughed for me to faced it while the teacher wrote down on the black board. I got so frustrated everyday for 6 months and one morning I begged my mom not to let me go to school. I cried every morning because I just knew it was not for me . I wore my hearing aids and yes I do signed. But for the teachers it was very hard for me. Then finally someone told my parents about the deaf school . Then I was enrolled there. After 6 months I just loved it. Yes there were trouble maker of them .. foolish ways whatever they did and I didn't pay attention. I knew it was my choice I didn't want to get involved into trouble with them. BUT I love my school and I graduated and here I am today ..I AM WELL! It's doesn't mean I need the best higher level than normal education . It's better than NOT to be an ignorant person! Oh yes I lived in a dormitory but I was fine. Today as of now I do wish I could go back to deaf school because of great experiences I ever had .

Public schools have pre-calculate, foreign languages and so forth more academic courses better than deaf schools.
Well there are no schools which is the best schools . Deaf child is more important what they feel comfortable to fits in. Deaf child have a feeling too and knowing in their needs. You can't say that public schools is better than the deaf schools. It's more important to attention a child what they needs. That's how I felt myself that I faced it then I wanted to go to the deaf school. Here I am today .. I am married and have two grown adults who are hearing but they do signs as well. Just remember no parents force a child which schools they will go. It's a child interests and that's what important.

I forgot to mentioned about the private school. My 2 children went to a Christian school . Very good education but I wouldn't say that private school is better than public . That's what important for a child you will know.

Do that deaf schools have Geometry,Trigonometry and/or calculus, Homework Center, Spanish Language, Cued Speech, Sign Language Course and Deaf History?

Do that deaf schools have Geometry,Trigonometry and/or calculus, Homework Center, Spanish Language, Cued Speech, Sign Language Course and Deaf History?

Oh, that's not pleasant questions, some deaf schools are offers geometry and calculus but most offers deaf studies and sign language classes to improve if needed.

That's true! That what I wish for attend to school with Ceramics and throw the wheel, weaving, beauty salon and more. There have any foreign languages. But My old school have a French Language and FSL. I never join there. It was first time during I was in senior. My old school wasn't my career for future. I took an Arts class for many years.

You're little point off about School and kids. This is thread for deaf child. Maybe you should go to other thread at Education. :giggle:

Well in my days we didn't have some those lessons. We had Deaf History .. S.S. Gemoetry , Arthmatics, Total Communications .. Driver Education and Speach Therpy . Also we had Computers depends what grade and levels . It's still doesn't means we have to be very clever ! Be smart and wisely person than an ignorant person. That's who you are.:)

Be nice ok?? Just be careful. Remember Shey posted me. I was alike ok and sorry. Let drop it about school. The point about deaf child how you would feel?? Are you accept or not?? Are you deaf or hard of hearing?? I do accept if my child is deaf, hoh, hearing. It doesn't matter. The important is love in family.

Oh, that's not pleasant questions, some deaf schools are offers geometry and calculus but most offers deaf studies and sign language classes to improve if needed.
Thank you for your understanding. I was trying to tell them the truth.:ty:

Back