HELP: New job not going so well...

Loghead

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know I haven't been around very much, but it has been because I've been busy... I plan to come around more in the summer.

So the reason why I am making this new thread is because I started a new job today, and it's not going that great... I need your advice specifically because you all likely have experience with this difficulty.

I started my job today at a brand new amusement park (specifically a water park), working as a cook in a fast food cafeteria setting. Here, I'm to work the vats as well as possibly the grill. I began working a little before 11, and it immediately started off with disorganization and miscommunication. I was told that I was to go to the staff room when I first got there, and wait for one of the managers to come give me a company shirt and an ID card (I already had one). I stuck around there for about ten minutes, and when I realized she was not coming, I went to the cafeteria and explained to her what had happened. She told me that I was actually supposed to meet her in the cafeteria, which I did not know. No big deal. So I get my shirt, punch in with the card, and she calls everyone over.

She asks us all if we know what we're doing, and I say that I'm a cook in the cafeteria. Keep in mind that we had NO PRIOR training as you read this post... they left it all to the last minute. This was a brand new water park, nobody had worked there before. So she lets me know that the building we were in was where I was going to be working, and then asks us all to go with her. So I follow a group of people into another building, with her guiding us, where she announces that I am to go to the cafeteria. They didn't tell me what I was supposed to start doing or who I was to report to. :confused: So, I ask her, who do I go and see? She says that I need to see Francis. And I'm like, who's Francis? Then she said, "He's the tall guy." So I go around the whole freaking cafeteria asking a bunch of tall people if they're Francis when I finally find him.

After I find Francis, he tells me to clean the counters from top to bottom and to go into the fridge and freezer to organize the food. I did it all, and it was very simple instruction. As soon as I finish doing these things, I come out with some empty boxes I find, put them away, and then my manager comes over. She asked me (or yelled, whatever you prefer) what I was doing cleaning, and that since things were busy, I should be over working the vats (as if I'm supposed to know when there was NO prior training, or specified placements). So I tell her, "I didn't know I wasn't supposed to be doing this, and I don't know how to work the vats." OK, she says, go and ask this guy to help you. So I go over, he helps me, and then this is where you guys come in for the advice:

I'm putting some food in the fryer, and my manager comes and tells me I'm doing it wrong and shows me how to do it properly. No issues there... it's my first day. But here's where things get complicated: I was unaware that, when you're cooking something, you need to be able to **LISTEN** to the people putting the food out onto the display, and be aware of what they need. I did not know this, and was being told (or yelled at, whatever you prefer) that we needed this stuff. The manager, getting frustrated, singled me out in front of everybody and told (or yelled at, whatever you prefer) me I, "needed to LISTEN and pay ATTENTION so to know what food was to be cooked in the vat" and that we needed to talk to each other. The thing is, the cafeteria was packed with lots of chatty people, then the kitchens had running ovens, grills, vats, etc... and on top of that, my back, cooking at the vat, was to the rest of the people... and as you all know very well, people with hearing aids have a lot of trouble hearing people talking behind them... so my manager's "request" would be more than a little bit difficult.

After she did this once, she actually decided to single me out several other times for "listening" and "paying attention". I almost wanted to pull her aside and say, "Look, that's kind of difficult for me." Then, at one point, she chastised me for not shaking the chicken burgers long enough. No issue... I can take constructive criticism. But then, after I had finished doing it, someone else made more, and put them out (they didn't shake it long enough). I got in trouble for that...

The thing is, aside from the fact that they were a TOTALLY DISORGANIZED brand new business that gave their employees NO PRIOR TRAINING before the first, opening weekend... and aside from the fact that they seemed to expect us to know EXACTLY what we were supposed to do (when I arrived about 3 hours later in the day than the majority of the people in my area)... they singled me out about how I was unable to hear what people were wanting me to do, and their motivation was "listen" and "pay attention".

