How do you feel about Terps

Of course, you are right. I guess I've developed a "Teflon" skin, so I just let the negativity roll off me.
The BEST thing you can do as an intepreting student and interpreter is NOT take anything personally. Especially in an interpreting program, you will have people constantly criticizing your work, trying to make it better. It doesn't make you a less valuable or worthwhile person, this is about a specialized field, and one that is extremely difficult. All beginning interpreters suck, you can only get better by doing. So, if you can accept that, it will help you a lot.
When I'm in interpreting classes or workshops, the majority of the time I will intepret something and then right after think about it and go, "That sucked." Then I briefly analyze what could be done better, either with or without feedback from other people, and then I LET IT GO. You can't go back and change it, life happens, lol.

Very good point. I don't expect to become "chums" with every consumer I meet. Over time, I have developed friendships with some consumers/clients, which I consider a "bonus", not a requirement. I generally let them take the lead as to how "friendly" we become...

...I socialize with the Deaf community but I keep the two arenas separate. Maybe because of all my years experiencing military "no fraternization" policies, I can easily switch hats without become schizo.
Some times, probaly a lot of the time, it is SO much better if you can keep the two separate. I personally don't like interpreting for my friends. I mean, if it's something informal with other friends and family it's fine, but if it is a class or something professional, you are playing with and crossing way too many ethical boundaries.
Keeping those two areas separate can be very difficult though, especially if you are very involved with the deaf community. Kudos to Reba for being able to do it, it's something I find very hard to do.

If a Deaf consumer criticizes you, take it under advisement. In the quiet of your room, analyze the criticism. If it's valid, do something to correct it. If it's not valid, and just a consumer 'tude thing, toss it, and forget it.
I think it's fair to say that 90% of the clients you work with will not have any real understanding of how difficult interpreting is, and what you are really there to do. ASL/English interpreting is almost always simultaneous, meaning you are spitting out message A, while translating message B, and receiving message C....then D-Z and beyond come in the picture, and you have to try to make them all make sense, but only as much sense as the speaker is making...though I mean...ahhh that discussion could go on forever.
If a deaf consumer criticizes you, it may be completely legitimate and something you can control or simply improve. It may be something totally out of your hands. You may be interpreting for a bad speaker, and the deaf client may look badly on you. Just like in conversation, a deaf person may correct you on vocabulary...sometimes it is a legitmate correction, sometimes it is just their preference.
Also, sometimes you do know more than deaf clients about deaf culture, or deaf/interpreting related things.
I was discussing an hoh girl with CP who signed "gibberish" (one in every 10 signs was coherent, the rest was just hands moving, the girl tended speak and not sign) with a deaf coworker of mine, and my coworker said, "Right, she does that, that's called Cued Speech." I knew that was not what cued speech was, and I said (roughly translated), "Oh, I thought cued speech was when people used their faces to show sounds, to help them lipread and understand speak better" and she said, "Nope, Cued Speech is when kids sign gibberish and only a little real sign and you can barely understand them." I said okay and let it go. Now, that wasn't an interpreting situation, but things like that will come up while you interpret. If you are SURE that you know something and your client is wrong, you can suggest the right answer, but if they don't accept it, let it go. Don't correct a deaf person on deaf related things, they won't appreciate it.

If a Deaf consumer criticizes you, take it under advisement. In the quiet of your room, analyze the criticism. If it's valid, do something to correct it. If it's not valid, and just a consumer 'tude thing, toss it, and forget it.

That should be in any textbook used in any ITP. Perfectly said.

When I was starting out we got evaluations from our students. (They were, of course, summarized and anonymous.) I learned quickly to do the above with the comments I got. Some of them were hard to take, but by incorporating them I improved a lot.

signer16 is also right in that sometimes deaf clients (like hearing ones!) aren't fully informed as to what is involved and/or appropriate in interpreting. That is always something to keep in mind when evaluating criticism. Or you might have the opposite happen and have a wonderfully patient -- not to mention experienced -- client take you aside and politely inform you of something you're doing wrong, as happened to me in my first year of work.

