Hi - new here

deafmama78

Reaction score
Hi. I've came to alldeaf.com before under a different username, which I think is gone now. Heh. Anyways...
I'm here 'cause I'm about to be evaluated to see if I'm a candidate for Cochlear Implant on the 16th, I'm kinda nervous but also excited to start the process especially if I'm a candiate! Wish me luck!

Thx,
-DeafMama78

Hi deafmama78! You have come to the right place to ask about CIs! Others will come by soon enough and start answering your questions. (I am deaf and my grandson is getting his 2nd CI next Monday.)

Hi Welcome to Alldeaf, Deafmama78! I wish you luck with your possible candidacy.

HI, welcome...

You'll find plenty of info here.... but I guess you allready know that, having been here before....

Good luck

Welcome and best wishes with the process! Would you like me to put your on our calender thread?

:welcome: to AD! :) Good luck with your surgery!

Hi Deafmama78.. Welcome to AD.. Hope you will enjoy the stay with us and happy posting away! :)

Good Luck and Welcome!
I've myself have been there lol. The excitement of being a possible canidate and then getting the ball rolling! I love my CI and I have no regrets with having been implanted.
Implanted May 24th 2006
Activated July 3rd 2006

Good Luck and Welcome!
I've myself have been there lol. The excitement of being a possible canidate and then getting the ball rolling! I love my CI and I have no regrets with having been implanted.
Implanted May 24th 2006
Activated July 3rd 2006

Hi there! Haven't seen you for a while... Glad to see you back!

Please read this - it's about me & why I'm starting the process...

Hi all. :]

Only one more week til I go in for my CI evaluation! I can't wait! I am sooo nervous & sooo anxious!!! I have spent a few hours on my laptop researching and learning everything I can about CI & all that way I can show up to my appt already understanding and knowing things without having to feel lost wondering 'wtf are they talking about?' ya know? Ack. I hate the waiting part! All I want right now is to hear "Yes, you're a candiate!" and then I'll be impatient for the surgery date & activation date! The waiting game is soooooo hard!!!!

I realize since most of you don't know me, let me tell you a lil about myself & how I became Deaf. I'm 28, a mother of two hearing children. I've been Deaf since birth due to my Mother contracting Rubella while pregnant with me, sucks eh? :/ Anyways, as soon as they realized that I was deaf, I was fitted for hearing aids ASAP as I could handle it when I was a lil older due to it being the old fashioned body HA. I had Early Intervention & a teacher came out to work with me so that I'd not be behind when entering Preschool. I went to 2 different Preschool & then entered Kindergarten in a neighboring city from home that had a awesome Total Communication Program. I basiclly grew up there til I graduated with some yrs of from attenging 2 different schools for awhile, one being the state school for the Deaf as I wanted to be around Deaf culture and learn more ASL. I graduated & went on to college. I met a hearing man and married him & have two children right now, hoping for more soon.

The reason I'm considering CI is because I've not been able to wear 1 of my HA for the last 6 yrs - long story. As for my other ear, I was getting by just fine with my HA hearing environmental sounds & everything else, I mean I hear so well that I had no problem learning how to talk well [thanks to years of speech classes while growing up at the TC program]. But, unfortutely, one day last summer, all of that changed. I started having awful Tinnitus, which is nothing new since I've experienced them before but not as intense as this. And I'd notice at the onset of Tinnitus, I'd lose my residul hearing temporarily and it'll last for days on end at times. It drove me nuts. It also got to the point where I'd get my hearing back when I'm at home but once I'm out the door, it's temporarily gone again. I've gone to the ENT to express my feelings on all this and ask for help on what to do & how to get my other ear get used to wearing HA again since I've tried on and off for the last 6 yrs but it is just terribile. I'd put them on and immeditely Tinnitus would start so bad & I couldn't even balance myself when I'd try to walk, I'd always lean over to the right, which is strange cause I do not have a walking or balance problem! It was like I was walking drunk or something. Heh. It sucks!!! The ENT was someone I didn't know and he just didn't really listen. All he said was "Ahh, I don't know what's going on or what's causing all this, how about I send you to >name of place< so you can start the process to see if you're a candiate for CI" umm. I haven't even said anything about CI so I was really shocked when he brought CI's up. I told him "Um, wait a minute, my parents were told while I was growing up that it'd most likely be useful for me..." and he blabbed on and on about how CI's has changed alot in the last 20+ yrs. So, I went home telling my Husband all this & being the sweet husband he is, he wants me to get it checked out. So that's where I am at now!

Sorry for all my typos. I am kinda in a hurry as I am waiting for Grey's Anatomy to start due to our PVR being messed up yesterday and only taping the last 10 minutes! :P

If you read this whole thing, here's a cookie for you. :]
-DeafMama78

One more thing!

Hahahaha. I looked thru the Members list and I now remember my login that I used in '04! Gosh! I'm not ready to reveal who I am. But heh, I knew I recognized some of you, espeically some from the General board & the Parenting board. :] If I figure out my password for the other username, I think I will go back to using that one, after I'm ready to reveal who I am. :P

If you managed to guess.. then you're one smart cookie! :P

-DeafMama78

deafmama78 would that be "meniere's disease" If he doesn't know what it is.. go for another ENT. You need to find someone that's more knowledgeable than this one eh so google for that "meniere's disease" check the first few links in google results, they tends to have good description of it.

when you say
I told him "Um, wait a minute, my parents were told while I was growing up that it'd most likely be useful for me..."

do you mean "most likely not be useful for me...." ?

deafmama78 would that be "meniere's disease" If he doesn't know what it is.. go for another ENT. You need to find someone that's more knowledgeable than this one eh so google for that "meniere's disease" check the first few links in google results, they tends to have good description of it.

Nope, I don't have Meniere's Disease. I've never even heard of it until recently & have already looked it up.
I'm Deaf due to my Mom contracting Rubella while she was in her 1st/2nd trimester pregnant with me. :/

And yes, I will be seeing another ENT. I'm going to see bunch of different people for opinions and stuff anyways so I'm not just gonna go by with that one moronic ENT said and go by that, nope, I'm smarter than that! [grins]

when you say

do you mean "most likely not be useful for me...." ?

Oops, yep, I goofed. I meant to say ..'most likely NOT be useful for me' thanks for catching my mistake, as it's funny, I was thinking NOT as I was typing that sentence but must of forgotten to actually type [not] without realizing it! :]

Back