How do I protect myself?

Actually, if police stop the driver and check VIN# to know it's not match to her name under insurance and license. She or he would get arrest for not change it. And your car would get be return or being hold at Police station.

That's not true, I've drove my mom's, my sister's car before and I've got pulled over when I was driving my mom's car, the officer asked me who's car this belongs to, I tell the officer it's my mother's.

They would only tow the car if the car has reported stolen, or if the driver doesn't have a valid driver license or insurance.

If it is like TX you just have to go to tags office and fill out a form stating that you no longer own the car. This happens alot....

Besides accidents you can also be held liable for unpaid parking tickets, red light camera tickets and unpaid tolls.

and other crimes your car is involved in. Like vehicular homicide/manslaughter if she kills someone with your car you could easily be accused of driving it and committing the crime. You better make sure you have proof you sold it to her. Get to the MV immediately and let them know. I would let the police in my and her area know you no longer own the car because I doubt she has Insurance on it. If she kills someone or robs a store with that car you could be accused of doing it without any record showing/proving you sold it.

If you work call in a sick day and make all the phone calls and letters necessary to clear your name and responsibility tied with this car. The last thing you need is to be accused of committing a crime because your car was seen at the scene and you didn't either report it stolen, inform the proper authorities you sold it before something serious happened.

Back