How do the people treats you differently?

pintnight said:
Uh? What? :wtf:

yeah, I can tell my mom that dream can happen, and
let me go and try to be a filmmaker...

If gays can get marriage license, then I can
be anybody I want to in Hollywood, all
I have to do is fight for my right.

I can walk around with my head high, and
not have to be "normal".

No more staring and normal people won't be afraid of me and
don;t say, "I can't do that cause I have disabilty"

And I would tell them, "why worry about me, look at gays,
they can do whatever they want to, and I can do whatever I want to too."

Lots of people think deaf people are stupid , this is very bad when trying to get a job as a lot of employers are close minded people ,in all other areas of life i just laugh it off as these kind of people are not worth knowing in the first place

I'm oralized and a lot of strangers are surprised when I tell them I'm hearing impaired if I missed something and ask them to repeat something.

It is very annoying to me when people raise their voices too much. Jeeebus, I hate that. When people speak up TOO much, I say to them, "there's no need to speak louder, it's the clarity that counts, not the volume, my hearing aids already increase the volume." Most of them turn bright red and apologize.

I accept their apology graciously and tell them if they have any questions, to feel free to ask me no matter how dumb they might think the question is. You'd be pleasantly surprised at how many people of take you up on this if you "give them permission" to ask the questions they might be too afraid to ask!

If someone tries to whisper into my ears, I tell them that I'm pretty good at reading lips and to try standing in front of me. Bingo, problem solved.

I get much of the same "dumb" questions y'all get, but I've found that more often than not, it's ignorance, not stupidity. There's a huge difference between the two.

Remember that they don't teach people in school about hearing loss, so guess how they learn? They ask questions. Who better to ask than the deaf/hoh?

In my opinion attitude is everything when dealing with people's questions about your condition. Lots of people of normal hearing have very poor social skills and make rude comments/assumptions when in actuality they meant to ask a question, but they don't know how.

Soooo, every time someone has a question for me, I look at it as an opportunity to educate them about the deaf/hoh.

But if they are really and truly stupid assholes, I just make fun of them. It's really easy -- look for a physical imperfection of theirs and hammer away! Once you get enough people laughing at them, they usually just go away.

That dosent just happen to deaf people. People treat me this way because Im mexican/filipino, a young mother and fat. I do know what you mean, though. Children and parents think my son James is dumb because he is deaf. They show suprise because he enjoys watching tv, and can sign. I really dont get it, I get really confused because he looks like a normal child to me, but apparently he is green with three eyes and from outer space... since he "obviously cant enjoy life because he is deaf" :roll:
Also, I do understand the yelling. People yell in James's face, and talk to him like he will suddenly hear, or something, they do it to Ian, too(my baby). It irritates me. Alot of times Ill start talking to them like they talk to my kids, I think alot of them get the point, but some people blow me off like Im the rude one. :stupid: <-thats me next to those people. ;)
Seriously, I wish I had a video camera to show them how stupid they look yelling at a deaf child.

Just push it to the side. I know its not easy... discrimination is wrong, and it effects everyone, but you have the choice to turn away from it, or take it.

Sabrina said:
:booty:

:lol: Would Deaf People use the flasher light to find the holes ? Idiot asking all these silly questions from the Hearing people. :hitit:

Oh boy :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bookwormet said:
lol yes...I get annoyed at people when they asked me those questions. What does the "broken" ears have to do with anything we would do in this earth!?!?

I have to agree on that one lol cuz this is what u all (deaf ppl) say this: DON'T NEED EARS CUZ EYES DO HAVE EVERYTHING THAT CAN BE SEEN!! So we are not that dumb to know what WE CAN SEE WHAT IS GOING ON! Oh boy that duh hearing ppl alright! I had alot of comment abt that...

But not only that I was born deaf but also blind in left eye but weak tho.... I CAN DRIVE SO FAR.... gosh! :lol Doesn't that funny?

:lol that was good topic tho to Bookworment!

I have hard time to communicate with the hearing people but I can write communication with them forth and back. Sometimes, the hearing people talk to me but I tell them I am deaf and I can't heard what you say. Some hearing people say, "Sorry" that you can't heard and tell them that is okay. I am deaf proud myself!!! :D

Sometimes, in the past, I'd go out with a deafl girl to a resturant on a date or just outing. We'd go to a sit-down type of resturant where the waiter/waitress come to you to take orders. There are times whenever we are ready to order and I spoke (I can use my voice pretty good) what I'd like to eat. She/He would then ask me what would my date want to eat while still looking at me while my date is sitting across from me. I often point at my date while looking at the server and said, "You can ask her yourself."

The server would go "Oops, sorry." and then turn to ask her to find that she has the ability to speak for herself to place her order. The sever embarrassly apologize and proceeded to take her order.

Geez, just cuz people are deaf doesn't mean they'd be ignored especially at the table. Just talk with them.

Pvt. Parts said:
It is very annoying to me when people raise their voices too much. Jeeebus, I hate that. When people speak up TOO much, I say to them, "there's no need to speak louder, it's the clarity that counts, not the volume, my hearing aids already increase the volume." Most of them turn bright red and apologize.

:rofl: It happens to me many times, They think that speaking louder might make you hear. :dizzy:

I get much of the same "dumb" questions y'all get, but I've found that more often than not, it's ignorance, not stupidity. There's a huge difference between the two.

