Honest questions from a hearing person;

Hey guys, I'm Sara. I'm into hot rods, awesome tunes, and good people. Did I mention I'm 5 months pregnant? ;) Any parents here have kids 5 years apart or two boy household?

Welcome, Sara. It is nice to see a woman interested in hot rods for a change...:lol:

Congrats on the bun in the oven. My son is 6 years older than my 15 year old daughter. Girls are so cute and full of joy until they become teenagers. Boys are boys forever. Just be sure to have extra insurance for all the broken stuff you will have.

I became deaf when I was 4. Did not know ASL until college. Now I mostly use PSL, depending on who I talk to, can do ASL or SEE.

Growing up being the only deaf kid in all public grade schools was very lonely at times. I went to a deaf school at 5, and after one year, the teachers said that I need to be in regular schools to meet my educational level.

Point taken. Ill change my name thing, and Id much rather make a couple friends then do a culture screening. But I guess I didn't know how to "start". I feel like I'm an outsider in the corner lol.

Of course you guys are normal lol. I'm not expecting some crazy stuff. More like you said just get to know you and make a few friends.

So lets start over:
Hey guys, I'm Sara. I'm into hot rods, awesome tunes, and good people. Did I mention I'm 5 months pregnant? ;) Any parents here have kids 5 years apart or two boy household?

I have kids who are 8 years apart. The older one is a girl and the younger one is a boy. My daughter is 16 and my son is 7 years old.

However, I have two other kids in my household and they are 15 years old and 9 years old.

I feel like I have 4 kids now. :)

Deaf here since birth.

Ok I have always been hoh.
My kids are grown up, so at this point, between the two of them I have six grandchildren, aged 7,6,5, 3, and 1. (the 1 year olds are twins) And only one is a boy.

My main interest is dogs. :)

Born profoundly Deaf. We have two sons, one is 11 and the other is almost 4. The oldest is Deaf and the youngest is hearing.

Point taken. Ill change my name thing

I don't see why you should have to. Here's irony on AllDeaf...people get "offended" by someone's handle for posting but no one thought it was wrong a while ago to start a Catholic bashing thread telling the new pope to "burn in Hell." You choose a name that's funny and some people have the audacity to tell you change it? Forget about how nice you come off, just ignore that entirely, you have to change something right away to please them. There's nothing with your name, I knew right off what you meant and I wasn't offended.

To answer your question, my mother had Rubella so I came out with mod/severe loss in both ears but I wasn't tested until I six. I only had one hearing aid for a year until the state stepped in and helped my parents so I could have two. I was mainstreamed and never learned ASL and didn't miss out on anything because it. I still don't know the language. My mother was Sicilian born so my home had a lot of love and the only hardship I had was because of a learning disability that resulted in a lot of bullying at school. Welcome to AllDeaf, NotSoHardofHearing....feel free to PM anytime...:wave:

Laura

I was mainstreamed and never learned ASL and didn't miss out on anything because it. I still don't know the language.

Same here.. except dad was in the military, so his approach to deafness was like, life sucks, get used to it, learn to read lips or something. So I did, never learned the language either.

Hello, each people are different regardless of deaf or not.

For example, I'm deaf and like cars with turbocharged engine. I also have a fantasy of teaching deaf cats and deaf ferrets ASL. I'm sure that there are a lot of hearing people who would love an opportunity to teach deaf ferrets and deaf cats ASL.

We're no different from every one else except for the fact that I wear a Chicago Bears jacket that has a non working zipper.

I share this fantasy. Teaching ASL to a deaf ferret would be amazing and a life achieving goal.

Cats won't mind being left out. They'll prefer cat nips over ASL lessons.

Cat-wants-catnip-in-every-recipe.jpeg

I am really bored but I like how the OP just vanished just like all the other hearies, which is exactly what green427 is talking about.

I was being a smart aleck and truthfully it's just a tad annoying when I see those hearie questions over and over when it's already been answered and discussed in detail.

Here are some threads to get you started:

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-ou...andle-your-deafness-hoh-while-growing-up.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/57859-interview-growing-up-deaf.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/63815-learning-about-deaf-culture.html

Hint, google is a better search engine than the forum's built-in search feature. Here's a google linky that will show you some more hits: https://www.google.com/search?q=sit...=chrome.0.57j58.9213&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

:iough:

That is silly!. her own on question answer! easy! not your own think mind!

None taken.

We don't mind answering questions...it is the method we are irritated with.

We would rather you actively participate in posting here and get to know us.

95% of hearing people that are "curious" start out with questions like you asked, and after a couple weeks, never return....so we all expect the same thing over and over.

Feel free to participate, but it is probably better if you take the time to read many of the posts, get a feel for what we are like, then fire away with questions.

Sadly, you will find that we are just like hearing people from all walks of life, and argue with each other over stupid stuff, so there is not much to get excited about.......:lol:

It's sad that I'm in the 95th percentile of giving an actual damn about d/Deaf people over the long term, especially considering that awful flame-war I caused. :laugh2:

So, dereksbicycles, how do you plan to test the cats' expressive ASL skills? I don't think they can make most of the handshapes... right?

That is interesting-persons answering their own query here.

One way to key on computers which "begs the question "-worthwhile exercise answering yourself? Does this "suggest" a person with a "lot of time on their hands" without any other possible activity?

aside: just checked with my cat- what does this mean? Bad news: she is sleeping!

It's sad that I'm in the 95th percentile of giving an actual damn about d/Deaf people over the long term, especially considering that awful flame-war I caused. :laugh2:

So, dereksbicycles, how do you plan to test the cats' expressive ASL skills? I don't think they can make most of the handshapes... right?

Just give cats something to smile or purr about and maybe they'll sign to you :). They may not be able to sign "angry", but they should be able to sign "fed up". Worth a try.

I suppose "wanting to know about our secret culture" should be added to that list?
Look man, I'm not trying to pry or even asking for a bio. But I don't know how to ask what its like to be deaf. I don't want you guys to think I want to pity you or even that its a disability. I see it as an obstacle many have over come. I'm just trying to learn about another way of life.

My teacher is deaf. As was her mother and her 4 year old daughter. She has a website for KODA (kids of deaf adults) and runs events for deaf kids and parents. Shes told me that when her daughter was born she didn't know if signing was even getting through to her baby. Shes a great mom, and a damn cool person. Shes asked that we do a deaf event. I'm big into classics and found a car show sponsored by a deaf school. Thought it was awesome and it peaked my interest.

I get the cold shoulder thing. Infact I myself would probably do the same. But sue me for trying. Would you rather I be like so many of those 'hearies' you guys hate? Disrespectful and rude? I respect you as I do all other human beings. At least I'm trying.

If I have offended any of you I apologize. Wasn't my intention.

Hey don't second guess your intentions, there are just some people that don't realize that new people aren't familiar with or understand the "protocol" around here. Don't take it personally some are just blunt.

Back