How Deaf Do You Need to be for a Dog?

Mine multi-tasks . . . whose gonna mess with a cute guy (me) with a dog that appears hungry all the time? :laugh2: Seriously.

If i were going to adopt a dog. i might try to give a dog some training as a hearing service in order to come with me to anywhere where they can't tell me that i cant bring a dog with me such as going to a mall. :D seriously, i think dogs really enjoy their duties to please human beings.

Who Qualifies For A Hearing Dog?

Priority hearing dog candidates are adults over 18 years old who:

* have at least a 65 decibel hearing loss (unaided)
* live alone or with other persons who are deaf or hard of hearing (one hearing person living with applicant will be considered)
* do not have another dog in the home
* are physically able and willing to care for and continue the training of a hearing dog.

http://www.ihdi.org/ihdi_index.htm#qualifies

Last edited:
Jasin,

Those aren't Federal guidelines, those belong to a program. I don't and won't have a program dog, as I trained my own and any dog after this one I have now will be trained by me. I don't allow a program to dictate anything to me and the quicker that people with hearing loss understand this and are likewise in agreement, we will have programs that will tell us deaf people what we are and can do. You may want that, I don't. Time to show them the door and :nutkick:

Jasin,

Those aren't Federal guidelines, those belong to a program.

There are laws that prevent discrimination against people who have a hearing dog, but there are no federal guidelines for them. The government does not regulate hearing dogs nor does it provide anyone with them.

There are laws that prevent discrimination against people who have a hearing dog, but there are no federal guidelines for them. The government does not regulate hearing dogs nor does it provide anyone with them.
There are only two questions a business can ask a person with a service dog. Those questions are: 1. Is that a service dog? (If yes,) 2. What does your dog do for you?

On all other matters, it's best to refer to the Department of Justice: Commonly Asked Questions About Service Animals in Places of Business

I believe that you have to be pretty deaf in order to get a dog... as in completely deaf. I have a moderate to severe loss and I would never even consider using a dog because there are people who need the dogs more than people with hearing impairments in my opinion. It made me angry when I found out that a friend (she's a family friend) of mine's daughter who is severely disabled couldn't get a seizure dog. She goes on only 30% of her brain and has few means of communication, so she needed a dog to sense when she was having seizures (she has them weekly), but the request for a dog was rejected. Our disability is not near as severe enough that we should be getting dogs when there are people who need it more. Sorry for the vent. :lol:

Last edited:
What about dealing with gas leak, police pounding on your door, and protection?

My hearing ear dog can help me.

I unable listen sound . I hate a sound machine because I confused light. Threw it out. (too much any sounds) For example: I hammered any wood. Suddenly, I saw sound machine can hear sound and flash light. I knew that's false sound. I don't like machine! Dog is best help me then machine. What is about black out? If power failed. So person knocks at a door. Sound machine was dead. Or baby is crying but sound machine is dead. Bad idea machine. Just only canine! When I was going to sleep on a bed. About 1AM. Lilly jumped over my bed. I woke up and then I saw a flash light fire light. Thank you for Lilly saved my life!

She is a wonderful hearing ear dog!

If she got very sick and dying or retired dog. No problem! Trainer can gift another one dog for me. Same way blind guide dog.

Last edited:
I would like to have a hearing dog in thge future when im older if i want to live on my own. Becauuse I only really wear my HA inside the house and it doesnt give me much hearing and it would be usefull for at night times for smoke alarm

Hearing Loss and Hearing Ear Dogs

HearingHubby;983577 said in part..

My question to all you experts is, how bad does hearing need to be to get a service dog?

There is no set db loss that's required by either the Federal or State government to have a "Hearing Ear" dog.

How much of a hearing loss does it take to qualify?

Private "Hearing Ear" dog organizations may have certain requirements that they want met.. and those requirements may differ from one organization to another.

Does the ADA have a particular limit?

The ADA is a set of laws/rules and regulations that relates to "Service Animals" and their handlers ability to legally access places where non-service animals wouldn't be able to go.. and not how much of a db loss is required to have/use a "Hearing Ear" dog.

Does each state have its own definition, or is it just up to the Deaf person?

I don't quite understand your question, so I'll try to answer it this way. As it pertains to "Hearing Ear" dogs, some states require certain things.. while others don't. As a example: some states reduce licensing fees for service dogs while others don't charge at all. But remember, when it comes to access, Federal ADA Laws supercede all.

Now, here's some interesting information. There is NOTHING required by the ADA that says a "Service Animal" must be professionally trained... and/or certified. As a example: one can go the dog pound, pick up a stray dog and train them themselves as a "Hearing Ear" dog (or any other service). Granted, there are certain tasks that the "Hearing Ear" dog should be able to do to help the HOH/DEAF person.

Shi-Ku (Who has a "Hearing Ear" dog.) Chishiki ShiKu.Chishiki@Gmail.com

just a question, do you think hearing dogs should be permitted in schools? I don't. I'll tell you why, First of all, I think the teachers and students is responsible of keeping you aware what is going on so you don't need a hearing dog in school. Second, my son is highly allergic to dogs. He gets hives and asthma attack . My son can't help it that he is allergic to pets, and he is FORCED to go to school so it is not like we have a choice. So I don't think it is right that he has to choose someone's else disability over his when he goes to school, especially if his disability is a life and death disability (asthma).

About Poodle.... Hypoallergenic

just a question, do you think hearing dogs should be permitted in schools? I don't. I'll tell you why, First of all, I think the teachers and students is responsible of keeping you aware what is going on so you don't need a hearing dog in school. Second, my son is highly allergic to dogs. He gets hives and asthma attack . My son can't help it that he is allergic to pets, and he is FORCED to go to school so it is not like we have a choice. So I don't think it is right that he has to choose someone's else disability over his when he goes to school, especially if his disability is a life and death disability (asthma).

Good question... Don't worry....

Do you remember? One President's daughter Malia Obama. She got allergic dogs too. But She is very happy; she has a puppy. Portuguese Water dog. That's calling Hypoallergenic dog.

Hypoallergenic qualities:

Poodles are often cited as a hypoallergenic dog breed. The poodle's individual hair follicles have an active growth period that is longer than that of many other breeds of dogs; combined with the tightly curled coat, which slows the loss of dander and dead hair by trapping it in the curls, an individual poodle may release less dander and hair into the environment. In addition, most poodles are frequently brushed and bathed to keep them looking their best; this not only removes hair and dander, but also controls the other potent allergen, saliva.

Although hair, dander, and saliva can be minimized, they are still present and can stick to "clothes and the carpets and furnishings in your home"; inhaling them, or being licked by the dog, can trigger a reaction in a sensitive person.

The word hypoallergenic, when referring to a dog, is also a misconception; all dogs shed. Poodles shed in minimal amounts, but also shed hair so the dander is not as likely to trigger allergies as much as many other breeds.

They can't sneeze from Poodles, Portuguese Water Dogs, ETC...

Most Hypoallergenic Poodles, and Labradoodles, can help disable persons. (Blind, deaf, wheelchair and other disable persons )

Back