hopefully good news about ABI

I am really interested what you will think of it when it is turned on. My husband's cousin with NF2 decided not to do it, but I wonder if you will think it is really great.

if you dont mind me asking, do you know why he decided not to go with it?

I have type 2 also.

Thanks for all of the support peeps.

And for those of you wondering why I cant use the CI. The CI works with a "living" organ. I need an ABI because...when the tumor is removed it will "kill" the organ, therefore a CI would be uselss. An ABI bypasses the cochlea and goes directly to the brainstem (auditory brainstem implant--ABI)

If anybody has any info. about the ABI that would be great

Sounds like good news! What sort of info are you looking for about the ABI? I know a moderate amount about the various flavors of ABI, but work in the lab with a full time ABI audiologist.

Sounds like good news! What sort of info are you looking for about the ABI? I know a moderate amount about the various flavors of ABI, but work in the lab with a full time ABI audiologist.

I was supposed to meet with a few doctors from california the friday before last, but they ended up not being there. I was planning on asking them some questions.

A few things I was wanting to ask them:

What can I expect from the implant?
Is it possible to damage the implant from loud noised?
Will i be able to go swimming and fully submerge my head in water?

Im sure I have other questions, but I dont want to give you a laundry list of questions

I was supposed to meet with a few doctors from california the friday before last, but they ended up not being there. I was planning on asking them some questions.

A few things I was wanting to ask them:

What can I expect from the implant?
Is it possible to damage the implant from loud noised?
Will i be able to go swimming and fully submerge my head in water?

Im sure I have other questions, but I dont want to give you a laundry list of questions

1. What can you expect from the implant?
Do I recall that you are an NF2 patient? If so, NF2 patients typically find the ABI to be a useful aid to lipreading and can help them communicate but are not able to understand "open-set speech". Ie, you would still need to lip-read. There is a brand new exception to the rule. A surgeon in Europe has recently been implanting NF2 patients with ABIs of which about half can talk on the telephone successfully. We've done hundreds at the House Ear Institute and none of our NF2 patients have been that successful with an ABI. I think the surgeon's name was something like Bayer (not sure about that) and that he is based in Warsaw Poland (also not sure off the top of my head.) It is now a big question in the ABI community as to why he's getting better results.

2. Is it possible to damage the implant from loud noised?
No.

3. Will i be able to go swimming and fully submerge my head in water?
Yes, but not while wearing the external signal processor.

The ABI is basically a cochlear implant, except the electrodes are not in the cochlea but in the brainstem. The externals are the same. The internal package is the same. Only the electrode array is different (and performance with the device.)

David

1. What can you expect from the implant?
Do I recall that you are an NF2 patient? If so, NF2 patients typically find the ABI to be a useful aid to lipreading and can help them communicate but are not able to understand "open-set speech". Ie, you would still need to lip-read. There is a brand new exception to the rule. A surgeon in Europe has recently been implanting NF2 patients with ABIs of which about half can talk on the telephone successfully. We've done hundreds at the House Ear Institute and none of our NF2 patients have been that successful with an ABI. I think the surgeon's name was something like Bayer (not sure about that) and that he is based in Warsaw Poland (also not sure off the top of my head.) It is now a big question in the ABI community as to why he's getting better results.

David

One of my m8s with NF2 can hear things like a baby crying across the room without looking but she is *star* user she had op in the usa

Back