Hi, I'm Amanda

If anyone ever wanted to talk you can message me, we can exchange screenames/emails etc.. there are many options!!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Lots of good response from newcomers on here. Well, you just have to get through trying to adjust or adapt into the deaf world and for you being a late deafened person you will have some rocky roads to try to overcome the bumps just like Angle1989. I know you are not use to being deaf as appose to being hearing all of your life.

I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

My story is as follows, on February 7th of this year I woke up feeling as if I could hear the ocean in my right ear. I went through my daily motions dealing with it, and it wasn't until the late afternoon while I was in class that I noticed I could not hear anything at all in my right ear. I didn't think anything of it until the 11th when I saw an ENT. Hearing tests were done and I was diagnosed with Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss (SSHL). I was started on prednisone, but unfortunately it did nothing. A lot of blood work was done and I had an MRI and fortunately, there is no medical problem with me. The cause of my hearing loss is idiopathic and unexplainable. I was devastated as I was 21, completely healthy, and I never had any problems with my ear prior to this. Months that followed I had difficulty working (retail, which required me to speak to customers in noisy environments), and enjoying myself going out because I found it hard to keep up in conversations involving more than one person, even harder if there was any background noise. Eventually, I sucked it up. I did not let it affect me for a long period of time, I continued with my classes in college. It was definitely hard for me to adjust, it was difficult to localize sounds, and I found it embarrassing at first making people repeat themselves because I truthfully couldn't understand a word they said.

9 months later however, people I meet can't even tell unless I mention it. On Friday I got a CROS HA. It is doing wonders for me. People to the right of me can speak at a normal, even low voice, and I can understand them with barely any difficulty. This is a rare condition, especially for people of my age. I have done research to the best that my resources allow, and it is typically unexplainable. I'm glad and extremely blessed that there are no underlying medical issues, and that my hearing on my left side is 100%. I just wanted to share my story. Thank you to anyone who has read.
Hello there it's very interested to know your story and i am deaf too well i was born deaf with both hearing so i have a hearing aids and here i am coming all the way this way! but in 3 month time am going to have a operation on my right hearing because it's really bad!! i really hope i could hear from you soon take care :)))

Wirelessly posted

Ohh wow it seems like you've been through alot but i'm glad things are getting better for you! I'm Jeremy btw nice to meet you :)

Back