How do Deaf people drive?

And how do you communicate with the passengers that don't know ASL? Wait that is if they are in your car to begin with?

I do that all the times... Arent you shocked yet?

There are many ways you can do it. Before they enter my car, there must be some form of communication setup. Gesturing is more than good enough.

One time I saw a woman in danger of a man who was trying to score on her.. I went up and took her. She was D R U N K. Sleepy and shit..

I was able to successfully get her to her place. I don't even know her. Talked to her roomie on what happened then left.

Two days later, a couple of people came to me - they know ASL and such.. Told me "THANK YOU" for saving their friend. :)

So yeah, its possible to communicate with a wasted sleepy hearing girl who doesnt know sign while driving.

This was mentioned in the original post, but no one really answered it and I'm curious. Do d/Deaf people sign while driving? What would you do if you needed to say something to a passenger, or they needed to say something to you? Are there any laws forbidding signing while driving? (since there are laws against texting, and both require use of the hands and looking away).

I've also wondered, what do you think about the laws that forbid the use of earphones while driving, because they block sound? Do you think those laws should not exist since you do not need to hear to drive safely? Do you think the existence of those laws contribute to the general public's idea that d/Deaf people can't drive, or that you must be bad drivers?

In my 20 plus years of driving, I have only gotten one ticket when I was 19 years old. For unsafe lane change and I learned my lesson. Since then, I have a perfect driving record so it is obvious my deafness has no impact on how I drive.

I LOVE to have ASL conversations with deaf people in other cars while on the road. That's always hilarous because non signers cant do that. :lol:

In my 20 plus years of driving, I have only gotten one ticket when I was 19 years old. For unsafe lane change and I learned my lesson. Since then, I have a perfect driving record so it is obvious my deafness has no impact on how I drive.

I LOVE to have ASL conversations with deaf people in other cars while on the road. That's always hilarous because non signers cant do that. :lol:

ROAD TRIP!!! Person in passenger seat turns around and sits back on the dashboard and mirrors everyone!!!

This was mentioned in the original post, but no one really answered it and I'm curious. Do d/Deaf people sign while driving? What would you do if you needed to say something to a passenger, or they needed to say something to you? Are there any laws forbidding signing while driving? (since there are laws against texting, and both require use of the hands and looking away).

I've also wondered, what do you think about the laws that forbid the use of earphones while driving, because they block sound? Do you think those laws should not exist since you do not need to hear to drive safely? Do you think the existence of those laws contribute to the general public's idea that d/Deaf people can't drive, or that you must be bad drivers?

is there a law like that? My husband wear a bluetooth while driving so he can talk on the cellphone. talking on the cellphone is illegal but bluetooth isn't. I think it is more of how distracting it is from your driving, not how well you hear. I don't think being deaf is distracting us.

TEAMWORK driving , Right?

Though I can't hear where the road is, the signs, the lights, and the obstacles, I still manage to grope my way from place to place without causing any accidents or obstructions.

I think the headphone laws have to do with being distracted and disorientated because the sound comes from a direction relative to your head instead of relative to the world. However, I notice they are not being enforced since hands-free devices for phones are being encouraged. I think people who talk on hands-free devices while driving can be nearly as dangerous as those who hold their hand-set, but who am I?

There are laws that would seem to prevent signing while driving in almost every state, but those same laws would prevent you from shifting or making any number of manoeuvres in your car, so they probably have never been enforced. If you read the driver's manual issued by the state, you will find somewhere in there to "Keep both hands on the steering wheel at all times." Turns out that's the law, but nobody can drive like that. Those same manuals though say never to take your eyes off the road, but I still check my instrument panel to see how fast I'm going and such.

Cops use all sorts of gadgets and gizmoes while they're driving, but I guess they're trained for it.

I use a combination of 1-handed signing and brief or abbreviated fingerspelling, short sentences, no lengthy explanations. Keeping my eyes on the road prevents me catching much of the conversation anyway. I normally drive alone though, so it really isn't an issue for me very often.

I have no trouble seeing emergency vehicles approaching. You use the same skills as defensive driving, avoiding drunks and numbskulls who run red lights and drive too fast and try to run everybody off the road.

I just wanted to chime in to tell you what I discovered today. This early morning, I noticed a white light flashing on the side of the stoplights, At first I thought it was taking picture of people breaking the law (my aunt told me how she got a ticket in the mail from another state without being pulled over), Then I noticed a fire truck went through. Then I wondered "wait a min... does this flashing light was trying to alert people that EMT are coming through?"

ok, since then, I started paying attention to it and later in the afternoon.. I noticed the light flashing again... so I look around and sure enough, an ambulance came through. I hope the flashing light means emergency vehicles because it would be so helpful! I'm off to research it, but thought I let you guys know about it as well.

That's been around for quite some time. I'm glad you found that as that is what that light is for. Police, ambulance and fire.

I didn't know about it until recently (and never saw it before either). it's been a while since I had my written driver test for driver license renewal, and I don't remember reading anything about it the last time I took the test.

I've never heard of that or even seen it.

Maybe it's regional? Perhaps some states have it, or some cities, etc.? I live in a very large metropolitan area so they're everywhere here .. I can't vouch for other areas, though ... (I didn't even think about that. I've gotten so used to seeing them here.)

I've never seen them, not even in large metro areas such as OKC where I was recently.

I just checked online. They're called Emergency Vehicle Preemption lights. Trying to see if I can dig up what states use them.

So far I see Arizona, Washington, MN, Florida, Texas, Wisconsin. I didn't keep going.

Anyways, if the lights are triggered because an emergency vehicle is nearby and going to come through that intersection , it changes the signal to allow for that vehicle to get throughwithout running a red light, and it is a good visual aid for me to know somebody's on the way and get out of the way! The lights are triggered in time for a green light to have time to change to yellow then red if need be.

opticom.jpg

The thingy at the left of the signal flashes white.

Back