Home Renovation/Construction

The only brand family I know that needs relay module connecting to their alarm to trigger different circuit like strobe light for instance is Kidde family brand. Gentex makes strobe built in smoke alarm, but they don't make CO alarm with strobe built in.
I need more time to research and figure out how to add light on CO alarm for my RV. At least I got hearing kids, and don't want to depend on them 2 long, and they sleep on other side of RV from where we sleep. Oh well.

We have a whole house alarm and when my kids lived at home, none of them woke up when the house alarm went off. My husband didn't wake up either. We are looking into getting a new, deaf friendly alarm soon. I hate being home alone, sleeping and not know if something is going on in my house. Like AlleyCat stated, peace of mind is worth so much.

We ordered new carpet today, should be installed in about a week. Hopefully will be getting our kitchen cabinets done soon too. So expensive!!!!

Nevermind the Video Relay Service. it is not what I am referring to, what I am referring to is a devices called Relay, or Relay contacts. This is what I used to tied up with most of my house light switch (3 way switch is required) and have the coil on relay tied to smoke and CO alarms.

Its really sadden me that most CO alarm manufacturers refused to make such important accommodation for the Deaf and took many Deafies lives away like LuciaDistrub that we know from here.

large_156_8-Relays-cu-800.jpg

The picture is almost exact what I have, without the circuit board. Each blue device control one 3-way switch. The purpose of this is to make it work EVEN when the light switch is in "Off" position. I also hate strobes with passion. I somewhat lost my mind when strobes light kicks in and cause short term confusion. I grew up in Deaf School where they used flood light as alarm instead of strobe. They changed to strobes after I left Deaf School.

Now, tell me how many Deafies who owns home have such devices like these? Maybe very few of them. I am not here to brag, but to educate anyone, and in hope to have these ignorant manufacturers checked my comment and realize the need of such accommodation.

I refused wired 120V on doorbell button, too dangerous that way. I used whats called no voltage relay coil, they used grounding to detect on and off position on doorbell button so there is no shocking hazard. I had confused building inspector when I installed wood burning stove. He never heard of such system that I built and was very impressed on how much safety I put in. He send me letter certify my installation as "Beyond minimum safety requirement" In other word it means that its much safer than whats required by law.

Again, here I do not tolerate any insults or ignorant from anyone. I only welcome education and respect of safety.

I live in a condo and I am the only one hoh in my building which has 4 units . I really doubt my condo would put in CO alarm for deaf people in the hallway. I could put in my unit but I would have to hire someone to do that . We have gas heat here and the gas line marker is right in front my building .

I live in a condo and I am the only one hoh in my building which has 4 units . I really doubt my condo would put in CO alarm for deaf people in the hallway. I could put in my unit but I would have to hire someone to do that . We have gas heat here and the gas line marker is right in front my building .

Check with state laws - some states require CO alarm in rental properties.

If not, you have to buy battery powered CO alarm.

quartz, its even heavier! I tried to lift one and couldn't!

Real woodtop counter is nice but it won't withstand hot bottom pots and pans. Quartz and granite can handle and take the heat from hot bottoms, this is precisely why its popular.

well - I'd say it's because granite/quartz looks very nice and adds a very good value to your house.

anyway.... ever heard of silicone coaster?
71zisdfz6AL._SY355_.jpg

and I think everyone knows you should never put a hot pot/pan on any table - wood, granite, quartz, etc. for safety reason. what do you think what will happen if you put away a hot pot/pan from granite/quartz countertop? that area will still be very hot. and.... it can still damage/discolor the top from repeated uses.

same thing for putting a drink on a coaster.

That's interesting, we have laminate counter-tops but I noticed many of them replaced laminate with granite or Quartz. I prefer real wood counter-top but it may be not durable as like others.

Which is more expensive - granite or Quartz?

I guess granite is more expensive since quartz is "fake granite"

http://info.leezasurfaces.com/blog/bid/81630/9-Reasons-Why-You-Should-Choose-Quartz-vs-Granite
1. Cost. Every homeowner has a budget for their home renovations. You want the best value for your money. Quartz is less expensive than exotic granite. If your kitchen is large with lots of counter space, the cost of your counter top can quickly rise to high numbers. With quartz, you don't have to compromise a great look for an affordable price.

http://homerenovations.about.com/od/kitchencounters/a/QuartzVsGraniteCountertops.htm
2. Cost

No bargains with either product. If you want to save money, go elsewhere--laminate being your best bet. Prices of quartz and granite countertops continually shift because both are sourced overseas. All of these products are container-shipped across oceans, and this is dependent on petroleum prices.
Granite: Slab granite can start around $60 per square foot, but prices exponentially rise from there. See: "What Does Granite Cost For Kitchen Counters?"

Quartz: From $67 to $93 per square foot, installed. Cost of a typical quartz counter installation, comprised of 28 square feet of Zodiaq Abyss Black with 5 square feet of similar-material bevel edged backsplash, and a cut-out made for a double-bowl sink, will be about $2,219 to $3,081.

for my home... I'd pick quartz.

They are great, but I'd choose Quartz as these granite does emit radon, cancer causing agent. It may not affect everyone, but to some people, they might better off with Quartz.

radon? hmmm......

http://homerenovations.about.com/od/kitchencounters/a/QuartzVsGraniteCountertops.htm
3. Radon

Radon is a radioactive gas that has been linked to lung cancer. Radon can be found in granite and quartz. Radon in countertops is a contentious issue. I argue that homeowners have little to fear about radon in counters, as it appears to have been an overwrought media scare that began around 2008.
Granite: The magazine Consumer Reports indicates that a scientist found "almost no radon" coming from the granite.

