How did you learn to drive vs. driving record

I grew up on a farm. This is how I learned to drive. No lesson just hop on teh tractor or truck and go.. you do not need a liscense to drive farm equip here in ohio. But for typical vehicles you need to get your drivers which I do have. I just took the test when I was 18 when It's not required to have drivers education.

Having two grandsons who will soon be learning how to drive, I got to thinking about driving lessons.

I've seen the threads about getting pulled over and access to driving schools.
What I would like to know is the correlation between the way people learn to drive, and their driving record (tickets and accidents).

Please tell:

1. How you learned to drive.

2. How many years have you been driving.

3. What kind of driving record you have (number of tickets and accidents).

I'll start. I learned how to drive a stick-shift 1/2-ton Navy truck on an abandoned air field. Then, I bought a used VW Beetle (60's style) convertible and drove that with my learner's permit until I could take my permanent driver's license test.

I've had my license since 1973, and have been in four accidents, and gotten no tickets.

Ok I'll throw this in:
1.) Learned how to drive with a race car when I was 11. Stick Shift. Got into drivers ed when i was 14-15. Got my license at 15. I've been driving for almost 14 years now.

2.) oh, see above.

3.) Been pulled over 67 times. Arrested once. One ticket that has been upheld. Got pulled over for doing 30+ on more than several occasions. 96 in 55 anyone? (Oh that resulted in the lone ticket that was upheld, a 2 pointer and $53 court fees. I brought a pocketful of cash just in case and celebrated my birthday dinner that evening.)

Sure hope you don't have to teach your grandsons how to drive !!!
I have taught a few people how to drive and it can be nerve wracking . Best teaching method id to stick them in a go kart !!! If they have not actually been in one yet it is the best way to learn since it gives a new driver the physical memory they need .ATV's would also be good. If someone who has never used pedals and a stering wheelis pt behind the wheel of a car they will have problems.
I learned to drive in a friends fiels with old cars.
Passed the drivers test at 16 on the first try.
Had a few accidents when trees and such jumped into the road . And had some speeding tickets I always managed to plea down.

1. Dad taught me stick shift in his Benz. Went to drive ed at 16, but didn't actually apply for DL. Obtained a DL at 18. Been driving since then

2. 5 years now.

3. None.

i dont know how to drive but i know how to drive motorcycle when i was 15 yrs old, thanks uncle...when my dad found it out, screaming his lungs out of it and made me go to driver education during summer time.

1998- drove motorcycle w/ uncle, no license!
1999- license to drive "C"
2004- license to drive "M1"

tickets:

1999- 2 speeding tickets, both is paid to fine.
2001- 1 violate the law of the street at Rochester, NY but waived!
2005- reckless driving w/ my motorcycle- community service for 36 hrs.
2010- violate red light on right turn on the street but waived

1990 Took Drivers Ed (hated it-- horrible sexist instructor) didn't learn much at all!!!

1991 Taught myself to drive the car my parents gave me to use, since my DE driving time was limited

1995 Bought a 5 speed pick up w/out knowing how to drive it off the lot-- but learned quickly, one of the salesmen took me around the block a few times in it to start-- the rest was stall and go on my own!! LOL

I've had 3 tickets in 20 years- (one was for a fender bender-- b/c she stopped suddenly in front of me and I couldn't stop in time-- rear ended her-- and so it was 'my fault' as was the law in TN)

Shew I DREAD the day Adam wants to drive!! But sadly w/his vision impairment and his seizures he might not be able to drive :( :(

I started driving when I was 12, my brother let me drive 1967 Ford Mustang convertible on big church parking lot back in 1980, it was icy and had a blast spinning the car. Then he taught me how to use stickshift on 1972 VW Beetle a year later. When I was 14, I hotwired my brother's 1955 Chevy pickup truck and drove around the block often, giving my brother hard time. Then at 15, I drove my mom's 1979 Ford Pinto SS on highway with my brother and car was so smooth and I was trying to stay 55mph but ended up 115mph :eek2: , luckily no cop caught me.

