HELP: New job not going so well...

How does that look if you report her after being there only two days?

Like he has enough self respect to refuse to be discriminated against.

Exactly. Loghead, don't turn a blind eye now. You are young and just starting your life of employment, which is going to be long and most-likely full of more situations like this. If you fall into a habit of letting people treat you like garbage because you are deaf/hoh (or not), it becomes really hard to break later on.

Report her. You said yourself that this job doesn't mean that much to you. If the report doesn't go well and they let you go, or if it creates an uncomfortable situation, you can always find another job.

The real question is this: how much does your self-respect mean to you?

I'm just saying two days is early in the game. Undoubtedly this manager has a lot going on and may be doing things she might not usually be doing. While I am never one to advocate doing nothing against discrimination, perhaps seeing if things improve in a few days is worthwhile. If not...she had her chance.

I just took a quick glance at it. I'm not sure what to make of it... what can Bill 168 do? I wouldn't mind knowing more about it in case of another incident occurring.

Oh dear, your employer is supposed to give you a presentation and training on it. It's the law.

Loghead, if you do suspect discrimination, you need to try to document and get witnesses supporting your case before you make the charge, otherwise, it will just be a "he-said/she-said" situation.

I hope that your situation improves in a few days so such action won't be necessary.

Like he has enough self respect to refuse to be discriminated against.

My dad told me that it sounded like I was "making a mountain out of a mole hill"... which is true, I guess. So I've decided not to. Although, the first signs of further discrimination will result in my family and I reporting her.

Exactly. Loghead, don't turn a blind eye now. You are young and just starting your life of employment, which is going to be long and most-likely full of more situations like this. If you fall into a habit of letting people treat you like garbage because you are deaf/hoh (or not), it becomes really hard to break later on.

Report her. You said yourself that this job doesn't mean that much to you. If the report doesn't go well and they let you go, or if it creates an uncomfortable situation, you can always find another job.

The real question is this: how much does your self-respect mean to you?

You're right, and that's how I looked at it too. My mom said that it seemed like I was wanting to report her for the wrong reasons... just to get back at her. I admit that it was part of the reason for my considering reporting her.

Oh dear, your employer is supposed to give you a presentation and training on it. It's the law.

My employer was also supposed to give us WHMIS training, which we didn't get (we did learn what WHMIS stood for). Obviously my employer isn't the most reliable with regards to human resources. It was disorganized from the start.

EDIT: Also, you said this bill came into effect come the first of this month right? My job orientation was the 15th of May... did they still have to teach it to us? I don't think it would have made a difference anyway.

Loghead, if you do suspect discrimination, you need to try to document and get witnesses supporting your case before you make the charge, otherwise, it will just be a "he-said/she-said" situation.

I hope that your situation improves in a few days so such action won't be necessary.

Exactly. My mom said that it would be my word against hers with regards to when she announced she was previously aware of my hearing loss. However, there were witnesses when she singled me out several times, yelling for me to "LISTEN" and "PAY ATTENTION".

I am going to wait and see if everything improves. However, if such an occurrence is to happen again, not only will I go psychotic, but my family and I will be scheduling a meeting with her boss.

That is what I is said too, my daughter and ex husband had a presentation and job training when they got a new job working at restaurants . I think it would better call OSHA and see what laws were broken from not getting any job training . And write down everything that has happen with the time date etc and it would good to send emails to your friends about this , if you do decide say you been discriminated you will have prove that you were effected by it. I think it rather too early made a discrimination complaint , it going to made it look you just complaining about not like to be told what to do. If your boss violated OSHA regulation that would really look bad for her!

That is what I is said too, my daughter and ex husband had a presentation and job training when they got a new job working at restaurants . I think it would better call OSHA and see what laws were broken from not getting any job training . And write down everything that has happen with the time date etc and it would good to send emails to your friends about this , if you do decide say you been discriminated you will have prove that you were effected by it. I think it rather too early made a discrimination complaint , it going to made it look you just complaining about not like to be told what to do. If your boss violated OSHA regulation that would really look bad for her!
Loghead lives in Canada. There is no OSHA that I am aware of in Canada. I could be wrong...

Loghead lives in Canada. There is no OSHA that I am aware of in Canada. I could be wrong...

Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS) promotes a safe and healthy working environment by providing occupational health and safety ...
Canada has this . So he would have to call CCOHS , I was not not sure if Loghead lived in Canada .

I think that the day my boss said those things, she was just really stressed out because it was the first day. Needless to say, it still doesn't excuse her behaviour. I'm letting it go, mainly because she hasn't said anything futher. Today she even, get this, accomodated me! :shock: I was so surprised, but happy about it. She wanted me to stock up the fridge in the second kitchen, and asked me if I would like what she needed stocked written down. I took her up on her offer, because that makes it easier for me. :) The job is getting better. :)

Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS) promotes a safe and healthy working environment by providing occupational health and safety ...
Canada has this . So he would have to call CCOHS , I was not not sure if Loghead lived in Canada .
Thanks for the info. I had forgotten this thread. Oops, my bad.

I think that the day my boss said those things, she was just really stressed out because it was the first day. Needless to say, it still doesn't excuse her behaviour. I'm letting it go, mainly because she hasn't said anything futher. Today she even, get this, accomodated me! :shock: I was so surprised, but happy about it. She wanted me to stock up the fridge in the second kitchen, and asked me if I would like what she needed stocked written down. I took her up on her offer, because that makes it easier for me. :) The job is getting better. :)
Yeah, it was everyone's first day. Looks different when you take that into mind. Glad she has begun to work with you.

Great news. I saw in the other thread you even found a deaf co-worker. Hopefully it will be a good summer and you will have lots of money for college. :)

Glad that things are working out. Enjoy your summer!

Back