How do you feel about Terps

zookeeper4321

Reaction score
I am considering going back to school to be a terp. However, I have seen a lot of negative comments in posts and chat rooms. So I want to know how the majority of you feel about terps in general. I'm sure there are some bad apples and that will happen in anything in life. I just don't want to waste my time going through school if everyone is going to hate me. Who wants a thankless job. I just see it as a connection to my son's world. Please be honest. No bashing please we have terps here. Just tell me if I'm wasting my time. Terps please give me your opinions too. Thanks!

I am considering going back to school to be a terp. However, I have seen a lot of negative comments in posts and chat rooms. So I want to know how the majority of you feel about terps in general. I'm sure there are some bad apples and that will happen in anything in life. I just don't want to waste my time going through school if everyone is going to hate me. Who wants a thankless job. I just see it as a connection to my son's world. Please be honest. No bashing please we have terps here. Just tell me if I'm wasting my time. Terps please give me your opinions too. Thanks!

No, not everyone will hate you. It's just that many deafies (like me) have had their share of good and bad terps. I like my good terps, but don't have much tolerance for bad terps. I would strongly suggest, though, you take a ethics course. :)

No, not everyone will hate you. It's just that many deafies (like me) have had their share of good and bad terps. I like my good terps, but don't have much tolerance for bad terps. I would strongly suggest, though, you take a ethics course. :)

DITTO!!!!!

I agreed with Lucia.

I usually try to be patient with interps since they are the only "lifeline" for many Deafies but some interps don't respect Deafies which just boils my blood.

It is very important to understand the boundary line, respect the clients, understand the culture and more.

Be sure you are in the field to work FOR and WITH Deaf people, not for YOURSELF for money or to socialize....
I always tell that to every student who mentions they want to become an interp-- "they get paid pretty good!" which is the wrong mentality to go into interpretering field.

If one overcomes all of those and succeed, then there is one more great interpreter for the Deaf.

I rarely have any problems with Terps.

... I just don't want to waste my time going through school if everyone is going to hate me. .. Terps please give me your opinions too. Thanks!
Not everyone will hate you. Many will appreciate you. Some will have no personal opinion about you at all.

The same as any job; you'll get along with some consumers/clients, and some you won't. If you do a good job, show respect for other people, observe confidentiality, and have a decent personality, then you should do fine. :)

There's a great need for interpreting services, so I guarantee that you won't be wasting your time.

Of course, it also depends on the area in which you live and work.

Thanks for the advice and positive replies. I worked in medicine for 10 years and really loved it. Now that I have a deaf son this seems like something I would be good at and enjoy. I just was a little scared hearing some of the comments. Thanks again.

I just was a little scared hearing some of the comments.

A little brutal honesty: you will need very thick skin to be an interpreter. You will have to judge yourself honestly (on many things, not just your skills) and be judged honestly by others, including teachers, fellow interpreters, and both deaf and hearing clients. You will encounter rudeness and hostility that may or may not be intentionally directed at you. You will encounter rudeness and hostility that are directed at your deaf clients.

If the things you've read here scare you, I would just suggest thinking carefully about whether you are prepared to hear some of them in person -- whether or not you're a good interpreter! One of the worst mistakes I see in interpreters is the desire to be liked and befriended by their clients. Don't mistake interpreting for socializing with the deaf community -- they can (and should) exist side-by-side but they are not the same thing, and yes, some people aren't going to like you simply because you're an interpreter. If your response to that is "oh well" instead of "oh no!!" then that's a good start.

(I know this makes it sound like a terrible job; obviously I love it or I wouldn't do it. But it's not an easy job, and there's a reason for the high rate of turnover and burnout. I can list all the positive stuff in another thread. ;) )

A little brutal honesty: you will need very thick skin to be an interpreter. You will have to judge yourself honestly (on many things, not just your skills) and be judged honestly by others, including teachers, fellow interpreters, and both deaf and hearing clients. You will encounter rudeness and hostility that may or may not be intentionally directed at you. You will encounter rudeness and hostility that are directed at your deaf clients.

If the things you've read here scare you, I would just suggest thinking carefully about whether you are prepared to hear some of them in person -- whether or not you're a good interpreter! One of the worst mistakes I see in interpreters is the desire to be liked and befriended by their clients. Don't mistake interpreting for socializing with the deaf community -- they can (and should) exist side-by-side but they are not the same thing, and yes, some people aren't going to like you simply because you're an interpreter. If your response to that is "oh well" instead of "oh no!!" then that's a good start.

(I know this makes it sound like a terrible job; obviously I love it or I wouldn't do it. But it's not an easy job, and there's a reason for the high rate of turnover and burnout. I can list all the positive stuff in another thread. ;) )

You have some terrific points. I may need to really consider my ability to handle it because I can be sensative. Thank you for your honesty.

I never even thought about how well a terp was paid... I just knew I wanted to become one. I guess that would be the right attitude?

Thank you for your honesty.

Thanks for taking it so gracefully! In my experience the field seems to attract people who have these tendencies; the important thing is whether you can behave ethically, and separate your ego from your work. It isn't easy but you can make your sensitivity work for you and not against you. To my mind if you're even asking these questions, you're a big step ahead of some professional interpreters I know!

I never even thought about how well a terp was paid...

Heh, I get paid squat because I work in the educational setting, but the thing is I really love it, more than freelancing or VRS work! Oh well.

Just as Betty Grabel did for her legs, get insurance for your hands from Lloyd's of London! LOL!

