Hi, Im new.

Good to see you Sarah...I am new here too...I have two aids, been HOH since birth and I know how really frustrating it is...we all do...you just have to adapt and stay positive and be thankful for what hearing you have...I wonder what it would have been like to not hear music since I am very much into any kind of music...anyways, there's a ton of us out there just like you...if that helps any.

Hey :wave:

Hey Sarah, welcome! :wave: I'm hard of hearing with hearing aids as well so I understand your frustration of not being able to hear things coherently. Also some of the sounds I can hear coming from strange places in my house, but I don't know what the sounds are and it gets quite annoying. The unknown scares me sometimes. Some hearing people assume that hearing aids help us hear just like them. It's just not the same. Hearing aids are just meant to "improve" your hearing, they'll just never understand. :roll:

Hey,

Yes, Im not going to lie...I had REALLY high expectations for my HAs.
I was one of those who thought that they give you everything you lost back, but I was wrong.
Im studying ASL which I am finding a HUGE help. Just difficult to find other people to sign with. I dont know any other HOH/Deaf people besides my professor and the people on this website.

Do you know any ASL?

Hey,

Yes, Im not going to lie...I had REALLY high expectations for my HAs.
I was one of those who thought that they give you everything you lost back, but I was wrong.
Im studying ASL which I am finding a HUGE help. Just difficult to find other people to sign with. I dont know any other HOH/Deaf people besides my professor and the people on this website.

Do you know any ASL?

Yeah, I get what you mean. My hearing loss is severe, I started wearing HAs when I was about 3. I'm very grateful for it even though it has some faults. Don't worry, you'll get used to it. I was born that way and you've only started recently this year and I know it can be scary for you to lose some of your hearing, but it'll be okay.

And yes, of course I know ASL! :lol:

Hey,
I am 24 and I have almost completed my honours B.A. in Sociology and I am taking ASL LeveL 1 right now at my University. I am finding using sign language makes communication SO much easier, but its hard to find people who sign or willing to learn.
I am working towards a career in Education. More specifically I would like to work with students with disabilities at the University level (Disability Councillor).

Interests/Things I like to do:
- Hang out with friends
- Learn/Use Sign language ASL
-Computers (Building Computers / Video editing/ watching Youtube/ etc..)
- Go Karts/ bumper cars
- Attending Social gatherings (Family BBQs / Going to Basketball games / etc)
- I LOVE Music

And Im not going to lie....I like to play a little PS3 from-time-to-time.

What about you?

I loved sociology..... I dabbled with it but ended up studying psychology and art in undergrad. I started ASL too in undergrad and found I became very good friends with my classmates because ASL wasn't a fascination or the definition of who I was, just a common language :)

Who's your favorite band? Mine is currently Alt J :) Have you had a favorite random elective at college that you've enjoyed? I loved anthropology, but wouldn't consider it to be a long term job because I'm SO not a desk job kind of person lol

I like (attempting) to cook haha and running, rock climbing, social gatherings too, and I love my daily dog walks haha - anyways.... nice to "meet" you and welcome to AD :)

Yeah, I get what you mean. My hearing loss is severe, I started wearing HAs when I was about 3. I'm very grateful for it even though it has some faults. Don't worry, you'll get used to it. I was born that way and you've only started recently this year and I know it can be scary for you to lose some of your hearing, but it'll be okay.

And yes, of course I know ASL! :lol:

I have a question...
Since you know ASL.
I am taking ASL L1 and I go online to research to learn new signs not taught in class.
Now, I don't have anyone to practice with as I don't know any deaf/HOH people other than well the people on this site and my professor teaching me ASL. Also, none of my family or friends are willing to learn sign language for me. They expect me to read their lips and get a cochlear implant when i lose enough to get one (I don't want one so we don't see eye-to-eye on that...).

Anyways, the reason why I joined the site was to meet and converse with HOH/Deaf people and become apart of the Deaf community.

I was wondering since you know ASL, would you help me practice with Skype? You dont have to teach me like give me lessons or anything. Just normal casual conversation but all in ASL. The more exposure to a language the more you learn it. Would you mind?

, Sarah

I loved sociology..... I dabbled with it but ended up studying psychology and art in undergrad. I started ASL too in undergrad and found I became very good friends with my classmates because ASL wasn't a fascination or the definition of who I was, just a common language :)

Who's your favorite band? Mine is currently Alt J :) Have you had a favorite random elective at college that you've enjoyed? I loved anthropology, but wouldn't consider it to be a long term job because I'm SO not a desk job kind of person lol

I like (attempting) to cook haha and running, rock climbing, social gatherings too, and I love my daily dog walks haha - anyways.... nice to "meet" you and welcome to AD :)

Its funny because I love psychology but for a few reasons I had chosen to major in Sociology instead but if I had to do it over I might have chosen psychology or at least minored in it.

Favourite band....hmmmm......thats ticky. I LOVEEEE Music so thats really hard lol. umm....I like everything except for religious music and country. Im not sure I have a favourite. When it comes to music I find that I cant find an artist that I like all of their stuff- its always a couple-to-a few songs and thats it. However, I do really like the band; The White Stripes. Some other Music Artists I like are Metric, some of David Guetta, Gotye, Katy Perry, Lily Allen, and Skrillex. I've never heard of Alt J before...I will check them out on Youtube tho.

