Hi, Im new.

Sarahh

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a University Student from Canada. I am new to this website and am trying to connect with the H.O.H/deaf community and I'm not sure where to go and how to find people around my age.

My situation:
I am recently H.O.H. I have a family history of Deafness on my fathers side however, they are not involved in the deaf community at all. It runs in my family that we are all born hearing and we suddenly begin to lose it in our adulthood until one day its gone. Everyone on that side learns to read lips and get by that way. I have started this year and have lost my ability to understand conversational speech, I cant hear in noisy places, and I cant hear some sounds anymore. So, I to have been getting by on trying to read lips, watching body language/looking at where people are looking and I am finding that tiring and challenging especially in lectures at School. I have just got a pair of hearing aids and they help, but its not the same...

, Sarah

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us.

Yep, with hearing aids, it's not the same. Exactly. People think that once deaf/hard of hearing people are fitted with hearing aids, they are hearing or hear just like everyone else.

Yep, with hearing aids, it's not the same. Exactly. People think that once deaf/hard of hearing people are fitted with hearing aids, they are hearing or hear just like everyone else.

I can hear better with my HA but I have trouble understanding some words and most hearing people do not understand what I talking about. They'll yell the word at me and that does not help at all , it only hurt my ear.

I can hear better with my HA but I have trouble understanding some words and most hearing people do not understand what I talking about. They'll yell the word at me and that does not help at all , it only hurt my ear.

Hey, thanks for the post!
Yea, there are times where I still cant make what people have said out... Are the HAs supposed to make you hear what people are saying clearly in a busy place? I find that when there is a lot of background noise I cant hear my friends and have to go back to reading lips. This is where I just turn my HA off. Is it supposed to be like that or am I supposed to hear my friends clearly?

That was my misconception as well. I thought that when I got my HAs that it would give what I lost back. Thanks for the post. Now, I know there is some limitations to HAs and its not just me.

Hi Sarahh, welcome:) do you have an FM system and a note taker for school? I have a friend in London, just started at the university. He was really struggling and almost quit school. I finally talked him in to seeing his mentor at school and they helped him a great deal. He had no idea he could have a note taker. There are a lot of people on this site that know a great deal more then I about school and being HOH. Good luck!!!

Hey, thanks for the post!
Yea, there are times where I still cant make what people have said out... Are the HAs supposed to make you hear what people are saying clearly in a busy place? I find that when there is a lot of background noise I cant hear my friends and have to go back to reading lips. This is where I just turn my HA off. Is it supposed to be like that or am I supposed to hear my friends clearly?

No HA do not help get rid of background noise. I wish they did, I can't be in a room with a lot of people talking at once. It sound like being in a monkey farm. My condo had meeting last and it was in a basement , and that is hard place for me to hear as it echo. Like someone said it will take time to getting use to all the new sounds. I got my first HA when I was almost 8 yo
and I could not believe how loud a paper bag was or the sound of rain falling on an umbrella .

Hi Sarahh, welcome:) do you have an FM system and a note taker for school? I have a friend in London, just started at the university. He was really struggling and almost quit school. I finally talked him in to seeing his mentor at school and they helped him a great deal. He had no idea he could have a note taker. There are a lot of people on this site that know a great deal more then I about school and being HOH. Good luck!!!

Thanks for the welcome. I do not have an FM system, but I am looking into one. I do have a notetaker. I am taking ASL L1 at school now because I find reading lips challenging and tiring. In Canada there isnt many people who are deaf or H.O.H or at least Im having a difficult time to find people who know sign to practice with. Do you know if there is some kind of place where people Skype and practice?? Do you know of any deaf communities in Canada??

Hey Sarah, welcome! :wave: I'm hard of hearing with hearing aids as well so I understand your frustration of not being able to hear things coherently. Also some of the sounds I can hear coming from strange places in my house, but I don't know what the sounds are and it gets quite annoying. The unknown scares me sometimes. Some hearing people assume that hearing aids help us hear just like them. It's just not the same. Hearing aids are just meant to "improve" your hearing, they'll just never understand. :roll:

Good to see you Sarah...I am new here too...I have two aids, been HOH since birth and I know how really frustrating it is...we all do...you just have to adapt and stay positive and be thankful for what hearing you have...I wonder what it would have been like to not hear music since I am very much into any kind of music...anyways, there's a ton of us out there just like you...if that helps any.

Welcome, Sarahh! I'm from Upstate NY, I use HA and I'm Late deafened... I lost my hearing around age 19 and I'm 26 this month. What are you studying? What do you enjoy?

Welcome, Sarahh! I'm from Upstate NY, I use HA and I'm Late deafened... I lost my hearing around age 19 and I'm 26 this month. What are you studying? What do you enjoy?

Hey,
I am 24 and I have almost completed my honours B.A. in Sociology and I am taking ASL LeveL 1 right now at my University. I am finding using sign language makes communication SO much easier, but its hard to find people who sign or willing to learn.
I am working towards a career in Education. More specifically I would like to work with students with disabilities at the University level (Disability Councillor).

Interests/Things I like to do:
- Hang out with friends
- Learn/Use Sign language ASL
-Computers (Building Computers / Video editing/ watching Youtube/ etc..)
- Go Karts/ bumper cars
- Attending Social gatherings (Family BBQs / Going to Basketball games / etc)
- I LOVE Music

And Im not going to lie....I like to play a little PS3 from-time-to-time.

What about you?

Back