Just as Betty Grabel did for her legs, get insurance for your hands from Lloyd's of London! LOL!
You know, I've actually considered that at times...just in case I need it...

Of course, you are right. I guess I've developed a "Teflon" skin, so I just let the negativity roll off me.

Honestly, there are only a few consumers/clients, Deaf and hearing, with whom I've had clashes. I'm probably more critical of myself then other people are of me.

I guess because I've worked in several other fields, I'm not stunned by occasional personality clashes or criticism. It can (and does) happen in any job.

One of the worst mistakes I see in interpreters is the desire to be liked and befriended by their clients. Don't mistake interpreting for socializing with the deaf community -- they can (and should) exist side-by-side but they are not the same thing, and yes, some people aren't going to like you simply because you're an interpreter.
Very good point. I don't expect to become "chums" with every consumer I meet. Over time, I have developed friendships with some consumers/clients, which I consider a "bonus", not a requirement. I generally let them take the lead as to how "friendly" we become. I don't want to overstep the bounds but I don't want to be cold or standoffish either. Sometimes it's a delicate balance.

The region in which you work makes a difference, too. In the South, in the rural and small city areas especially, people expect more warmth from each other.

I socialize with the Deaf community but I keep the two arenas separate. Maybe because of all my years experiencing military "no fraternization" policies, I can easily switch hats without become schizo.

If your response to that is "oh well" instead of "oh no!!" then that's a good start.
Great advice! Using the hearing "sign" for "what evah!", actually or just mentally (depending on the parties involved) can be a life saver. :lol:

I'll just add:

If a Deaf consumer criticizes you, take it under advisement. In the quiet of your room, analyze the criticism. If it's valid, do something to correct it. If it's not valid, and just a consumer 'tude thing, toss it, and forget it.

"they get paid pretty good!" which is the wrong mentality to go into interpretering field.

Any idea why terps are so secretive about the amount of money they make? They wouldn't refuse on a personal basis (I know some people don't like discussing how much they make), but as a whole, when our ASL classes would ask, they indicated they weren't supposed to discuss it.

It really makes it hard to get good information about a career field if you can't figure out if you can live/raise a family on it.

Any idea why terps are so secretive about the amount of money they make? They wouldn't refuse on a personal basis (I know some people don't like discussing how much they make), but as a whole, when our ASL classes would ask, they indicated they weren't supposed to discuss it.

It really makes it hard to get good information about a career field if you can't figure out if you can live/raise a family on it.

Some employers require employees to sign contracts stating that they will not discuss salary with anyone. Also, there are a lot of factors that come into play when determining salary. Years of experience, education, level of certification, specializations, etc. A seasoned, certified interpreter will command a higher salary than someone who has just finished college and hasn't attained certification yet. There are variations in pay depending on whether you do Video Relay work, community interpreting, educational interpreting, or vocational rehabilitation interpreting. Also, you have to consider whether you want a staff position or if you'd prefer to be an independent contractor (freelance). LOTS of things to consider. :) But it is a rewarding career.

Also, there are a lot of factors that come into play when determining salary.

Sure. But that's not different from any other job, and yet I can easily learn that a 'Senior Analyst' typically makes $70,000 or a 'Forest Ranger' position starts at $27,000. (Just making up numbers folks).

At least the non-disclosure agreement makes some sense I suppose.

BTW, I finally did find a local terp to lay out some numbers for me. And the amounts they make in our area I couldn't live on and support my family.

It's just odd that it was like pulling teeth to get, what I would consider basic info. I'm just glad I didn't move the family out to Rochester, spend thousands on classes, and then discover we'd have to file for food stamps to get by.

Any idea why terps are so secretive about the amount of money they make?
How many people here (non-terps) have said how much they earn?

Actually, I agree with you.

The whole "income privacy" thing was foreign to me when I became a terp. I was used to everyone knowing how much Hubby and I earned. It was public knowledge because we were in the military. If someone knew our rank/rate, and about how many years we were in, then they could easily look on the military pay chart (which is public information) and find out how much we earned. It was never a secret.

Part of the terp problem is there are so many variables involved. The salary range (with/without benefits) is very broad.

Another problem is private agency contracts do have requirements that employees not discuss their pay.

Terps who work for school systems or government agencies get salaries that are usually public information.

Sure. But that's not different from any other job, and yet I can easily learn that a 'Senior Analyst' typically makes $70,000 or a 'Forest Ranger' position starts at $27,000. (Just making up numbers folks).

At least the non-disclosure agreement makes some sense I suppose.

BTW, I finally did find a local terp to lay out some numbers for me. And the amounts they make in our area I couldn't live on and support my family.

It's just odd that it was like pulling teeth to get, what I would consider basic info. I'm just glad I didn't move the family out to Rochester, spend thousands on classes, and then discover we'd have to file for food stamps to get by.
Pay for intepreters is ALL OVER the place. It depends on yes, your level, skill, type of terping, hours, if you get benefits, blah blah blah.... but two people can be at the SAME level of skill and certification doing the SAME job, SAME type of interpreting, SAME cost of living, in 2 different places and make hundreds or even thousands of dollars different in salary.
In Rochester, where there is a big deaf community, you COULD make A LOT more money than in a small town. It will just depend on where you work, how much the place values interpreters, how much money they have, and OF course, your skills.

...BTW, I finally did find a local terp to lay out some numbers for me. And the amounts they make in our area I couldn't live on and support my family....
I must admit that I couldn't support a family on just my terp salary. Most of the terps I know are either single, or their spouses also work full time.

Back