How do the people treats you differently?

Bookwormet

Reaction score
When I was growing up, some people would treat me dumbly cause I m deaf. Some people would treat me like I m the last person to know about anything. I find it really humiliating but I wouldnt change about myself cause that is who I am and always will be. Nothing will ever change about myself.

Hmph, i think that is common experience for everybody in ALLDEAF.COM when one is out in the narrow-minded hearing community where deaf exposure is lacked.

I am probably dealing with it daily here at a college where deaf population is at a record all low (15 and I only met one) and the students are just amazing that I DO look like THEM! ("What, you are deaf? You born deaf? uh how do you get in this class? Are you supposed to be in special school? How can you learn? How do you do your papers?" OH MY GAWD. I pity the education they recieved in their childhood because obviously they haven't learned shit about manners and respects!)

Most of them who treat us, as if we are slow-minded and appear about to be drool on them, miss out on a great culture experience-- so up their arses! ;) They will realize in some time that ("D'OH") deaf people are not any different from anybody else.

Although it always take them a LONG time to finally fathom that we are NOT slow-minded... we just use a different language, that is all. If you do notice, those very same people are also the ones who never hang out with other minorities such as Hispanics, African, etc or never travel around the world and expose to different cultures. In other words, Biligunal hearing people are great to make friends with because they *totally* understand on some level about our culture ;)

heh yeah. I had to bring that up cause I m sure that other deaf people have felt the way we re feeling about how people would treat us differently. I would expect the people to treat us as a equal like we are same as others except that our ears are broken. It s not that hard for them to understand. They would see us as handicap which frustrated me because we really dont deserve to be treated. In most areas, people wouldnt let us work like they do cause we cannot do it... We have to work harder to prove to them that we can do it cause we re humans!. We dont deserve to roll up our arms and work too hard even they wanted us to do those stuff for them to please them ... which they wont care if we re deaf or not...

My best friend is deaf. Somebody recently asked me if she drove a car. I replied that yes, she does drive a car. When the other person was surprised at this, I responded that deaf people do all sorts of things: they drive, they have jobs, they even have sex! It's just amazing! God, I gotta stop talking to people like that.

lol yes...I get annoyed at people when they asked me those questions. What does the "broken" ears have to do with anything we would do in this earth!?!?

Levonian said:
My best friend is deaf. Somebody recently asked me if she drove a car. I replied that yes, she does drive a car. When the other person was surprised at this, I responded that deaf people do all sorts of things: they drive, they have jobs, they even have sex! It's just amazing! God, I gotta stop talking to people like that.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Same thing with me.. when I was attending my mainstreamed high school and one afternoon, i was getting ready to leave asap the second the bell rang because I had my car keys ready. and couple of other students in the class were like, "that is YOUR keys?" I was like, "umm, yeah, why would I have somebody else's car keys???" then they would mumur among themselves and then my interperter (sp) would overhear them and told me that they said, "Oh my gawd, they are letting deafs driving now?! BUt how couldthey hear the honks and all that?" and i was htinking, "Umm, if I drive well then i wont have to worry about HEARING ANY FRIGGING HONKS!" :crazy:

Lol. A lot of deaf people I know CAN drive and are excellent drivers because they use their eyes more. Not only that but they're used to signing whilst driving. I have had a lot of negative responses from hearing people regarding my ability to do anything but I've soon proven them wrong. It's good to educate hearing people because it's obvious the ignorant ones are the ones who haven't come across deaf people before.

If you do notice, those very same people are also the ones who never hang out with other minorities such as Hispanics, African, etc or never travel around the world and expose to different cultures
Yes, I have noticed that...most of my friends are very openminded, libral people. I've also noticed that most of the people who think stupid stuff about us, tend to be REALLY almost mental retarded learning disabled. (the type of people who are like "Who's President Bush?" Most people just see me as a typical smart class clown type and my being hoh is just one little part about me!

I think it's because they probably have never seen other deaf people nor other people with disabilities. I dunno, it's up to us to prove them wrong so one day we won't have to. It'll be a lot easier in the future I think.

then again, a lot of people with disabilties have to go through fighting prejudiace and stereotypes about their disabilties.
I have some other disabilties (low muscle tone, seizures, learning disabilty and depression/bipolar affective disorder) and it really irritates me when someone says "Oh, I didn't know you were disabled...you're so smart!" :mad2:
Like the two are mutaully exclusive or something? There are people with global disabilties who cannot and do not acheive, but there are plenty of people with disabilties who are living and suceeding!
Why is it that people think that if your eyes, ears, legs etc don't work, then you're not as capiable as nondisabled people to acheive?

deafdyke said:
"Oh, I didn't know you were disabled...you're so smart!" :mad2:

If a person is stupid just because they have a hearing loss and a disorder involving muscle tonus, then Stephen Hawking must be a real dumbshit.

Hearing people look at me like I'm a alien and don't ackwoledge(sic) me at all. They just ingore me and go about their business.

Hearing people who have struck up conversations with me were perfectly friendly with me until I asked for them to repeat and explain that I'm Deaf and then they go, 'Oh, I'm so sorry that you're Deaf.' then proceed in trying to yell in my face in hopes of getting what they're saying across to me. :roll:

lol ......it happens to me... i find it really annoying but sometimes when people started talking to me, i would stop them and saying I m Deaf ... they would said ,"oh!" then never talked to me again ... :confused:

Yeah, they do that too. They don't even talk to me again if I say something to them. But why is it that they get a little jealous or envy when they see us talk to other people? I mean, if they won't say s**t to me, why should I say s**t to them?

Ido have alot of expereince myself since i was grow up with family, my family always left me out and never explain complete what they talking about. that's what I feel different from hearingw orld, I like to have some deaf friends who can communcation make me feel freedom and chat alot for sure.

My family are all hearing expect my twin sister.. me and her just talk and sign to eachother.. we been part of missing out of family conversation when we are at a family gathers.. and plus sometimes when hearing people at malls would ask u a question and If i didn't understand what that person is saying then I tell them I am sorry im deaf can u please talk slow and that person would say oh.. sorry.. never mind.. and walk away.. Its like greesh.. nice heart u got there.. lol.. Believe me I dont like rude people who dont have no respect for deaf people we are no different than anyone we just Can't hear.. U know I dont like people who judge and think they dont know how to communcate with deaf people its very simple either learn to talk slow.. or write it down on paper or learn some abc sign lang.. basic sign lan.. no biggie... but some people just dont wanna learn.. too bad what it is happening to the world today we live in...

A few people in the past have asked me if my children were "mine" because they are hearing and I am deaf. I told them yes I "do it" just like you do too. :boink: It always got them blushed every time. lol :laugh2:

familydog.jpg

thank you susan dupor for painting this.

Back