My favorite example of the divide that can exist sometimes between interpreters and clients is the guideline that interpreters should wear clothing that contrasts with their skin and is preferably neutral-colored. Being of an "alabaster" skin tone this means I almost always wear a black shirt when interpreting. One of the comments I got from my students was this: "She always wears black clothes, not nice normal ones." Sometimes you just have to laugh! (I haven't, by the way, stopped wearing black to work.)

i was told that interpreters for the court get paid quite well

Yes, but it takes years of experience, lots of extra training, and additional certification to do legal interpreting, not to mention different skill sets and even more challenging legal/ethical situations than other kinds of interpreting. It's definitely not for everyone. I myself will never do it.

signer16 is also right in that sometimes deaf clients (like hearing ones!) aren't fully informed as to what is involved and/or appropriate in interpreting. That is always something to keep in mind when evaluating criticism.

Haha, I didn't even mention the ignorance of the vast majority of hearing clients. I just see to see interpreters shrugging of/being able to handle hearing people's advice/criticism (if there is any)...maybe it's because hearing people tend to be less blunt, but probably more because most hearing consumers have no real idea what the terp is there for, and have much less of an idea how the whole process should go, or how to give feedback.

Or you might have the opposite happen and have a wonderfully patient -- not to mention experienced -- client take you aside and politely inform you of something you're doing wrong, as happened to me in my first year of work.

Isn't that awesome? The deaf people that just appreciate that you are there, doing the best you can, and kindly give you feedback in the nicest possible way...it does happen... I've been luckily to experience that a little, don't think it happens often, but SO nice when it does.

My favorite example of the divide that can exist sometimes between interpreters and clients is the guideline that interpreters should wear clothing that contrasts with their skin... One of the comments I got from my students was this: "She always wears black clothes, not nice normal ones." Sometimes you just have to laugh! (I haven't, by the way, stopped wearing black to work.)

YUP!

In Rochester, where there is a big deaf community, you COULD make A LOT more money than in a small town. It will just depend on where you work, how much the place values interpreters, how much money they have, and OF course, your skills.
Location is a major factor in addition to the certifications, experience, etc. factors. I am in the Washington DC area and we get paid pretty well. Of course the cost of living is terrible, so it probably evens out!

maybe it's because hearing people tend to be less blunt, but probably more because most hearing consumers have no real idea what the terp is there for, and have much less of an idea how the whole process should go, or how to give feedback.

Yeah, I just thought I'd mention it because one time I got removed from a class at the request of the teacher, who thought I was rude and argumentative when I in fact had been totally appropriate.

For example, instead of directly answering the question "How much can the deaf student hear?" I said -- nicely of course! -- that I didn't know but would be happy to interpret the question if he wanted to ask the student. Guess he thought I was being a wiseass. There are other examples but it is actually the only time I've been removed from a class, and it was all because the hearing teacher didn't know how to work with an interpreter. That could affect someone emotionally even if you know for a fact that the hearing guy is a jerkwad. (It did affect me, but for other reasons and that's another story...)

... One of the comments I got from my students was this: "She always wears black clothes, not nice normal ones."
Ha, ha; maybe the student thinks you are Goth, "not nice normal".

In some settings, I've been able to "lighten up" a little, especially in less formal, small groups. Dark or medium blue, dark khaki, charcoal, burgandy, dark purple, etc. Platform type work or formal meetings is always black though. Also, first time meeting with new consumers/clients, usually black. I think a certain degree of formality in presentation to hearing clients is important. It helps establish a professional relationship. Too many people think I'm the Deaf consumers' "mother" showing up to "help". :roll:

Still, I think some student consumers are ready to nominate me for "What Not to Wear." :lol:

In addition to being able to deal emotionally with criticism and personality conflicts, terps need to be able to bear traumatic or depressing situations and environments.

Can you stand the sight of tears, vomit, blood, or just plain "weirdness", and not show a negative reaction? Can you stay cool while consumers are swearing, screaming, crying, moaning, or passing out? Can you calmly interpret a doctor's diagnosis of terminal disease? Can you bear to see the crushed expression of a college applicant being told by a counselor that the entrance exam scores are too low even for the remedial program? Can you interpret a funeral? Can you maintain composure during a group therapy session where adults relate their horrific childhood experiences?

