How do I protect myself?

Jasmine4lakshmi

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if you could help me understand my rights. July of 2009, I sold a car in good faith that the new owner would put the car in their name. It's December of 09, and she hasn't put the car in her name. Now, if something were to happen to her in the car, would I be held liable since the car is still in my name? How do I protect myself?

I don't know and it sounds like you need to ask that question to a lawyer.

U mean u haven't witnessed yours and her signed on the title form when u give her the car? I hope u did. I'm not sure about the law in olkahoma.

You would and I think you should just take the car back. She could also ruin your credit if it isn't paid for and she fails to make the payments.

I'm not sure how is this possible. When you give a car to someone, you sign the title and give it to her. She has to sign it as well.

I'm not sure how is this possible. When you give a car to someone, you sign the title and give it to her. She has to sign it as well.

this happened to me.

I sold a camry to a dude, we both signed it. He never bothered to turn it in to get the tags.

I got a letter from the tow company saying they had my car...

I let them know I sold it to that guy.

I think something like that happened with my hubby and his ex fiancee. I will ask him about it when he gets home from work.

You need to make sure you have a bill of sale. If you do, then go straight to tag office and let them know you sold vehicle. You should also notify the state licensing bureau with a copy of the bill of sale. Most states have laws that state that the person should transfer title within 30 days or pay a penalty.

I signed the title over to her, but she hasn't actually paid to have it completely in her name. The tags are still mine. Anyways, it's been far more than 30 days, in fact it has been, 5 months. She was a close relative of mine but recently she' done some things to tick my ENTIRE family off including myself. Anyways, I don't trust her because she is coniving.

I signed the title over to her, but she hasn't actually paid to have it completely in her name. The tags are still mine. Anyways, it's been far more than 30 days, in fact it has been, 5 months. She was a close relative of mine but recently she' done some things to tick my ENTIRE family off including myself. Anyways, I don't trust her because she is coniving.

then, get your car back and try to sell it to the right person...

Hi, I was wondering if you could help me understand my rights. July of 2009, I sold a car in good faith that the new owner would put the car in their name. It's December of 09, and she hasn't put the car in her name. Now, if something were to happen to her in the car, would I be held liable since the car is still in my name? How do I protect myself?
Did you follow these procedures?

Oklahoma Motor Vehicle Title Information

http://www.driversed.com/DMV/oklahoma-title-transfer.aspx

She's been driving the car for five months without tags and the police haven't pulled her over?

You might also want to contact your local Department of Motor Vehicles if you haven't already.

If it is like TX you just have to go to tags office and fill out a form stating that you no longer own the car. This happens alot....

Besides accidents you can also be held liable for unpaid parking tickets, red light camera tickets and unpaid tolls.

TXgolfer is right.

If the new owner doesn't register the car in their name, every time that new owner gets a parking violations, guess what? the bill will be send to you. You'll have to pay for it, because the DMV's records indicate that you still the owner of that car, so you'll be responsible for the parking violations or tolls. So please tell me you made a copy of the bill of sale, if you had done so, take it to DMV and show them the evidence that you sold your car so that you won't be held liable for any parking violations. Good luck! ;)

Actually, if police stop the driver and check VIN# to know it's not match to her name under insurance and license. She or he would get arrest for not change it. And your car would get be return or being hold at Police station.

She's been driving the car for five months without tags and the police haven't pulled her over?

I find that amazing! the fines for that is pretty hefty and they will usually tow your car to pound (depending on cop's mood).

I find that amazing! the fines for that is pretty hefty and they will usually tow your car to pound (depending on cop's mood).
I bet it will be uglier than you think.

Back