HIV-positive man sentenced 35 years for spitting at officer

CCfan

Reaction score
HIV-positive man sentenced 35 years for spitting at officer - Yahoo! News

-----------

DALLAS - An HIV-positive man convicted of spitting into the eye and mouth of a Dallas police officer has been sentenced to 35 years in prison.

Because a jury found that Willie Campbell used his saliva as a deadly weapon, the 42-year-old will have to serve half his sentence before becoming eligible for parole. He was sentenced Wednesday.

Campbell was being arrested in May 2006 for public intoxication when he began resisting and kicking inside the patrol car, Dallas police office Dan Waller testified.

Campbell was convicted of harassment of a public servant.
-----------
Wow, it's too harsh on the sentence. That's crazy for spitting on the
officer. Poor officer probably get a HIV from man who have HIV-positive.
:eek3:

wrong

the officer would have to swallow about a gallon of his spit to get HIV

Unless... the officer had an open would.

The risks will always be there.

The concentration of HIV in saliva is very, very small. Blood contact would pose some degree of risk with an open wound, but saliva is not nearly the risk that blood and semen are.

35 years for spitting at officer ?!?! Yikes! That's CRAZY, man !

I don't think it is right. I know it is wrong of him to spit, but gee... to sentence him 35 years JUST for spitting ... ohhh, pleeease! :roll: Oh, yeah I know that he has HIV, but spitting don't get the officer 100% full blown HIV.

We have to expect some kinds of plague or virus or disease coming in the near future anyway ... and some people will die from it. Who will get sentence for spreading that plagues or viruses or diseases, huh ?

Unbelievable!

Unless the man spitting happened to have a cut in his mouth, and land his spit in the officer's mouth, which was also helpfully bleeding, and the minute levels of HIV managed to survive the harsh environment that a mouth is to the virus... yeah, you see how improbable this is?

If I throw a shirt at someone, in theory, they might die. Some strange twist of the universe could cause the tee-shirt to impair their vision and make them fall down stairs. They may suddenly lose the will to live and die because of their oxygen being cut off. It COULD happen.

Is a tee shirt a deadly weapon? I think not.

I have positive cultures for quite a few things, the most dangerous being b. cepacia. In theory, if someone immune-suppressed walked within 6 feet of me, they (unlike the general healthy public) would be at risk of becoming infected. It has a fairly high mortality rate.

Should I stop breathing? Better yet, why don't I give the person who gave ME the infection a nice long jail sentence? THEY should have known better than to breathe, because there's always a risk of walking by someone vulnerable.

This is a prime example of the disturbing lack of understanding HIV that we face today.

Unless the man spitting happened to have a cut in his mouth, and land his spit in the officer's mouth, which was also helpfully bleeding, and the minute levels of HIV managed to survive the harsh environment that a mouth is to the virus... yeah, you see how improbable this is?

If I throw a shirt at someone, in theory, they might die. Some strange twist of the universe could cause the tee-shirt to impair their vision and make them fall down stairs. They may suddenly lose the will to live and die because of their oxygen being cut off. It COULD happen.

This is a prime example of the disturbing lack of understanding HIV that we face today.

Be careful throwing that shirt. A wind could be blowing and cause the shirt to wrap around someone's head, and then they could get their hands tangled in the fabric trying to remove it and smother to death.

And I agree. The only thing instances like this do is promote the degree of ignorance that leads to unfounded fear.

Intent follows the bullet?
Whether it was intended or not, it's still bad.

Like you said, the bullet... the concept is the same.

I shoot someone. Whether it was intended or not, I still shot someone.

If I did it intentionally, the punishment would be more severe. If I did it accidentally, the punishment would be less severe.

I have positive cultures for quite a few things, the most dangerous being b. cepacia. In theory, if someone immune-suppressed walked within 6 feet of me, they (unlike the general healthy public) would be at risk of becoming infected. It has a fairly high mortality rate.

Should I stop breathing? Better yet, why don't I give the person who gave ME the infection a nice long jail sentence? THEY should have known better than to breathe, because there's always a risk of walking by someone vulnerable.

Exactly...

There are risks to everything.

How would you like it if someone with HIV spit in your face giving you the risk of getting HIV too?

I would just slap his face and wash it off immedately, that's it. I doubt I would walk to the phone and calling polices coming to us over his little spit.

I would just slap his face and wash it off immedately, that's it. I doubt I would walk to the phone and calling polices coming to us over his little spit.
But... you didn't know that person had HIV. So, you don't immediately wash it off.

A few months later, your doctor tells you that you now have HIV. You're considered a medical risk every time you show up at the hospital. People are more cautious around you. How would your life be like then?

It all happened because some guy with HIV decided to spit on you for no good reason.

But... you didn't know that person had HIV. So, you don't immediately wash it off.

A few months later, your doctor tells you that you now have HIV. You're considered a medical risk every time you show up at the hospital. People are more cautious around you. How would your life be like then?

It all happened because some guy with HIV decided to spit on you for no good reason.

Well I don't discriminate against people who have disease.

And for your question, well if I got HIV by a person poisoned me by his/her spit in purpose then of course I would sue them, but what if I don't get the HIV?

OR the person with HIV doesn't know that they have HIV to begin with?

Actually, I know this is controversial but, I do think that SOME HIV+ folks need to be put in a hospital. Some HIV poz folks are very irresponsible with their sexual and other behavoir. If they got put in a residental hospital setting, then they wouldn't be out there spreading HIV!

Back