I'm not trying to scare you off. The above situations don't happen on a daily basis. But they do happen. I've had to do just about all of them, or similar situations.

Those are the "downside" situations. But the way I think about it, how much worse would those situations be for the Deaf consumers without a terp?

You just have to be strong enough not to crumble during the assignment.

Cry into your pillow, or punch it, when you get home.

You just have to be strong enough not to crumble during the assignment.

Also really well said, all of that.

Another thing to keep in mind (wow, is this turning into a terp bitch session or are we still in the realm of advice? :giggle: ) is that while those may be some extreme situations, there are also difficult situations that will happen more often. The ones I'm mostly thinking of are prejudice and misunderstanding, on both sides but, really, largely on the hearing side. I've heard people talk about "prejudice by proxy" and that is something that can be common, especially outside educational settings where people are often (not always) more tolerant of differences.

One way you can really help yourself as an interpreter and a person is to know what kind of assignments you simply should not do. If there are very hot-button issues for you, avoid assignments that will make you deal with them. And then when you take an assignment, find out exactly what is entailed. For example, if you are strongly pro-choice and you take an assignment for "a doctor's visit," will you be able to handle it if someone starts bullying your client into not having an abortion?

That is another EXTREME example. But if you had known more about that assignment you probably wouldn't have taken it. Obviously sometimes your boss won't have all the information but you will know if there are areas you are uncomfortable with and therefore you don't have to interpret for those. Or if you're in an ongoing assignment that you are not comfortable in -- ask to change! Some interpreters, especially new ones, feel bad turning down work when they're needed but you are well within your rights not to work in an environment in which you really have a problem. You won't do your best work anyway.

Pay for intepreters is ALL OVER the place. It depends on yes, your level, skill, type of terping, hours, if you get benefits, blah blah blah.... but two people can be at the SAME level of skill and certification doing the SAME job, SAME type of interpreting, SAME cost of living, in 2 different places and make hundreds or even thousands of dollars different in salary.

Yeah, so? That's the same for almost ANY non-union or non-civil service job. And yet, most industries manage give ball park figures to the general public, even if those figures have a wide range. Come on, SOME info about terping salary is better than nothing. :shrug:

Yeah, so? That's the same for almost ANY non-union or non-civil service job. And yet, most industries manage give ball park figures to the general public, even if those figures have a wide range. Come on, SOME info about terping salary is better than nothing. :shrug:
Here's one figure I can give you. When I was doing substitute interpreter work for a public mainstream middle school, I was paid $50 per day, no benefits. That was about six years ago.

But I would assume that at the same time, you cannot just be cold and cynistic. You have to show some emotion or else they might just assume you are a heartless creep. Balance, as said above, is key.

"So You Wanna" is great, highly recommended even if it is expensive.

I don't remember if I am allowed to talk about my salary or not according to my agency, but I will say that it is in the $30k-45k range. Again, though, I live in DC where demand is very high. If I were working in VRS I could probably make even more. I am pretty sure most interpreters who work for my company are also in the same salary range, with the VRS terps making a little more maybe.

Does that help, Gobae?

Come on, SOME info about terping salary is better than nothing. :shrug:

Have you even tried contacting RID or local chapters or other local interpreting organizations? Or are you just asking people on here or individuals you know? I don't post my salary publicly or tell it to people I don't know, and it wouldn't help you anyway if you're not doing the same kind of interpreting, the same hours per week, in the same region as me.

And yet, most industries manage give ball park figures to the general public, even if those figures have a wide range.

Okay, here's a range in my area: $12 to $100 per hour. Seriously. That's the top end and bottom end I've heard about. Could go even higher or lower. Does that help?

I wish that people working out in public would make nearly the same as the VRS terps... I hope I never have to go to VRS because I know we need interpretors out in other places, but maybe since technology is becoming more advanced... it's really quite a dilemma.

I don't remember if I am allowed to talk about my salary or not according to my agency, but I will say that it is in the $30k-45k range.
My range is less than half that figure.

Back