Needless to say, I am not very pleased. I am going in for my shift tomorrow, but am going to ask that they switch me to a job that is a LOT less hearing-required, because obviously they were blind when they decided to assign me to that particular job. When I told my mom about their system, she questioned as to why they didn't have little TV screens or monitors saying what they needed. It was far too disorganized. My mom thought maybe I should go in and ask for certain accomodations... but the thing is, if hearing is required throughout the majority of the job's duties, then I shouldn't be in that position at all. I also don't like drawing attention to myself.

I'm here asking, what should I do? Is what I'm doing tomorrow right? Should I be getting out of that area? What if they can't find me a better position in the park? I'm just so confused right now. I've never come to experience anything like this... I wasn't a huge fan of my old job, but to be honest, they were a lot more accomodating and preferred to choose a job to suit my needs.

Update: I talked to my dad about it (when I wrote the post before I had just talked to my mom) and he suggested that I tell her tomorrow before I start my shift, and then if she doesn't change, or attempt to help me out a bit, that I ask for a switch.

whoa there bro. good to hear from you again but sorry to hear it went rough. well - you know this. first time is always rough. pretty dang rough. and no do not give up. you must exhaust all options first before you move on.

you mentioned that there is food in display. Can you see it?

whoa there bro. good to hear from you again but sorry to hear it went rough. well - you know this. first time is always rough. pretty dang rough. and no do not give up. you must exhaust all options first before you move on.

you mentioned that there is food in display. Can you see it?

Thanks Jiro.

If I needed to see how much food was there, I would have to leave the fyers and go look into the displays myself. Someone else is to let us know what to make. :confused: It's really weird and disorganized...

Thanks Jiro.

If I needed to see how much food was there, I would have to leave the fyers and go look into the displays myself. Someone else is to let us know what to make. :confused: It's really weird and disorganized...

the best I can suggest is to work it out with your coworkers or supervisor to make your job easier. if all options have been tried and failed... then you can start thinking about switching to different position.

Update: I talked to my dad about it (when I wrote the post before I had just talked to my mom) and he suggested that I tell her tomorrow before I start my shift, and then if she doesn't change, or attempt to help me out a bit, that I ask for a switch.

Your dad gave you good advice. It sounds like everyone was a little unprepared for the opening of this new waterpark. Try to hang in there and work out the differences. I'm sorry your first day was so tough.

Hi all,

I know I haven't been around very much, but it has been because I've been busy... I plan to come around more in the summer.

So the reason why I am making this new thread is because I started a new job today, and it's not going that great... I need your advice specifically because you all likely have experience with this difficulty.

I started my job today at a brand new amusement park (specifically a water park), working as a cook in a fast food cafeteria setting. Here, I'm to work the vats as well as possibly the grill. I began working a little before 11, and it immediately started off with disorganization and miscommunication. I was told that I was to go to the staff room when I first got there, and wait for one of the managers to come give me a company shirt and an ID card (I already had one). I stuck around there for about ten minutes, and when I realized she was not coming, I went to the cafeteria and explained to her what had happened. She told me that I was actually supposed to meet her in the cafeteria, which I did not know. No big deal. So I get my shirt, punch in with the card, and she calls everyone over.

She asks us all if we know what we're doing, and I say that I'm a cook in the cafeteria. Keep in mind that we had NO PRIOR training as you read this post... they left it all to the last minute. This was a brand new water park, nobody had worked there before. So she lets me know that the building we were in was where I was going to be working, and then asks us all to go with her. So I follow a group of people into another building, with her guiding us, where she announces that I am to go to the cafeteria. They didn't tell me what I was supposed to start doing or who I was to report to. :confused: So, I ask her, who do I go and see? She says that I need to see Francis. And I'm like, who's Francis? Then she said, "He's the tall guy." So I go around the whole freaking cafeteria asking a bunch of tall people if they're Francis when I finally find him.