Yep, same here, I get a question of "Do deaf people drive?" "Can deaf people take a shower even if they cannot hear?" What type of questions is that? :eek:

I've been encountering teenaged boys at work who always are speechless and they don't know what to do. A few worked at the home improvement store where we buy our materials from for our house.. I talked with the fella to mix my paint, and he was taken aback at first.. but he found me more comforable and easygoing to talk with. He was a great guy! And more recently, at the gas station a couple days ago.. I met a guy who was so speechless.. he kept making googly eyes at me, even when ringing me up. LOL I merely smiled, and asked if I needed to do anything else. He just looked at me in shock and speechless. LOL.

The people who are comforable around me are usually associates and family of my husband. They're used to me.

Cheri said:
:rofl: It happens to me many times, They think that speaking louder might make you hear. :dizzy:

Yep, same here, I get a question of "Do deaf people drive?" "Can deaf people take a shower even if they cannot hear?" What type of questions is that? :eek:
someone asked you how deaf ppl can shower??? OMFG!!! (BURSTING WITH LAUGHTER!!!):rofl: :rofl: :rofl: that is one of the most fookin' DUMBEST question i have EVER HEARD in my entire life!!! sheesh!!! :eek: :ugh:

*sigh* I'm agree some of you that it sound dumb question but I'm patience person and answer every dumb questions... *sigh*

They did once ask me either I can suck the cock and also can deafies lick the pussies...... :eek:

I laugh them off and told them why do they think deafies can't do that? :rofl:

FeistyChick said:
someone asked you how deaf ppl can shower??? OMFG!!! (BURSTING WITH LAUGHTER!!!):rofl: :rofl: :rofl: that is one of the most fookin' DUMBEST question i have EVER HEARD in my entire life!!! sheesh!!! :eek: :ugh:

Yep, Actutally this person thought that taking a shower would harm our hearing. :ugh: I'm like no, nothing bad happen to our ears. What do they think we never shower? :laugh2:

Liebling:-))) said:
They did once ask me either I can suck the cock

Did you show them with the popcycle? That would drop their jaws. :laugh2:

LOL, I've heard prenty of dumb questions...

Here are a few.....

" how can deaf people enjoy sex, if they can't hear a person moan? "

" how can deaf people be parents, if they can't hear a baby cry? "

" OMG I didn't know deaf people can TALK "

Good Grief...

I was told once "I didn't know deaf people can drive!" when she found out I can drive a car. :)

When I try to help customers in the hallway or outside when they come up to me....I didn't understand them what they said, so I asked to repeat it (so I can help them) and I told them I have a hearing problem....well, most of them say "Oh, ok" then they leave me standing there to ask someone else. It made me feel bad since I can't help them what they wanted because I didn't understand what they said....but I also thought they were kind of rude about it since they didn't want to repeat what was said. Oh well. :)

Someone here mentioned about asking a simple question just because they thought the deaf person was dumb.....I remember in middle school, two boys were laughing on the bus asking me who George Washington was. My hearing friend was sitting next to me kept telling them to shut up. Those boys obviously don't know me very well since I made the Honor Roll at school. :)

A long time ago, when I was a little girl (about 3 or 4 years old), my mother watched me swimming in the pool during a vacation in the Keys. Unknowingly to me, a lady was right behind me was trying to get around me, and asked me to move, but I never responded to her. She then got angry and said, "You think you are too good, huh?" and went on....My mother overheard her and told the lady, "She didn't respond to you because she cannot hear you!". Just at that moment, I remember looking up at my mother looking really annoyed at the lady, and then I turned to look at the lady who had this really embarrassed look on her face and she left. I was wondering what was going on...later on, my mother told me what had happened. My point is they treat deaf/hoh kids differently too, not just deaf/hoh adults. :)

These are just a couple of my experiences. :)

My aunt told me the story when I was a little girl. I was laughing.

When I was 5 or 6 yrs old. My aunt took me to the movie theatre. I was running around in the lobby of the theatre. There were a lady who worked at the movie. She told me to stop running but I didn't listen. I kept running around. Lady fed up with my stubborn. She grabbed me to turn face her and said "What? are you deaf?" I took my earmolds with wire off and showed it to her and nodded. The lady was soo embarrassed and apolgized to me and my aunt. My aunt was laughing. From now on, we go to the movie, the lady knew me and said Hello how are u? She left me alone.

RedheadGrrl said:
My aunt told me the story when I was a little girl. I was laughing.

When I was 5 or 6 yrs old. My aunt took me to the movie theatre. I was running around in the lobby of the theatre. There were a lady who worked at the movie. She told me to stop running but I didn't listen. I kept running around. Lady fed up with my stubborn. She grabbed me to turn face her and said "What? are you deaf?" I took my earmolds with wire off and showed it to her and nodded. The lady was soo embarrassed and apolgized to me and my aunt. My aunt was laughing. From now on, we go to the movie, the lady knew me and said Hello how are u? She left me alone.
:lol: hahaha she was so embarrassed.. oh man !

Yeah a lot of people don't realize that I'm Deaf. They often come to me and ask me or want to talk to me. I told them that sorry I can't hear and they'll have to write down the paper so I'll know what they're talking about. I always bring small notebook and pen with me. Sometime some of them just walk off and not willing to write down the paper.

I always have to have people repeat things, and after a while they get sick of repeating it, so they just say "oh, nevermind" and i NEVER end up finding out what they said.
Everyone does this to me...even the ppl who know I'm deaf!!
That makes me soo mad.....grr...

Back