Quartz: The same publication found "very little" radon in engineered stones.

http://homerenovations.about.com/od/GraniteMarbleStone/a/Radon-In-Granite-Countertops.htm
Government Findings About Radon in Granite

By June 2011, a federal interagency committee, including the EPA, issued a preliminary "Major Findings," saying that "[t]he vast majority of risk calculations for the residential scenarios resulted in no risks exceeding the EPA acceptable...lifetime mortality risk range." The committee goes on to note that non-negligible risks may occur, but only in "a few cases." The most significant risk, if any, may occur with people who work with granite on a daily basis.
In a piece last updated on August 2012, the EPA stresses that "radon originating in the soil beneath homes is a more common problem and a far larger public health risk than radon from granite building materials."

While stressing the severity of one problem doesn't reduce the risk of another problem, the EPA makes a couple of important points:

Granite is far less porous than a material like sandstone, which potentially can emit dangerous levels of radon.

Any radon present in kitchens or bathrooms is "likely to be diluted" since those rooms are typically well-ventilated. I would add that any room in a house is likely to be better ventilated than a home's crawlspace or basement.

Be aware that certain granite colors--reds, pinks and purples--may emit more radon gas than other colors (notably black).

scary! :Ohno:

shower.... I dislike a shower with "enclosure". I prefer open-space. no curtain. no door. just open. spa style. any of you have it?

open-space-bathoom-shower.jpg

embrace-corner-wetroom-panel-shower-enclosure-371.jpg

in the first picture... it doesn't look comfortable to stand on that floor but that concept seems like a pretty cool one.

shower.... I dislike a shower with "enclosure". I prefer open-space. no curtain. no door. just open. spa style. any of you have it?

in the first picture... it doesn't look comfortable to stand on that floor but that concept seems like a pretty cool one.

Please look closely. Both of these you posted have glass doors.

No, the do not have doors. They have a glass wall/shield to keep the water from going into the other part of the bathroom. It's still "open" for his purposes - not feeling closed in.

contact your health department... bet something gets done.

well - I'd say it's because granite/quartz looks very nice and adds a very good value to your house.

anyway.... ever heard of silicone coaster?
71zisdfz6AL._SY355_.jpg

and I think everyone knows you should never put a hot pot/pan on any table - wood, granite, quartz, etc. for safety reason. what do you think what will happen if you put away a hot pot/pan from granite/quartz countertop? that area will still be very hot. and.... it can still damage/discolor the top from repeated uses.

same thing for putting a drink on a coaster.
Ive heard of some ganite tops cracking wen you put a hot pot on a cold countertop... Id never do it and Jiro is correct, retained heat is just as bad. I like those new silicone pads and cook gloves.

Hmm I don't see any glass doors (even with my vision). There is a glass wall. In the first picture the area where the robe is is just a standing area to undress/towel off then step into the shower. Still open ended so it's not totally closed in.

We had a shower that had sit-down seats built in (for grandmother) but I cannot remember if there was a curtain or door with it- I'll have to ask aunt if she remembers. Any pictures I have of that house is buried somewhere in my boxes.

The pics Jiro posted are ones I'd love to have- not a fan of shower curtains at all. I hated dealing with them when I had a clawfoot tub- what a pain- had to use two lol.

yes loveblue is right. it has one side opened. no door. just walk right in and out.

Ive heard of some ganite tops cracking wen you put a hot pot on a cold countertop... Id never do it and Jiro is correct, retained heat is just as bad. I like those new silicone pads and cook gloves.

yep. that's what my parents warned me about. we did have granite top in our previous house (renovated by previous owner - the VP of RCA). and we have quartz top right now in our condo.

Hmm I don't see any glass doors (even with my vision). There is a glass wall. In the first picture the area where the robe is is just a standing area to undress/towel off then step into the shower. Still open ended so it's not totally closed in.

We had a shower that had sit-down seats built in (for grandmother) but I cannot remember if there was a curtain or door with it- I'll have to ask aunt if she remembers. Any pictures I have of that house is buried somewhere in my boxes.

The pics Jiro posted are ones I'd love to have- not a fan of shower curtains at all.
the reason why I don't like "enclosure" is because I like everything efficient and simple... and also for safety reason.

in my previous home, my bathroom shower had glass sliding doors. we just moved into our new house and one day, the wheel got dislodged. as I tried to put it back into place... the whole glass door shattered into bazillion pieces. all I was holding on my hands was a door handle bar. I was shocked and confused. my hand and foot started to bleed and the blood puddle was getting slowly bigger and bigger. the bathroom looked like a murder crime scene with bloody footprint on floor and a tub full of blood. My dad rushed me to ER.

and with a curtain... suffice to say - it's disgusting. the mildew growing on it if not properly dried out but you'll still need to clean it couple times a month.

we all have to do routine chores to keep the house clean. the way I like the future house to be designed... the house should be very easy and quick to clean. that's why I'd like a toilet and sink not to be connected to the ground so that I can clean the floor easily like below -

river-rocks-bathroom-floor-with-wall-mounted-toilet.jpg

masculine-bathroom-design-wall-mounted-toilet.jpg

I hated dealing with them when I had a clawfoot tub- what a pain- had to use two lol.
I never knew it was called a clawfoot tub... learned something new today!

I can never understand why most bathrooms in America do not have a drain hole. it's inconceivable. it's a bathroom for heaven's sake! many bathrooms in Asia and Caribbean do have drain hole and it makes sense. it's easier to clean and it's where water is!

So I'd ask a plumber to install a drain plug when renovating a bathroom.

I can never understand why most bathrooms in America do not have a drain hole. it's inconceivable. it's a bathroom for heaven's sake! many bathrooms in Asia and Caribbean do have drain hole and it makes sense. it's easier to clean and it's where water is!

So I'd ask a plumber to install a drain plug when renovating a bathroom.

Most institutions like dorm have drain holes.

Back