Houston Father Shoots Drunk Driver who killed his two sons...

NitroHonda

Reaction score
So this is an interesting case, and I'm interested to see what you all think about it. Should the father be tried for murder? If so, what degree? Manslaughter? Would/should a jury convict him of anything? Should temporary insanity play into the case? What would you do in his situation?

HOUSTON — A Texas man has been charged with murder in the fatal shooting at a crash scene of a suspected drunken driver who authorities say plowed into his sons as they helped push their family's broken-down pickup truck along a dark, narrow, rural road.

David Barajas, 31, and his sons, 12-year-old David Jr. and 11-year-old Caleb, were about 50 yards from their Houston-area home when a car crashed into them. David Jr. died at the scene, while Caleb died later at a hospital.

Neighbors said they heard gunshots minutes after the Dec. 7 crash near Alvin, about 30 miles southeast of Houston. Jose Banda, the 20-year-old driver who hit the boys, was later found shot in the head. His death was ruled a homicide.

Brazoria County sheriff's investigator Dominick Sanders said Monday that witnesses told authorities they saw Barajas, right after the crash, walk to his home and then return a few minutes later and approach Banda's vehicle. Evidence showed one shot was fired, he said.

"Every time we would pursue a lead, it always came back to Mr. Barajas," Sanders said. "We have numerous statements placing him there at the car in close proximity to the victim at the time the gunshot was fired."

Barajas was indicted for murder Friday and turned himself in Sunday. He was being held Monday in the Brazoria County Jail on a $450,000 bond. Court records did not list an attorney for him.

Gabriel Barajas, David Barajas' brother, had previously said his sibling had remembered the crash as a "blur" and called speculation that his brother or another family member might have been responsible for Banda's murder "ugly."

Barajas' wife, Cindy, was in the truck when it was hit, along with the couple's 8-year-old daughter and 3-month-old son.

A search of Barajas' home found ammunition that is consistent with the bullet that killed Banda, but authorities have not located the weapon used in the shooting, Sanders said. The case is "going to be much more difficult if we don't have a weapon," he added.

Gunshot residue tests were done on both Barajas and Banda, and authorities are still waiting for those results, Sanders said.

Investigators also are awaiting DNA test results of some "biological material" that was found at the scene. Sanders declined to elaborate on the material that is being tested.

Texas father charged in fatal shooting of suspected drunk driver who killed his sons » Corpus Christi Caller-Times

There is no good ending to this story. :(

My decision is simple. This was a blood revenge call. I don't know which Indian nations practiced this prior to Contact, but I know it was practiced by the Cherokees.

I think the question we have to ask ourselves is, "Is it wrong for whites to impose their sense of Justice on those who may be practicing the sense of Justice that was common in at least one Indian nation?"

I can totally sympathize with the father. I lost my last partner to a drunk driver last year. My guess is, it happened in north Houston, where she was killed. This is justifiable homicide. This is the way things worked in the Cherokee Nation. I was F* angry when I saw the article in the break room at work. Fortunately, I was just getting off and nobody was around. Indicted for murder??? GD!!!!!!!! There was no temporary insanity about this! He was in his right to do so!

RELEASE THE MAN!! I want to see a protest happen!!!

My decision is simple. This was a blood revenge call. I don't know which Indian nations practiced this prior to Contact, but I know it was practiced by the Cherokees.

I think the question we have to ask ourselves is, "Is it wrong for whites to impose their sense of Justice on those who may be practicing the sense of Justice that was common in at least one Indian nation?"

I can totally sympathize with the father. I lost my last partner to a drunk driver last year. My guess is, it happened in north Houston, where she was killed. This is justifiable homicide. This is the way things worked in the Cherokee Nation. I was F* angry when I saw the article in the break room at work. Fortunately, I was just getting off and nobody was around. Indicted for murder??? GD!!!!!!!! There was no temporary insanity about this! He was in his right to do so!

RELEASE THE MAN!! I want to see a protest happen!!!

That's not going to happen. The problem with this case is the very fact that he went home to get the gun before shooting the drunk driver. He'll be charged and convicted of first degree murder. What needs to happen is that... he gets convicted, sentenced to community service, then our governor needs to pardon him.

