How are you feeling today?....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tired and achy. Not been sleeping well. Fighting depression. Sick of the musical tinnitus playing the same tunes over and over and over again.

I am recovering from my muscle injury and did go out today to run errands and was ok. Still , have to be off Zumba until next week. If all is good , I just might do zumba in the morning or Sat morning :)

I learn it on how on hear skills on noise and on hearing aid :P I was shopping clothes & pants!

Zippity do-da....Zippity hey-hey!...Oh, my, my!...What a Beautiful Day!

Plenty of Sunshine....No Chance of Rain.....feeling great this AM, so I'm gonna seize the day.

I'm tired today. I did my morning job search and will get cleaned up to go to yet another Audiologist appointment. Hearing aids make me annoyed, I should just cave and go BAHA. Until then though.. I will just drink lots of energy drinks to stay awake.

:wave: Enjoying the quiet sunny morning, sun streaming in the front window, being online, sipping my coffee. Enjoying the thought that I don't have to go or be anywhere today. I can just enjoy staying home. :P

Stressed, coz I'm doing schoolwork when I should be on spring break. I HATE GEOMETRY :/

Stressed, coz I'm doing schoolwork when I should be on spring break. I HATE GEOMETRY :/

Well - a word here about home schooling. I made my kids work year-round. They got plenty of time off for when grandparents came to visit or when we would make a day trip for something. Advantage to this: My son completed 2 years each year and my daughter with all her learning problems got all the review she needed.

Well - a word here about home schooling. I made my kids work year-round. They got plenty of time off for when grandparents came to visit or when we would make a day trip for something. Advantage to this: My son completed 2 years each year and my daughter with all her learning problems got all the review she needed.

That's a good system to have. Working all year round is a good plan, as long as the kids get time off sometimes. (Like for day trips or whatever.)

My problem is that since I have no teacher, and I'm trying to teach myself, I don't understand a lot of the material. (My parents don't teach me. I'm on my own.) So I'm struggling to try to make sense of all of the material, and I have no one to ask for help. I work from 7 am until midnight every day, 7 days a week, and I get no vacations or breaks. (Except when I sneak onto the internet for a few minutes when my mother's not looking.) I get a half day off on Sunday mornings for church, but that's it. And I'm taking honors courses which are very hard.

It's quite stressful... But I'm not complaining. (Okay, maybe a little. But I know that I shouldn't be complaining.) I only have about 8 more weeks of school left. Then we will be looking into different school options for next school year.

That's a good system to have. Working all year round is a good plan, as long as the kids get time off sometimes. (Like for day trips or whatever.)

My problem is that since I have no teacher, and I'm trying to teach myself, I don't understand a lot of the material. (My parents don't teach me. I'm on my own.) So I'm struggling to try to make sense of all of the material, and I have no one to ask for help. I work from 7 am until midnight every day, 7 days a week, and I get no vacations or breaks. (Except when I sneak onto the internet for a few minutes when my mother's not looking.) I get a half day off on Sunday mornings for church, but that's it. And I'm taking honors courses which are very hard.

It's quite stressful... But I'm not complaining. (Okay, maybe a little. But I know that I shouldn't be complaining.) I only have about 8 more weeks of school left. Then we will be looking into different school options for next school year.

When my son was doing Virtual School, the teachers were available to him by email and phone. Also, you might check with a local library. Most of them have links for homework help or something like that. My son completed high school in two years. He is currently 16 and done. Our state laws are such that, he must be enrolled in some kind of school program until he gets a diploma or GED or until 18. Well, he can't go for the GED at 16, he has to wait until he's 18, so that means, he doesn't qualify for a driver's license until he's 18.

When my son was doing Virtual School, the teachers were available to him by email and phone.

My teachers are technically available to me through phone and e-mail, too. But, I can't use a phone. I try to e-mail my teachers, and they either tell me to call them instead of e-mail, or they just don't answer my e-mails. And when they DO answer my e-mails, they just tell me to re-read the section in my textbook - "it's all right there". They won't answer my questions, and if they do, they just confuse me even more. It's annoying. :mad:

Also, you might check with a local library. Most of them have links for homework help or something like that.