When I turned 15, I got my first driver's license for moped. I became a leader of Deaf Moped Gang (6 deafie moped riders). I took Driver Course at my Highschool. It have driver simulator. I played with it and floored the sim car to 100mph then parked it to watch needle zip to 0mph from 100mph :rofl: I got my first drivers license for car when I was 16. I drove VW beetle "hand free" letting my legs do the driving while I was talking to my mom while my oldest brother was in back freaking out :eek2: :rofl:

I did ride my brother's motorcycle (I have 2 older brothers, both have motorcycles) when I was 16 but did not have license to ride on. I rode around the block alot.

at 16, first speeding ticket, sped 6mph over 35mph zone, paid $35
first accident on VW bug, it had bad brake and rear ended the car. Car did not have damage, only my VW bumper was squashed that's it. No need insurance swap.

My first own car, 1977 Toyota Corolla when I was 19, paid $600 for nice car.

I did have several speeding tickets and one through stop sign while delivering pizza (oops!!)

Afterward, became more safe driver

Currently renewing Motorcycle Permit and plan to take riding test with my Suzuki Volusia that I bought few days ago to get "real" Motorcycle License.

Catty

I took driving lessons but I did not pass my driving test the first time . So my dad decided he would give me some lessons. My dad use to drive the bus when it cost 5 cents a ride and he had use both foot to drive the bus . And that was how he drove a car right foot on the gas , left foot on the brake . We got into the car and dad told me to put my right foot on the gas and left foot on the gas, I told dad driving school said that was the wrong to drive. Dad said shut up and and do it. Our street had a grass strip in the middle with bushes . I started the car and when I get to the end of our driveway I was going to step on the brake and get confuse as my left foot is on the brakes , so instead of stepping on the brakes I step down on the gas and the car goes flying across the street into one of the bushes! My dad yelled at me to get out off the car and I said to him I told you I can't drive using both my feets . Dad hired one of his friend to give me some lessons and I pass my driving test. When my dad drove he kept stepping on the brake while driving so the car would jerk back and forth the whole time!
We felt seasick when we had to drive with dad .

On a side note....kids in Texas under 18 have to take driver's ed and lose their license for three years if caught buying smokes or one year if caught only using.
The odd part is they don't lose their license for dwi nor dui, at least not automatically, it depends on the circumstances.

I took a H.S. driver ED class, I FAILED!. (Because I had ADHD :giggle:).
I learned from my brothers, sisters and one of her old boyfriend who taught me how to drive except 5 speed stick, I dunno how. I go with automatic stick.
I passed both written and driver test at 19 or 20 yrs old. My driving record is clean, I'm a good driver. ;) and yes, I'm a slow driver...No, just kidding.

As I get older, I'm kinda tired of driving especially I don't like in heavy traffic UGH. that's life.

Yea, it's still fun to drive.

Age 11. My oldest brother (I'm the youngest of 4) taught me how do drive his old red VW (the clutchless kind) in the ship yards at night cuz it was like a ghost town at night. So I guess I have been ' driving' for 41 years . Been in accident once long time ago (not my fault) KNOCK ON WOOD! DON'T WANT TO SPEAK TOO SOON...

1. My brother taught me the concept of driving a manual transmission by making me play gran tourismo 4 on the PS2.
2. Once he thought I got the idea of it, I drove his 98 talon tsi. (after it had been heavily modified, lowered, etc etc).
3. Took drivers ed for insurance purposes.
4.... Got REALLY confused on how to drive an automatic car during drivers ed and asked the instructor why there wasn't a clutch (my blond moment of drivers ed).
5. Fought my parents into buying a stick first. Been driving it ever since.

Tickets? latest one... 90+ in a 55 anyone? (ticket got dismissed because the sheriff didn't show for court) Overall.... 4 tickets and 5 warnings... all for doing at least 20+ over the speed limit.

Back