Favoriate elective?? American Sign Language is my favourite right now, but thats only because its the only class where I don't have to read lips and im enjoying learning it. As for subject interest...I have taken Anthro classes as well, but I agree with you, its not something I would work in...I really like doing classes involving disability studies. I plan on going for a Masters in Education as I am working towards a career as a Disability councillor at the University level.

Its funny that you brought up cooking and said "attempting" LOL. Im assuming cooking isnt your specialty? I actually suck at cooking LOL. It doesnt matter how much I try Im not good at it. I can only make simple things like KD, french toast, and pasta (with only noodles and sauce, no meat or anything in it). However, I am not a bad baker. I am told I make very good cookies and pies and various other desserts. I used to like rock-climbing as well but i havent done that in a long time. I used to take tae kwon do and would compete in tournaments often. I do LOVE go karts and bumper cars though LOL

It was nice meeting you too. I am told it is not as common for someone to suddenly lose their hearing in adulthood, not sure its true but its nice knowing that im not the only person in her 20s that is losing it late.

Thanks for the post, I really am happy to find someone in a similar situation. Makes you feel like you're not alone, you know?

, Sarah

Welcome to the site!
Ooh, another fellow Canadian!
I'm taking Psychology and Sociology but I'm not so sure what I want to do exactly. I know I want to help people who have a disability (too) or be a counselor of some sort.

Welcome to the site!
Ooh, another fellow Canadian!
I'm taking Psychology and Sociology but I'm not so sure what I want to do exactly. I know I want to help people who have a disability (too) or be a counselor of some sort.

Hey! Thanks for the post. I'm happy to see that there are other Canadians out there on this site; Awesome! :D

I checked out your profile and your hearing loss is similar to mine.
I have a question. Do you know or are you planning on learning ASL???
I am finding sign-language makes life easier. I am really starting to develop a love/appreciation for it.

What year are you in (university) ??

Hey! Thanks for the post. I'm happy to see that there are other Canadians out there on this site; Awesome! :D

I checked out your profile and your hearing loss is similar to mine.
I have a question. Do you know or are you planning on learning ASL???
I am finding sign-language makes life easier. I am really starting to develop a love/appreciation for it.

What year are you in (university) ??

Yay Canadians!
I'm beginner ASL, I wish I knew this as a kid ... it's easier to communicate that way.
I'm in year 1 of Uni as I took a year off from HS. January is when I'll be taking Psychology :)

Yay Canadians!
I'm beginner ASL, I wish I knew this as a kid ... it's easier to communicate that way.
I'm in year 1 of Uni as I took a year off from HS. January is when I'll be taking Psychology :)

I am taking ASL at my University. I do find it much easier to communicate. Even if you mix the two; a little sign language with a little Speech (English) However I find there isn't many deaf/HOH people or hearing people that sign. I was wondering…do you have Skype or FaceTime? Maybe you want to practice?? We can just talk about random stuff like we are now but over video call we can use ASL. If you want?? Maybe we can help each-other develop our signing skills that way :cool2:

Want to???

I am taking ASL at my University. I do find it much easier to communicate. Even if you mix the two; a little sign language with a little Speech (English) However I find there isn't many deaf/HOH people or hearing people that sign. I was wondering…do you have Skype or FaceTime? Maybe you want to practice?? We can just talk about random stuff like we are now but over video call we can use ASL. If you want?? Maybe we can help each-other develop our signing skills that way :cool2:

Want to???

I know what you mean. In my city there is like no one who is d/D/HH... I sure do. I'll message you :)

Want to???

If you want I can help you out as well, I am taking ASL and starting to work my way to get my interpreting degree.

If you want I can help you out as well, I am taking ASL and starting to work my way to get my interpreting degree.

Hey, yes, I would love the help. Thank-you! I will send you my Skype name.

, Sarah

Hey, thanks for the post!
Yea, there are times where I still cant make what people have said out... Are the HAs supposed to make you hear what people are saying clearly in a busy place? I find that when there is a lot of background noise I cant hear my friends and have to go back to reading lips. This is where I just turn my HA off. Is it supposed to be like that or am I supposed to hear my friends clearly?

Some hearing aids can do a decent job of blocking out background noise. These tend to be the more expensive digital ones, but you also have to work with the environment. If you have hearing aids with a 'background noise' or 'forward focus' setting, try to get the person you want to speak with in a corner (literally) and directly in front of you with all/most of the noise behind you when you use that program. If it is not strong enough, you may want the program adjusted to increase the noise suppression.

I have had experiences where I need to go back to an audiologist 6 or 7 times to get the programming the way I wanted it. I know that's not convenient, but there are so many variables, you don't want to change too much at any given visit. This is especially true in a clinical setting where you are hard-pressed to simulate a real-world listening environment. If you are lucky enough to have an audiologist with a surround sound system in the office through which s/he can play a recording of a loud party, that can help with the adjustment.

This type of noise suppression isn't magic though. In a busy place, you are going to always have a hard time! People with average hearing do, too. If your hearing aids are very capable at background noise suppression, you will have increasing difficulty hearing people to the sides or behind you when using that feature in a busy/loud environment.

Back