I would go to the library, but I don't have any way to get there. This is why I need a car... But Google is my friend :)

My son completed high school in two years. He is currently 16 and done. Our state laws are such that, he must be enrolled in some kind of school program until he gets a diploma or GED or until 18. Well, he can't go for the GED at 16, he has to wait until he's 18, so that means, he doesn't qualify for a driver's license until he's 18.

If he finished high school at 16 and he was homeschooled, can't the parent issue a diploma to the student? I'm not totally sure about the laws in each state, but I have homeschooled friends and cousins, and their parents issued them their diplomas. (They all are in different states.) There are requirements for doing so, and the laws are different from state to state. As far as I know, homeschooled kids don't have to go get their GED; they can be issued a diploma. What kind of program is he doing now? And why can't he get his license until he's 18?

I would go to the library, but I don't have any way to get there. This is why I need a car... But Google is my friend :)

Does your library have a website? If so, you can get info there.

If he finished high school at 16 and he was homeschooled, can't the parent issue a diploma to the student? I'm not totally sure about the laws in each state, but I have homeschooled friends and cousins, and their parents issued them their diplomas. (They all are in different states.) There are requirements for doing so, and the laws are different from state to state. As far as I know, homeschooled kids don't have to go get their GED; they can be issued a diploma. What kind of program is he doing now? And why can't he get his license until he's 18?

We were doing a total eclectic approach to school as he found the virtual school was no0t a good fit for him. I have never heard of home school parents being able to issue a legal diploma for high school graduation. I have been in both Missouri and now in Florida and in both states, if the program you are doing does not have a diploma through their plans and such, the student would have to get their GED to be able to obtain a diploma for job requirements.

As to why my son can't get his license until he's 18: Florida has a law that states basically, that a person under the age of 18, must be in a school program, whether it's public, private, charter or home school to qualify for a license. It is their way of deterring high school drop-outs since there were a high number of them in this state for a long time. There still is. Even though my son finished school, because he was so young and we are not doing school anymore, he is considered a drop-out and does not qualify for his license. My daughter had the same problem. In her case, it wasn't a problem. She has massive learning disabilities that she can't go over grade 7 and constantly has to repeat grades 3-5. We had 2 different school districts in 2 different states tell me that she is unteachable and should be institutionalized. Well, she just turned 18 on 3/29. She has no desire to get a license.

As far as your teachers not being willing to work with you through email: Have they been informed that you have a hearing loss? Are you able to speak clearly? If so, you might see about getting a CapTel telephone. Most people can get them free through a state program. Check it out online. CapTel - Captioned Telephone | Hearing Loss, Hard of Hearing, Phones, Captioning, Phone Captions

It is a captioned phone. You speak like normal and the person you are calling goes through a relay service and it is typed out on the screen for you to read. Usually about a 3-5 second delay.

We were doing a total eclectic approach to school as he found the virtual school was no0t a good fit for him.

It's not a good fit for me, either. (As I've been told by a lot of cyber/virtual school students, it's not a good fit. Many students are miserable. There are very good programs out there, but it's not always a good fit for the student.)

I have never heard of home school parents being able to issue a legal diploma for high school graduation. I have been in both Missouri and now in Florida and in both states, if the program you are doing does not have a diploma through their plans and such, the student would have to get their GED to be able to obtain a diploma for job requirements.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a "legal" diploma. Do you mean a diploma that a public school would issue? Or a "certified" one from the state?

Here is a site that I found on the subject. (Keep in mind that I am not an expert, and I didn't read everything on the site.)

HSLDA | Homeschooling Thru High School : High School Diploma

In any event, it's probably best for your son to get his GED. Just thought that I'd mention this, though.

As to why my son can't get his license until he's 18: Florida has a law that states basically, that a person under the age of 18, must be in a school program, whether it's public, private, charter or home school to qualify for a license. It is their way of deterring high school drop-outs since there were a high number of them in this state for a long time. There still is. Even though my son finished school, because he was so young and we are not doing school anymore, he is considered a drop-out and does not qualify for his license. My daughter had the same problem. In her case, it wasn't a problem. She has massive learning disabilities that she can't go over grade 7 and constantly has to repeat grades 3-5. We had 2 different school districts in 2 different states tell me that she is unteachable and should be institutionalized. Well, she just turned 18 on 3/29. She has no desire to get a license.

