Home Renovation/Construction

Corrections.... every ///// EVERY house has the possibility for CO. Does not mean it has a gas or wood fired heating, cooking.... but people have under house garages, generators, BBQ pits.... the list is endless including portable heaters ( kerosene..ect...) thats why regardless if the house is all electric or not, they are required to have at least 1 CO detector and smoke alarms near every bedroom... My 3 bedroom all electric house I sold had 8 smoke detectors and 2 co detectors and that was to pass occupancy.

every house is susceptible to carbon monoxide. There are strobe alarms out there for this, i even posted this. I have several in my home, plus one non-strobe for the hearing. Jiro can certainly look into this for his future home. What exactly am i mistaken about? :roll: Get off your high horse.

the one i seen here which is nice is to have nest smoke and co alarm along with phillips hue. When the alarm goes off, the hue lights will turn red and flashes few times then it stay on solid but not sure about color, read it somewhere that it changed the color to allow to have lights pass through smoke so everyone can see to get out. So you can set up lights everywhere the only drawback is that all lights are controlled by phones. You can't just simply walk to the lamp and turn it on. You have to use phones to control the lights. Solution to this is to have few extra lamps to use only for fire and co alarm only. One nice thing about nest smoke and co alarm, it will let you know if you have power outage at home also also it will let you know if there's fire at home. If you know someone that is still home, you can call fire dept to let them know there's someone at home. Also, it has night light sensor. At night, if you need to go to the kitchen to get water, the nest will dimly illuminate on, bright enough to see where you are going. You can change the brightness level.
cost wise is little expensive but no comparision of human life.

Diehardbiker seems to be bringing it up without coming right out and saying it; but COST is a real factor for many.

In looking up what appears to be what alleycat posted Harris's price is $170. http://www.harriscomm.com/brk-elect...ed-t3-smoke-carbon-monoxide-alarm-strobe.html I did not check for what shipping would be and if, like me, you are in Illinois there would also be sales tax (I don't know if it would be at the rate charged where Harris is or the county/city where it is being shipped to). Then as diehardbiker brought up most of us are not electricians and would have that expensive additional cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diehardbiker seems to be bringing it up without coming right out and saying it; but COST is a real factor for many.

In looking up what appears to be what alleycat posted Harris's price is $170. http://www.harriscomm.com/brk-elect...ed-t3-smoke-carbon-monoxide-alarm-strobe.html I did not check for what shipping would be and if, like me, you are in Illinois there would also be sales tax (I don't know if it would be at the rate charged where Harris is or the county/city where it is being shipped to). Then as diehardbiker brought up most of us are not electricians and would have that expensive additional cost.

Sure. Mine cost money to have them installed. I paid over $200 each to purchase and have them installed.

It's no different than anyone willing to spend money for a cell phone, television, and so on. (Can you name a single deaf person who doesn't have a TV or a phone/cell phone?) If you are willing to spend money on these items, and then put up a fight over finances regarding security for your home against carbon monoxide, that's your (general you) decision. I paid the money for peace of mind knowing my house will alert me to critical issues. Anyone who chooses not to, it's on them.

Sure. Mine cost money to have them installed. I paid over $200 each to purchase and have them installed.

It's no different than anyone willing to spend money for a cell phone, television, and so on. (Can you name a single deaf person who doesn't have a TV or a phone/cell phone?) If you are willing to spend money on these items, and then put up a fight over finances regarding security for your home against carbon monoxide, that's your (general you) decision. I paid the money for peace of mind knowing my house will alert me to critical issues. Anyone who chooses not to, it's on them.

WhatI do know is that you can get a TV and/or a cell phone for under $100. I have even seen a number of ads for new cell phones in the $20 range. The equipment and installation that you are suggesting is several hundred dollars and you have to have it or pay even more by making payments over time.

WhatI do know is that you can get a TV and/or a cell phone for under $100. I have even seen a number of ads for new cell phones in the $20 range. The equipment and installation that you are suggesting is several hundred dollars and you have to have it or pay even more by making payments over time.

Okay. Your point being?

(It better not be that you think it's unaffordable. Those who are renting/buying a home will likely have money set aside for this. And if money isn't set aside, it should be, rather than for a TV or cell phone. That was MY point to your post.) I know many who save up for *months* to buy a car, a TV, new appliances, and so on. What's different about saving up for a carbon monoxide detector? N.O.T.H.I.N.G.

Done with this. You're looking to pick a fight over dollars when this thread was about home construction. Is your generation so outdated that you can't fathom that people save up for these things?

Yup, that is why I used word "Limited".

Too many ignorants out there, sad!

Corrections.... every ///// EVERY house has the possibility for CO. Does not mean it has a gas or wood fired heating, cooking.... but people have under house garages, generators, BBQ pits.... the list is endless including portable heaters ( kerosene..ect...) thats why regardless if the house is all electric or not, they are required to have at least 1 CO detector and smoke alarms near every bedroom... My 3 bedroom all electric house I sold had 8 smoke detectors and 2 co detectors and that was to pass occupancy.

