How do Deaf people drive?

No.Read carefully. What we are talking about here are not cameras, but a signaler to warn of emergency vehicles coming and to change the stoplights.

Not that I'd try it but I heard someone once say that if you flash your headlights really fast upon approaching an intersection that has one of these gizmos, the light should change for you.

Not that I'd try it but I heard someone once say that if you flash your headlights really fast upon approaching an intersection that has one of these gizmos, the light should change for you.

That's a myth. Emergency vehicles are equipped with Opticom lights. It's not possible to mimic it by just buying a strobe light from a party store.

So yes, it's not true.

I do, too. I refuse to give up texting and driving as long as hearing people are allowed to use the cell phone and drive.

I guess I should give up texting since cellphone is banned where i live. But that's not a problem since I don't text and drive anyway. One guy (hearing) I know swear up and down that that he can text without looking and drive at the same time. he doesn't think texting should be illegal.

That's a myth. Emergency vehicles are equipped with Opticom lights. It's not possible to mimic it by just buying a strobe light from a party store.

So yes, it's not true.

I heard the same about flashing your headlights really fast. But I suspect Banjo is right.

My father STILL thinks I, as a deaf person, should not be driving. He did everything he could to prevent me from driving. He thinks it's so dangerous.
So did my dad, I was 18 before I was allowed to drive by myself and even then it was during daylight hours only until I graduated.

Well, I thought that it is taking some pictures with flashes of our best cars that made computer traffic employees jealous.

It was once told to me how deaf people came about permitted to drive.
Deaf gentlemen in the early 1900's asked the dmv,if he could drive, the dmv said no! So he pleaded for a few days and finally got his wish to show the hearing "dmv driver inspector" he could pass the test.
As the inspector sat in the car, deaf man had bundle of newspaper and covered all the windows, front,back and side to side.
And then the deaf man jumped in the car with the inspector and the inspector wrote on pad and paper and said,"what are you doing, we cant see"?
Deaf man writes back,"exactly my point, what does this have to do with me being deaf"?

And thats all deaf community wrote!

it was once told to me how deaf people came about permitted to drive.
Deaf gentlemen in the early 1900's asked the dmv,if he could drive, the dmv said no! So he pleaded for a few days and finally got his wish to show the hearing "dmv driver inspector" he could pass the test.
As the inspector sat in the car, deaf man had bundle of newspaper and covered all the windows, front,back and side to side.
And then the deaf man jumped in the car with the inspector and the inspector wrote on pad and paper and said,"what are you doing, we cant see"?
Deaf man writes back,"exactly my point, what does this have to do with me being deaf"?

And thats all deaf community wrote!

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I should give up texting since cellphone is banned where i live. But that's not a problem since I don't text and drive anyway. One guy (hearing) I know swear up and down that that he can text without looking and drive at the same time. he doesn't think texting should be illegal.

I can text without looking at the road. :fruit:

Wirelessly posted

Lol. I mean he can type without taking his eyes off the road.

Doubt he can read his text without taking he eyes off the road.

Just wanted to say....

I am a hearing person and I just thought that I would say that the original poster was obviously not trying to offend anyone. I was slightly surprised by the number of people who replied with a defensive answer. As a hearing person, I was asking the same question and found this thread as the answer. I think that you can use a disability that you have in order to educate those around you, not to put them down for asking.

I am a hearing person and I just thought that I would say that the original poster was obviously not trying to offend anyone. I was slightly surprised by the number of people who replied with a defensive answer. As a hearing person, I was asking the same question and found this thread as the answer. I think that you can use a disability that you have in order to educate those around you, not to put them down for asking.

So??

What do you mean "so??" I am simply saying that you shouldn't be offended when someone is trying to learn more about something that they do not understand. I would hope that you could be kind and help people to understand your disability. I am shocked by how rude everyone was to the original poster over this topic.

When we live a life of people putting us down constantly for being deaf, it is only natural that we take a defensive stance. Try putting yourself in our shoes for a single minute, if you will (have you?) before you speak of how rude we are.

When we live a life of people putting us down constantly for being deaf, it is only natural that we take a defensive stance. Try putting yourself in our shoes for a single minute, if you will (have you?) before you speak of how rude we are.

Yes!

I am simply saying that I would not be offended if a deaf person asked me a question that pertained to me being a hearing person. I understand that you may get put down, but just about everyone has been put down. There is no excuse for rudeness.

I am simply saying that I would not be offended if a deaf person asked me a question that pertained to me being a hearing person. I understand that you may get put down, but just about everyone has been put down. There is no excuse for rudeness.

You are part of the majority culture.

It is very different if you are a visible minority. Your character develops differently.

Back