Honest questions from a hearing person;

NotSoHardOfHearing

Reaction score
Good evening all!
I hope no one takes offance to my butting in!! But as a hearing person who is currently in an ASL class, I have quite the list of questions for you. First I'd like to thank you for even answering. I promise nothing to personal, but I'd like to know about your life, and culture.

First ill tell you about myself:
My name is Sara. I'm a 26 year old mom, an in school for radiology. I live in California. I haven't had the pleasure of speaking with a deaf or HH person, as my skills are beginner at best.

Ok! First question;
Have you always been deaf/HH? Would you mind sharing if not? How was growing up for you? Anything you care to share?

We aren't so different at all, except I'm a little more curious then most.

Any questions for me, please, feel free to ask!

Hello, each people are different regardless of deaf or not.

For example, I'm deaf and like cars with turbocharged engine. I also have a fantasy of teaching deaf cats and deaf ferrets ASL. I'm sure that there are a lot of hearing people who would love an opportunity to teach deaf ferrets and deaf cats ASL.

We're no different from every one else except for the fact that I wear a Chicago Bears jacket that has a non working zipper.

Well if curiosity killed the cat-- "meow"

Funny fact: I have 3 cats and a ferret. He is not deaf but acts like it lol.

Sucks about your zipper.

How long have you guys been a part of this site?

I suppose "wanting to know about our secret culture" should be added to that list?
Look man, I'm not trying to pry or even asking for a bio. But I don't know how to ask what its like to be deaf. I don't want you guys to think I want to pity you or even that its a disability. I see it as an obstacle many have over come. I'm just trying to learn about another way of life.

My teacher is deaf. As was her mother and her 4 year old daughter. She has a website for KODA (kids of deaf adults) and runs events for deaf kids and parents. Shes told me that when her daughter was born she didn't know if signing was even getting through to her baby. Shes a great mom, and a damn cool person. Shes asked that we do a deaf event. I'm big into classics and found a car show sponsored by a deaf school. Thought it was awesome and it peaked my interest.

I get the cold shoulder thing. Infact I myself would probably do the same. But sue me for trying. Would you rather I be like so many of those 'hearies' you guys hate? Disrespectful and rude? I respect you as I do all other human beings. At least I'm trying.

If I have offended any of you I apologize. Wasn't my intention.

I suppose "wanting to know about our secret culture" should be added to that list?
Look man, I'm not trying to pry or even asking for a bio. But I don't know how to ask what its like to be deaf. I don't want you guys to think I want to pity you or even that its a disability. I see it as an obstacle many have over come. I'm just trying to learn about another way of life.

My teacher is deaf. As was her mother and her 4 year old daughter. She has a website for KODA (kids of deaf adults) and runs events for deaf kids and parents. Shes told me that when her daughter was born she didn't know if signing was even getting through to her baby. Shes a great mom, and a damn cool person. Shes asked that we do a deaf event. I'm big into classics and found a car show sponsored by a deaf school. Thought it was awesome and it peaked my interest.

I get the cold shoulder thing. Infact I myself would probably do the same. But sue me for trying. Would you rather I be like so many of those 'hearies' you guys hate? Disrespectful and rude? I respect you as I do all other human beings. At least I'm trying.

Are you from PA?

I agree. It was nice and I got to use these new found skills of mine. It was hard to finger spell a lot of comments about engines, but I got lucky and people were patient and some could read lips :)

Cool, nice to know that more Deaf schools are offering auto shows. If one in Indiana, Wisconsin, or Illionis offers one, then I would go.

I was being a smart aleck and truthfully it's just a tad annoying when I see those hearie questions over and over when it's already been answered and discussed in detail.

Here are some threads to get you started:

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-ou...andle-your-deafness-hoh-while-growing-up.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/57859-interview-growing-up-deaf.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/63815-learning-about-deaf-culture.html

Hint, google is a better search engine than the forum's built-in search feature. Here's a google linky that will show you some more hits: https://www.google.com/search?q=sit...=chrome.0.57j58.9213&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

:iough:

None taken.

We don't mind answering questions...it is the method we are irritated with.

We would rather you actively participate in posting here and get to know us.

95% of hearing people that are "curious" start out with questions like you asked, and after a couple weeks, never return....so we all expect the same thing over and over.

Feel free to participate, but it is probably better if you take the time to read many of the posts, get a feel for what we are like, then fire away with questions.

Sadly, you will find that we are just like hearing people from all walks of life, and argue with each other over stupid stuff, so there is not much to get excited about.......:lol:

None taken.

We don't mind answering questions...it is the method we are irritated with.

We would rather you actively participate in posting here and get to know us.

95% of hearing people that are "curious" start out with questions like you asked, and after a couple weeks, never return....so we all expect the same thing over and over.

Feel free to participate, but it is probably better if you take the time to read many of the posts, get a feel for what we are like, then fire away with questions.

Sadly, you will find that we are just like hearing people from all walks of life, and argue with each other over stupid stuff, so there is not much to get excited about.......:lol:

Point taken. Ill change my name thing, and Id much rather make a couple friends then do a culture screening. But I guess I didn't know how to "start". I feel like I'm an outsider in the corner lol.

Of course you guys are normal lol. I'm not expecting some crazy stuff. More like you said just get to know you and make a few friends.

So lets start over:
Hey guys, I'm Sara. I'm into hot rods, awesome tunes, and good people. Did I mention I'm 5 months pregnant? ;) Any parents here have kids 5 years apart or two boy household?

Back