Yup!

Okay. Your point being?

(It better not be that you think it's unaffordable. Those who are renting/buying a home will likely have money set aside for this. And if money isn't set aside, it should be, rather than for a TV or cell phone. That was MY point to your post.) I know many who save up for *months* to buy a car, a TV, new appliances, and so on. What's different about saving up for a carbon monoxide detector? N.O.T.H.I.N.G.

Done with this. You're looking to pick a fight over dollars when this thread was about home construction. Is your generation so outdated that you can't fathom that people save up for these things?

In memorial of LuciaDistrubed, one of our forum member who passed away couple years ago, and it was carbon monoxide poisoning as cause of death. Her apartment manager won't provide carbon monoxide detector/alarm because it cost them (Owner of apartment) too much.

Hey, enough with fighting and I'm not taking side.

Do you like granite counter-tops for kitchen cabinets? They are getting more popular now.

In memorial of LuciaDistrubed, one of our forum member who passed away couple years ago, and it was carbon monoxide poisoning as cause of death. Her apartment manager won't provide carbon monoxide detector/alarm because it cost them (Owner of apartment) too much.

I used to had carbon monoxide detector when I was younger, but not anymore.

I don't burning woods or fossil fuel in house, no gas stove nor dryer but it is possible from car's exhaust system when garage door closed.

Do you like granite counter-tops for kitchen cabinets? They are getting more popular now.

They are great, but I'd choose Quartz as these granite does emit radon, cancer causing agent. It may not affect everyone, but to some people, they might better off with Quartz.

They are great, but I'd choose Quartz as these granite does emit radon, cancer causing agent. It may not affect everyone, but to some people, they might better off with Quartz.

That's interesting, we have laminate counter-tops but I noticed many of them replaced laminate with granite or Quartz. I prefer real wood counter-top but it may be not durable as like others.

Which is more expensive - granite or Quartz?

. . .

Granite has been popular for a while. Quartz countertops are also popular. We have quartz (Silestone). I really like it. It holds up well and looks good. We have it in the kitchen and two of our bathrooms.

. . .
It depends because there are various grades of granite. It also depends on if you can get remnant pieces. The labor for cutting, delivery and installation can vary, too.

That's interesting, we have laminate counter-tops but I noticed many of them replaced laminate with granite or Quartz. I prefer real wood counter-top but it may be not durable as like others.

quartz, its even heavier! I tried to lift one and couldn't!

Real woodtop counter is nice but it won't withstand hot bottom pots and pans. Quartz and granite can handle and take the heat from hot bottoms, this is precisely why its popular.

In our pop-up camper, we have a ceiling mounted battery smoke/CO detector. On the lower part of the wall, we have a hard-wired LPG, methane and butane gas detector/alarm. The hard-wired alarm runs AC or DC with a power converter that can use either electricity from the campsite hook-up, or the camper's deep-cycle marine battery.

I don't know but could the strobe alarm be connected to electricity the same way, using a convertor and battery when camping off the grid?

The other benefit of either granite or quartz, compared to laminate, is that you can under-mount your sink. I much prefer under-mounted sinks.

Some people use butcher block wood on the dry areas of their countertops or for their island but put granite or quartz on the other areas, especially around the sink. That's popular.

In our pop-up camper, we have a ceiling mounted battery smoke/CO detector. On the lower part of the wall, we have a hard-wired LPG, methane and butane gas detector/alarm. The hard-wired alarm runs AC or DC with a power converter that can use either electricity from the campsite hook-up, or the camper's deep-cycle marine battery.

I don't know but could the strobe alarm be connected to electricity the same way, using a convertor and battery when camping off the grid?

The only brand family I know that needs relay module connecting to their alarm to trigger different circuit like strobe light for instance is Kidde family brand. Gentex makes strobe built in smoke alarm, but they don't make CO alarm with strobe built in.
I need more time to research and figure out how to add light on CO alarm for my RV. At least I got hearing kids, and don't want to depend on them 2 long, and they sleep on other side of RV from where we sleep. Oh well.

the one with red light? that's not for heating. that's to dry yourself out after shower. I had one in my previous home. I rarely used it. I thought it would contribute to skin cancer :lol:

they're both actually - to heat up the room and to dry up.
true, they are not recommended for prolonged use like radiators, but they do heat up a room, too,
so you can step out of your shower into warmer air.

Fuzzy

I like how they look, but I don't like how hard and cold they are. and how easily everything shatters on the if dropped.
So personally I opted for laminate countertop made to look like a granite one.

However in future, I'd like to try maybe quartz, soapstone, - something softer.

If I resign myself to the hard surface I'd love to try lighted onyx counter top
in soft, neutral color
a8d7fae69d0ec0dab20130aefd1d3109.jpg

Fuzzy

Back