After I find Francis, he tells me to clean the counters from top to bottom and to go into the fridge and freezer to organize the food. I did it all, and it was very simple instruction. As soon as I finish doing these things, I come out with some empty boxes I find, put them away, and then my manager comes over. She asked me (or yelled, whatever you prefer) what I was doing cleaning, and that since things were busy, I should be over working the vats (as if I'm supposed to know when there was NO prior training, or specified placements). So I tell her, "I didn't know I wasn't supposed to be doing this, and I don't know how to work the vats." OK, she says, go and ask this guy to help you. So I go over, he helps me, and then this is where you guys come in for the advice:

I'm putting some food in the fryer, and my manager comes and tells me I'm doing it wrong and shows me how to do it properly. No issues there... it's my first day. But here's where things get complicated: I was unaware that, when you're cooking something, you need to be able to **LISTEN** to the people putting the food out onto the display, and be aware of what they need. I did not know this, and was being told (or yelled at, whatever you prefer) that we needed this stuff. The manager, getting frustrated, singled me out in front of everybody and told (or yelled at, whatever you prefer) me I, "needed to LISTEN and pay ATTENTION so to know what food was to be cooked in the vat" and that we needed to talk to each other. The thing is, the cafeteria was packed with lots of chatty people, then the kitchens had running ovens, grills, vats, etc... and on top of that, my back, cooking at the vat, was to the rest of the people... and as you all know very well, people with hearing aids have a lot of trouble hearing people talking behind them... so my manager's "request" would be more than a little bit difficult.

After she did this once, she actually decided to single me out several other times for "listening" and "paying attention". I almost wanted to pull her aside and say, "Look, that's kind of difficult for me." Then, at one point, she chastised me for not shaking the chicken burgers long enough. No issue... I can take constructive criticism. But then, after I had finished doing it, someone else made more, and put them out (they didn't shake it long enough). I got in trouble for that...

The thing is, aside from the fact that they were a TOTALLY DISORGANIZED brand new business that gave their employees NO PRIOR TRAINING before the first, opening weekend... and aside from the fact that they seemed to expect us to know EXACTLY what we were supposed to do (when I arrived about 3 hours later in the day than the majority of the people in my area)... they singled me out about how I was unable to hear what people were wanting me to do, and their motivation was "listen" and "pay attention".

Needless to say, I am not very pleased. I am going in for my shift tomorrow, but am going to ask that they switch me to a job that is a LOT less hearing-required, because obviously they were blind when they decided to assign me to that particular job. When I told my mom about their system, she questioned as to why they didn't have little TV screens or monitors saying what they needed. It was far too disorganized. My mom thought maybe I should go in and ask for certain accomodations... but the thing is, if hearing is required throughout the majority of the job's duties, then I shouldn't be in that position at all. I also don't like drawing attention to myself.

I'm here asking, what should I do? Is what I'm doing tomorrow right? Should I be getting out of that area? What if they can't find me a better position in the park? I'm just so confused right now. I've never come to experience anything like this... I wasn't a huge fan of my old job, but to be honest, they were a lot more accomodating and preferred to choose a job to suit my needs.

Wow everyone at your job is TOTALLY DISORGANIZED and you are the only one that sound ORGANIZED ! It is really poor mangement that no one was train for their job, and that is recipe for disaster! You have people telling you to do one thing and when you do someone get mad at you , could you tell your boss you was were following orders when she ask the why you're cleaning up? I think it is a safety violation that you were not trained how to use the deep fryer , and that fact that you have to be able to listen to what going doing on around you it going made it hard to really pay attention to the hot food you are working with and have to turn around to talk to someone!
I really think you should ask to speak to our boss and tell him/her that you really want the job but you need to work in another a part of the park you feel more suitable for you. You said this is brand new water park and no one had any training , does that mean the people that work in the water park have no training too? I hope not ! It sound the people that own the park has no idea what they're doing! There should had been a job orientation training
a few days before the park open to the public! I hope you'll be able to work this out and find job in the park that work for you.

Ah dang man.. it sure would be a chaotic thing for the business on the first day or so.. really, everyone should have gotten together prior to that first opening day and get organized and more.. really a poor decision on the business model to do so with all this and ya getting yelled and etc.. I do remember when I started at Boston Pizza, the kitchen manager had made sure he would show me how to do the dough work and etc and told the other guys in the kitchen to communicate with me via writing board or some way to gesture and etc... so it was hard at first but now it is good as ever... the guys got used to me and I got used to them good enough so it works fine.. ya will get used to that new job in no time and everyone will get used to you there in no time ok? Have faith and it will work out...

