Hopelessness

It was not thousand and thousand years ago. That was almost over 500 years in South America and North America when the White men came to the shores in their big boats. Like Columbus, they were not very kind to our Native ancestors, either. They got help from our Native ancestors because the White sailors and maybe some women (if they were ever there with them) got hungry. They don't know how to survive in the wilderness. So the Natives had to teach them how to fish and planted corns and other crops.

Every Fall, they, the Natives, had thanked the Creator for their crops that they had planted. That is their way of thanking the Creator every day. The Whites took that symbol of Thanksgiving with food that the Natives brought to them. It is not the same like the modern Thanksgiving. Our Native ancestors did not have turkey but many other native foods to bring on the table so that the Whites and some of the Natives can have good food to eat without worry about starving to death. But then things change because the Whites have been abusing the Natives and tried to take their lands away from them.

The Natives were here first and the Whites did not show any respect to them for their hospitality just because they came over and wanted freedom and grabbed any thing they wanted to steal and murdered many Native people like that. That was a very cruel behavior of the White people, even the Pilgrims. You don't know the stories. The textbooks at elementary and high school were wrong on this. Those are lies from that textbooks. I bet you that most history were being covered up to make them believe that this is true which it is not. :(

You're wrong a lot of people here are very aware of happen to the Native American .
My dad family had to leave their village in Russia b/c the Pogroms were killing Jewish people and destroying their homes which shacks with dirt floors .
Watch 'Fiddler on the roof' and you'll get an idea what my family went through ,. My dad's father had to leave his village and when he came back his wife was pregnant . He did not believe it was his baby , he thought his wife been raped . My dad did not keep talking about his horrible past , he worked his ass off to be able to live in his own house that had real floors and have enough money to buy food for his whole family and to have food for the next day . It was horrible what happen to your people but sadly this happen to other races . Native American do not have a monopoly on genocide .

See, there was piles and piles of crap happening throughout history.

You are right WDYS - no one has monopoly on misery,
and it's a given that there is always someone in current generation thinking "olden times were golden times".

Things are what they are, life go forward, every generation have it's good points and bad points.

Fuzzy

It was not thousand and thousand years ago. That was almost over 500 years in South America and North America when the White men came to the shores in their big boats. Like Columbus, they were not very kind to our Native ancestors, either. They got help from our Native ancestors because the White sailors and maybe some women (if they were ever there with them) got hungry. They don't know how to survive in the wilderness. So the Natives had to teach them how to fish and planted corns and other crops.

Every Fall, they, the Natives, had thanked the Creator for their crops that they had planted. That is their way of thanking the Creator every day. The Whites took that symbol of Thanksgiving with food that the Natives brought to them. It is not the same like the modern Thanksgiving. Our Native ancestors did not have turkey but many other native foods to bring on the table so that the Whites and some of the Natives can have good food to eat without worry about starving to death. But then things change because the Whites have been abusing the Natives and tried to take their lands away from them.

The Natives were here first and the Whites did not show any respect to them for their hospitality just because they came over and wanted freedom and grabbed any thing they wanted to steal and murdered many Native people like that. That was a very cruel behavior of the White people, even the Pilgrims. You don't know the stories. The textbooks at elementary and high school were wrong on this. Those are lies from that textbooks. I bet you that most history were being covered up to make them believe that this is true which it is not. :(

Umm, It is not about the Natives. It was about wicked things and sinful people did do to other people. Rape, murder, hate, steal, greedy, sloth, wrath (abuse the power), immoral acts with babies and children, cannialism, jealous, racism, genocide and you name it...they are still the same nowadays comparing to the thousand years ago. That was what Shel90 asked a question as if anyone believes things and people are getting worse than the past or whatnot. Hope that this clears up for you.

By the way, Bebonang, yes I know pretty enough already about the facts of what happened to the Natives in America especially Quebec when the Vikings first came and what the white men had done to them. I learned everything the bunch stuffs about it few years ago. Thanks to the untold documentary films of the natives and few various Deaf Natives' vlogs lecturing in ASL based on the facts about genocide created by White Europeans and sexual abuses at Catholic boarding school for the Native children whose were taken away from their families. i knew that there were a lot of things did not mention in the school textbooks. Why do you think that I do not celebrate/honor Columbus Day and Thanksgiving Day? I have always crossed out with a black marker on 'Columbus Day' and replaced to 'Indigenous Day' on the calendar every year.

I have read "Kiss of the Fur Queen" by Tomson Highway.
Is about two Okimasis brothers taken forcibly (meaning, they had to go) from their home in the prairies to the Roman Catholic boarding school where they endured years of sexual abuse by the priest.

In this book Highway writes not only how from the minute the little Cree children arrive at the church grounds begins shocking, merciless, cruel robbery, a slash of their identity by RK nuns and other church workers,
how this torture continues and never ends,

(in fact, it starts at home being ripped away from their parents but until the arrival everything is still fairly 'normal')

- but also how the two brothers grow up, leave school and experience life
somewhere else. by doing so Tompson writes about few other aspects of Native most pressing problems in society. i.e racism and white- native violence. how the brothers' life is affected by abuse, of course and many other things.

So, yeah, as you see white people do read things that at least give them an inkling of the injustice and cruelty that had fallen upon the Natives.
Please do not assume everybody is ignorant.

I too, watch documentaries concerning Native lives.
The one time I was watching it was about early pioneer life and learned about Metis people, and how there was no place for them in neither in white nor Native society. How terrible, not belonging.
also I learned (although I do not remember now why it was so, exactly,) that native people in olden time had well organized life on house roofs.
not sure if it was from the same documentary.
I watched also some time ago about Edward S. Curtis who photographed native people in XIX century. there was a historical background told, and shown grand images depicting life then and Native people.

Little by little, one learns quite a lot.

Fuzzy

Back