Hi, I'm Amanda

mandaalina

Reaction score
My story is as follows, on February 7th of this year I woke up feeling as if I could hear the ocean in my right ear. I went through my daily motions dealing with it, and it wasn't until the late afternoon while I was in class that I noticed I could not hear anything at all in my right ear. I didn't think anything of it until the 11th when I saw an ENT. Hearing tests were done and I was diagnosed with Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss (SSHL). I was started on prednisone, but unfortunately it did nothing. A lot of blood work was done and I had an MRI and fortunately, there is no medical problem with me. The cause of my hearing loss is idiopathic and unexplainable. I was devastated as I was 21, completely healthy, and I never had any problems with my ear prior to this. Months that followed I had difficulty working (retail, which required me to speak to customers in noisy environments), and enjoying myself going out because I found it hard to keep up in conversations involving more than one person, even harder if there was any background noise. Eventually, I sucked it up. I did not let it affect me for a long period of time, I continued with my classes in college. It was definitely hard for me to adjust, it was difficult to localize sounds, and I found it embarrassing at first making people repeat themselves because I truthfully couldn't understand a word they said.

9 months later however, people I meet can't even tell unless I mention it. On Friday I got a CROS HA. It is doing wonders for me. People to the right of me can speak at a normal, even low voice, and I can understand them with barely any difficulty. This is a rare condition, especially for people of my age. I have done research to the best that my resources allow, and it is typically unexplainable. I'm glad and extremely blessed that there are no underlying medical issues, and that my hearing on my left side is 100%. I just wanted to share my story. Thank you to anyone who has read.

Welcome

Welcone Amanda,
I'm sorry for your troubles. Luckily hearing aids were able to help you. I lost my hearing in both ears overnight. No hearing aids will work for me. But, this site will provide you with lots of information. Good luck to you. :angel:

My story is as follows, on February 7th of this year I woke up feeling as if I could hear the ocean in my right ear. I went through my daily motions dealing with it, and it wasn't until the late afternoon while I was in class that I noticed I could not hear anything at all in my right ear. I didn't think anything of it until the 11th when I saw an ENT. Hearing tests were done and I was diagnosed with Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss (SSHL). I was started on prednisone, but unfortunately it did nothing. A lot of blood work was done and I had an MRI and fortunately, there is no medical problem with me. The cause of my hearing loss is idiopathic and unexplainable. I was devastated as I was 21, completely healthy, and I never had any problems with my ear prior to this. Months that followed I had difficulty working (retail, which required me to speak to customers in noisy environments), and enjoying myself going out because I found it hard to keep up in conversations involving more than one person, even harder if there was any background noise. Eventually, I sucked it up. I did not let it affect me for a long period of time, I continued with my classes in college. It was definitely hard for me to adjust, it was difficult to localize sounds, and I found it embarrassing at first making people repeat themselves because I truthfully couldn't understand a word they said.

9 months later however, people I meet can't even tell unless I mention it. On Friday I got a CROS HA. It is doing wonders for me. People to the right of me can speak at a normal, even low voice, and I can understand them with barely any difficulty. This is a rare condition, especially for people of my age. I have done research to the best that my resources allow, and it is typically unexplainable. I'm glad and extremely blessed that there are no underlying medical issues, and that my hearing on my left side is 100%. I just wanted to share my story. Thank you to anyone who has read.

you can find Dixie roaming in the forums since he's getting the CROS hearing aids next week before my birthday comes!

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome :)

Angle1989 I'm glad that you're so strong going through it

Sarfarigirl2011 happy early birthday!

Hi Amanda,

I'm glad to hear you are doing well! We're very close in age, and I was also thrust suddenly into the world of deafness just a few months back; I lost all of my hearing as a result of a car accident. I'm really glad to hear you are doing well!

-Lauren

Sudden loss

Hi Amanda,

I'm glad to hear you are doing well! We're very close in age, and I was also thrust suddenly into the world of deafness just a few months back; I lost all of my hearing as a result of a car accident. I'm really glad to hear you are doing well!

-Lauren
I'm sorry you had this horrible experience. I also lost all of my hearing in both ears overnight. Hearing aids will not benefit me. Will they help you? I'm trying to find a tutor to teach me ASL. I'm getting closer, but no luck yet. If you want to talk feel free to contact me. Wishing you a Happy Holiday and some good fortune in the New Year.:angel:

glickchick, I'm from New York as well :D I'm sorry to hear that that's happened to you. Like Angle1989 had said, do you know if hearing aids will benefit you?

Thanks guys.. So unfortunately, hearing aids won't work for me because I essentially severed my cochlear nerve. So, it's basically total silence for me. I'm really glad to know that I'm not alone in this. It has been a tough adjustment for sure. It's just really bizarre being in NY, the noisiest, loudest place in the world, and hearing absolutely nothing as the subways pull in or as I'm walking in the street. I started taking ASL lessons, but really didn't have the time to devote what I needed to it during the semester. I've been relying mostly on my attempts to lip read and pen/paper to communicate.

I'd love to continue to talk!

-Lauren

So sorry

Thanks guys.. So unfortunately, hearing aids won't work for me because I essentially severed my cochlear nerve. So, it's basically total silence for me. I'm really glad to know that I'm not alone in this. It has been a tough adjustment for sure. It's just really bizarre being in NY, the noisiest, loudest place in the world, and hearing absolutely nothing as the subways pull in or as I'm walking in the street. I started taking ASL lessons, but really didn't have the time to devote what I needed to it during the semester. I've been relying mostly on my attempts to lip read and pen/paper to communicate.