I'm originally from Houston and know a lot of folks in the community. I hope it wasn't someone I knew. I'm sorry to hear about your partner. I hadn't heard about any Deaf people killed by a drunk driver last year. Pretty much all I can remember is a lady disappearing to Arizona or someplace like that.

People saying that they wouldn't want to be on that jury? Hell... I say put ME on it. I won't be passing out a conviction for murder charges. As far as I'm concerned, he did us a favor.

I'm gonna *cough* look other way for this case

That's not going to happen. The problem with this case is the very fact that he went home to get the gun before shooting the drunk driver. He'll be charged and convicted of first degree murder. What needs to happen is that... he gets convicted, sentenced to community service, then our governor needs to pardon him.

I'm sorry to hear about your partner. I hadn't heard about any Deaf people killed by a drunk driver last year. Pretty much all I can remember is a lady disappearing to Arizona or someplace like that.

People saying that they wouldn't want to be on that jury? Hell... I say put ME on it. I won't be passing out a conviction for murder charges. As far as I'm concerned, he did us a favor.

not pardoned. commuted.

not pardoned. commuted.

Why? He needs to be pardoned so he can start to pick up the pieces of his life. His actions put his little girl and wife through so much more as they face the possibility of losing him for 20 years minimum.

Why? He needs to be pardoned so he can start to pick up the pieces of his life. His actions put his little girl and wife through so much more as they face the possibility of losing him for 20 years minimum.

because he committed a crime.

commuted means he did commit a crime but he doesn't have to go to jail.

because he committed a crime.

commuted means he did commit a crime but he doesn't have to go to jail.

I understand what commuting means. You can still go to jail and be commuted. I just think this would be a perfect opportunity for a full pardon. This way he goes through the system and the system gets the "win" that they are looking for before he gets pardoned.

win/win.

I understand what commuting means. You can still go to jail and be commuted. I just think this would be a perfect opportunity for a full pardon. This way he goes through the system and the system gets the "win" that they are looking for before he gets pardoned.

win/win.

you can't do both. I don't think there's ever a case where a person's sentence is commuted and then eventually pardoned.

you can't do both. I don't think there's ever a case where a person's sentence is commuted and then eventually pardoned.

Just saw your edit. You're the only one who's talking about it getting commuted.

Let me clarify my stance... and rephrase the community service aspect.

I hope he gets convicted, a minimum sentence, and ultimately pardoned. He's going to have to sit in jail no matter what.

Temporarily insanity is my guess....dunno if I would have done the same thing tho'....but damn sure I would have wanted to.

Just saw your edit. You're the only one who's talking about it getting commuted.

right. I mean - I say he should be charged but his sentence be commuted so that he doesn't have to go to jail. it works better this way.

Pardoning him for a murder would be very bad for public in a legal sense and especially for governor's career. just a huge mess.

right. I mean - I say he should be charged but his sentence be commuted. he doesn't have to go to jail. it works better this way.

Pardoning him for a murder would be very bad for public in a legal sense and especially for governor's career. just a huge mess.

I generally agree but I don't think so in this case. Especially if alcohol is confirmed to have been involved. As of now there has been no proof the 20 yr old was drunk.

I generally agree but I don't think so in this case. Especially if alcohol is confirmed to have been involved. As of now there has been no proof the 20 yr old was drunk.

:eek3:

If they can prove David is mentally sound, then it was most likely a crime of passion. He may have felt proper justice would not be done, so he took matters into his own hands to shoot the DUI convict. In that case, it can be classified justifiable homicide.

Texas Penal Code Section 9 metions instances where justifiable homicide is allowed:
PENAL CODE**CHAPTER 9. JUSTIFICATION EXCLUDING CRIMINAL RESPONSIBILITY

I think it'll depend on which court gets his case, and which judge. If it's a county it will be more likely to be lenient. If it's a district, then he might get charged with death. Hopefully he just gets life with no parole at the worst, but I have a feeling he may just get some x number of years.

Since he's a minority, I hope there will be no disparity on the decision (some older fashioned judges have actually done that hat) made by the judge.

David Barajas will be found guilty of the murder since it was not self-defense. That's it.

Back