Hmm. Well that's a dumb law, in my opinion. But I get the reasons for it. Is there any way that your son could take a few community college classes, or a Vo-Tech program or something? Would that count as being in a school program?

Keep in mind that the rules in PA are probably different from in Florida. But my cousin is 17 and was homeschooled. He finished high school when he was 16. He is now enrolled in a Vo-Tech program at our county's technical school. He hasn't taken his GED yet, but the technical school allowed him to enroll there without a high school diploma. (But keep in mind that this is a tech school that has programs for kids in high school, drop outs, and adults.) Maybe your son could do something similar? I don't know. It might count towards him being in a school program - then maybe he could get his license.

As far as your teachers not being willing to work with you through email: Have they been informed that you have a hearing loss? Are you able to speak clearly? If so, you might see about getting a CapTel telephone. Most people can get them free through a state program. Check it out online. CapTel - Captioned Telephone | Hearing Loss, Hard of Hearing, Phones, Captioning, Phone Captions

It is a captioned phone. You speak like normal and the person you are calling goes through a relay service and it is typed out on the screen for you to read. Usually about a 3-5 second delay.

Yes, my teachers have been informed of my hearing loss. Can I speak clearly? Well... kind of. I stutter and have some problems pronouncing things correctly, but generally yes, I can speak clear enough so people can understand me. Thanks for the link! I'll look into that.

Feeling left out... :(

There's a retreat that will explain and then offer a guided meditative labyrinth meditation walk. Only trouble is...it's offered in ASL only. As I'm just a newbie learning ASL, I don't feel I could go.

The retreat leader is someone I know, and I have attended another one day retreat she offered to Deaf and HOH, but it was funded by the local Deaf/HOH advocacy group, so she could include CART as well as sign the retreat herself. I emailed her to ask if she would offer this retreat again for the HOH at some point, as she often tries to do, when she can get outside funding. She explained that CART services average $70/hour in our area, and if she included it, the fee for the day would be too high for most people.

I get that; I really do. And I'm not upset about it. Just sad to lose an opportunity. If I'm the only one needed CART, I certainly don't feel everyone should have to pay a high price to come. Nor can I afford to hire CART on my own.

Backstory of trying something in the "hearing world:" In the "hearing world" I joined a meditation group that met weekly. I really liked the people; they really did try to accommodate my hearing needs by facing me, trying to speak up. But the acoustics were lousy in the room, each person had their own speech peculiarities and I don't read lips (I am trying to learn *that,* too, along with ASL :angel:). The Zen Center does not have the $$$ for CART or even an ASL interpreter, nor does the group itself, nor do I. And it is an intimate setting, and having a stranger might be invasive. So, I left the group after trying for several months. I didn't feel that I could truly be supportive and a part of the group when I could not understand what was being said half the time.

So, even though I blame no one, I feel left out, you know? If this labyrinth retreat was offered in the "hearing world," I wouldn't attend, either. Unless there is funding available, sometimes accommodation just is difficult to obtain. :|

Still, family is coming over for a traditional ham dinner. We have chocolate bunnies to consume. So it's not all a downer, for sure! ;)

relaxed- took me a good nap this evenly...i really needed it..got up earlier for Easter..

Feeling alright....would feel a lot better if our darn cat would stop making such messes...digging in the plants...jumping on the counters and knocking things over....attacking my little doggie....just being an *a-hole!*

I'm procrastinating getting moving and running errands. Too comfy here w/ my coffee mug, sleeping dog, quiet house, etc. :giggle: Must "bestir" myself, though, as I have movies due at the library and late charges are $3 a day, but free to check out, so I *am* getting motivated, LOL! :lol:

I'm procrastinating getting moving and running errands. Too comfy here w/ my coffee mug, sleeping dog, quiet house, etc. :giggle: Must "bestir" myself, though, as I have movies due at the library and late charges are $3 a day, but free to check out, so I *am* getting motivated, LOL! :lol:

lol wow $3 charge a day is kinda alot to me. Mine is like 50 cents per day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back