How do I get my family to learn ASL?

indeed very sad. I was at my best friend's wedding yesterday and I saw this married couples signing in alphabet to their little daughter. So I signed to her and they were surprised.

They only know basic alphabet and they recently started learning it from book because the daughter's hearing is declining. I taught them a few signs like Thank You - You're Welcome. I also told them that it's best to take ASL classes and they will look into it.

Sad that those people do have problem with attitude consideration no matter what if others ask for help.

I agree, but that's what we have to deal with because it's not their place to understand. It is our place to make them understand.

I wish it were different, but it is not.

If your main reason for getting a new CI is to listen to music, then I hope you realize that not all CI users can hear music, myself included. Good luck!!!

As to a 20 year old person-being "forced" to get another Cochlear Implant- no comment.

aside: it was stated he was 3 years old when Implanted-thus presumably "lots of experience with it". over the last 17 years.

@JoeyDeafNinja

you can do it teach ASL sign language no matter mom and dad should be practice? would be love to ASL anytime fun enjoy we are happy you wish be you...

you should be up to you figure out best to way on adjust to how know social people deaf community. I don't mind whom encourage tell people have lots of social deaf community few visit learn some recognize to my parents ASL good idea depend on time as take time your no rush

your take an time as think

I'm sorry, Joey. I'm fighting that battle right now, too. My mom knows sign, and my sisters trig to learn. Dads being a butthead. You just have to keep working on them.

I lost my hearing when I was 19... I'm 25 now. My dad said early on that the world doesn't adapt to me, so he should push me to adapt to the world. My response: whatever. Family and friends adapt for family and friends. 6 years later, he's using as much technology as he can to get by (dragon, texting).

My mom started learning, was too stubborn and frustrated and gave up for a few years, and it took seeing me have great conversations with friends in ASL for her to want to catch up a little more to get that same good conversation back with me. She's still horrible at it but she tries to get better.

I know you guys who are reading and posting will have different situations and relationships with your parents with or without a language and cultural difference, but if YOU want to be closer to your family they probably feel the same way (if you don't want the relationship back I'm guessing you're both uninterested). Maybe it takes seeing you have a BETTER conversation with a friend to want to gain the ability to talk in depth with you as well? Maybe it's jealousy, maybe it's showing that you're worth the effort to talk to..... if you taunt them with a positive personality and great conversation that they need to learn ASL to get to appreciate... maybe?

How would your parents react to reading your original question?

I am assuming THEY made the decision to have you implanted at 3 years old. I am assuming you do use it as you mentioned getting a newer model.

So there is nothing I can do to make them to learn ASL?

not "legally". Its just like love - the person can either love you or not. You cant force people to like you or love you. this is basically the reason many people of different orgins,race,handicaps,etc tends to congregate among their own kind.

You are not alone - it feels like it when you are with your family, but really you are not alone. we all are thinking of each other.

I think so doesn't work unfair to my sister annoyance ignorance cause issues on my family. I understand. I have issues on family I believe it my mom knew is deseves. I think so my sister refused to listen. they stranger. seems problem on my family difficult I think so doesn't work. I tried to contact to my sister. seems problem on supportive on my sister. It is frustrating for me. I know difficult for my family cause on experience my life, I notice on my sister cause bit rebelling not listen. nobody listen on cause listen. how feeling reason comfortable I am surprised.I know on experience my mom is very easy between better Dad is good..

As sad as it is....it's never changed and probably won't....I do feel some hearing people "might" want to learn...even try....but they "can't" seem to grasp it (ASL)....Inasmuch as many of us deafies want to learn to speak English, but can only speak a "few words"......It's almost like being in a foreign country at times....speaking is the "norm" for them...ASL is foreign.

Some of my family and I did have a "falling out" years ago, due to the communication issue....and it hasn't been resolved (sadly)....Feeling left-out at family get-togethers when the family is all hearing is common place with us deafies....

that happened to me...my bitch mother even moved 100miles away so she no had to make effort to learn or communicate,nothing lost though..i dont even get invites anymore because of communication issues

I've always felt this clip (the middle part) was an excellent portrayal of the frustrations of being deaf, not being able to communicate, etc. Glenne Headly did excellent stuff playing Iris Holland

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQP8vX0rJ8U"]Mr Holland's Opus - YouTube[/ame]

I'd just send this to family, and write Wow... Best. Mom. Ever. Cause I'm mean that way : )

This is also a pretty good moment. Heart this movie

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3rjthuTCFM]ASL - I know what music is - YouTube[/ame]

Back