I'd love to continue to talk!

-Lauren

I'm in the same situation. But, I don't have quietness. I have a loud humming noise with a loud firecracker noise also. Pretty much 24/7. So if you don't have this it's a small thing to be grateful for. If you want to talk I'm available. Since I live in California there is a 3 hour time difference. But, I'm up off and on all during the night. I found an ASL tutor were just trying to set a schedule since she lives over an hour away. I wish you all the luck. Pray you find a health way to deal with this sudden loss. It's a tough journey, but one I'm ready to get going on. I hope you continue to learn ASL. Pen and paper communication gets tiresome.
Good luck
Happy Holidays
:angel:

I'm sorry to hear about that - It sounds really rough. The constant silence is tough to deal with, but not the annoyance that you have. I hope it gets better for you!

I'd love to talk - It's been so tough to find people my age who are going thru the same thing. It definitely is a tough journey for sure. For me, I've come to the realization that this is the way it is and this is the way it's going to be - My hearing isn't going to just magically come back, so there's no point in waiting for that to happen.

The communication issues are so challenging and frustrating. I've gotten pretty good at lipreading, but it's imperfect at best. I really can't stand speaking without hearing what I'm saying, so for the most part, I've given up on talking. From what people tell me, I still speak reasonably well, but I am starting to slur my words a bit - I guess that's normal. The hardest adjustment, though, is going thru life expecting to hear sounds, but they're just not there anymore. Also, the stigma of being deaf is incredibly tough to deal with as well. My friends have been amazing, but I know it's an effort to be with me now - Communication just isn't easy.

Anyway, I do hope we can help each other get thru this!

-Lauren

I'm in the same situation. But, I don't have quietness. I have a loud humming noise with a loud firecracker noise also. Pretty much 24/7. So if you don't have this it's a small thing to be grateful for. If you want to talk I'm available. Since I live in California there is a 3 hour time difference. But, I'm up off and on all during the night. I found an ASL tutor were just trying to set a schedule since she lives over an hour away. I wish you all the luck. Pray you find a health way to deal with this sudden loss. It's a tough journey, but one I'm ready to get going on. I hope you continue to learn ASL. Pen and paper communication gets tiresome.
Good luck
Happy Holidays
:angel:

Hey everyone :) nice to meet y'all

I'm Jakey I'm 18 :) I now have a severe hearing loss (i was born with a mild loss) n I'm getting hearing aids in January
It's a big adjustment for me (like it is for all of us!) n it'd be great to talk with people of a similar age to me and you guys all seem pretty cool

It'd be nice to get to know you guys :)

Jakey

Welcome

Hey everyone :) nice to meet y'all

I'm Jakey I'm 18 :) I now have a severe hearing loss (i was born with a mild loss) n I'm getting hearing aids in January
It's a big adjustment for me (like it is for all of us!) n it'd be great to talk with people of a similar age to me and you guys all seem pretty cool

It'd be nice to get to know you guys :)

Jakey

Welcome Jakey,
Hope you find this website helpful. I'm happy that you are able to get hearing aids. I can't use them for I have no hearing remaining. I just found this out last week and I'm still trying to swallow that news. Good luck with meeting people on this site. There are many nice and knowledgeable people.
Take care:angel:

Welcome Jakey,
Hope you find this website helpful. I'm happy that you are able to get hearing aids. I can't use them for I have no hearing remaining. I just found this out last week and I'm still trying to swallow that news. Good luck with meeting people on this site. There are many nice and knowledgeable people.
Take care:angel:

Hey, thanks
That must have been pretty big news to take and a hell of an adjustment! All the best with that :)

I'd love to talk - It's been so tough to find people my age who are going thru the same thing. It definitely is a tough journey for sure. For me, I've come to the realization that this is the way it is and this is the way it's going to be - My hearing isn't going to just magically come back, so there's no point in waiting for that to happen.
Anyway, I do hope we can help each other get thru this!

-Lauren

I think the problem is that most young folks who are dhh are those who were born that way. Very few young adults go dhh as young adults...most of us were born or early dhh. You know...are you in college? Maybe you could go to NTID and become fluent in ASL!

Yep, I'm in college. I've started to take ASL lessons, but didn't really have enough time to devote to it. I am definitely going to make it a priority to learn, as I know it will change my life.

QUOTE=deafdyke;2001741]I think the problem is that most young folks who are dhh are those who were born that way. Very few young adults go dhh as young adults...most of us were born or early dhh. You know...are you in college? Maybe you could go to NTID and become fluent in ASL![/QUOTE]

Yep, I'm in college. I've started to take ASL lessons, but didn't really have enough time to devote to it. I am definitely going to make it a priority to learn, as I know it will change my life.

QUOTE=deafdyke;2001741]I think the problem is that most young folks who are dhh are those who were born that way. Very few young adults go dhh as young adults...most of us were born or early dhh. You know...are you in college? Maybe you could go to NTID and become fluent in ASL!
[/QUOTE]

Why not transfer to Gally or NTID? You could learn ASL by being totally immersed in it, and be also able to get REALLY good accomondations etc

QUOTE=deafdyke;2001741]I think the problem is that most young folks who are dhh are those who were born that way. Very few young adults go dhh as young adults...most of us were born or early dhh. You know...are you in college? Maybe you could go to NTID and become fluent in ASL!

I live in NY... Or at least for 2 more weeks. Could have always called me up for a lesson. I know of plenty deaf events, too.

Back