I'm sorry that you're first day at the job was so hectic and confusing. Yes, management was responsible for prior training and organization, and they didn't do it.

I hope things go better for you when you go back. Maybe some of the first day "bugs" will be worked out.

I did have this thought: what if the manager had no prior training? It seems to be a common theme at this place. Maybe her credentials were just a shade better than everyone else's. Hang in there.

I can't say much that somebody else did not already say. Just second their advice and tell you to hang in there.

Sorry your first day was so bad. :(

Just wondering: Was everyone aware that you are deaf/hoh? You need to be proactive and make sure all your coworkers and managers are aware of this. Don't just tell one person and expect everyone else to know. It is YOUR responsibility!

If they were all aware of your deafness, particularly the woman who was singling you out and making an example of you, that's pretty much discrimination and I'd go to one of the supervisors (not a manager), and let them know about the situation. Not cool at all. I don't know how this stuff works in Canada, but in the USA, that shit would not fly, and I'd be going commando on their asses.

the best I can suggest is to work it out with your coworkers or supervisor to make your job easier. if all options have been tried and failed... then you can start thinking about switching to different position.

Thanks, Jiro. That's pretty much what my dad said. Hopefully things will change... because all I know is, right now, I'm not too happy. :( I was given this job back in January... I was kind of looking forward to it.

Your dad gave you good advice. It sounds like everyone was a little unprepared for the opening of this new waterpark. Try to hang in there and work out the differences. I'm sorry your first day was so tough.

I thought his advice was good too... he's always the "go-to" for work-related issues. And you are right, they were VERY unprepared... you'd think that, with 500 employees, they would have put more effort into training them. All I got was a simple orientation (which was a tour, and the explanation of WHMIS, but all they did was tell us what WHMIS stood for and what it was... not the details of it :confused:). They called us for training, but they didn't have any appliances set up and running so all they could do was tell us what they were....
Thanks, it really blew. :( I was hoping for better.

Wow everyone at your job is TOTALLY DISORGANIZED and you are the only one that sound ORGANIZED ! It is really poor mangement that no one was train for their job, and that is recipe for disaster! You have people telling you to do one thing and when you do someone get mad at you , could you tell your boss you was were following orders when she ask the why you're cleaning up? I think it is a safety violation that you were not trained how to use the deep fryer , and that fact that you have to be able to listen to what going doing on around you it going made it hard to really pay attention to the hot food you are working with and have to turn around to talk to someone!
I really think you should ask to speak to our boss and tell him/her that you really want the job but you need to work in another a part of the park you feel more suitable for you. You said this is brand new water park and no one had any training , does that mean the people that work in the water park have no training too? I hope not ! It sound the people that own the park has no idea what they're doing! There should had been a job orientation training
a few days before the park open to the public! I hope you'll be able to work this out and find job in the park that work for you.

Very much so... luckily the lifeguards were trained, but they are the only employees that were. It's kind of sad really... 50 million dollar investment, and you'd think that they'd put a little more thought into the training of their employees.

Ah dang man.. it sure would be a chaotic thing for the business on the first day or so.. really, everyone should have gotten together prior to that first opening day and get organized and more.. really a poor decision on the business model to do so with all this and ya getting yelled and etc.. I do remember when I started at Boston Pizza, the kitchen manager had made sure he would show me how to do the dough work and etc and told the other guys in the kitchen to communicate with me via writing board or some way to gesture and etc... so it was hard at first but now it is good as ever... the guys got used to me and I got used to them good enough so it works fine.. ya will get used to that new job in no time and everyone will get used to you there in no time ok? Have faith and it will work out...

That was good of them to accomodate you! I only wish that the waterpark was a little bit more accomodating.

I'm sorry that you're first day at the job was so hectic and confusing. Yes, management was responsible for prior training and organization, and they didn't do it.

I hope things go better for you when you go back. Maybe some of the first day "bugs" will be worked out.

Yes, exactly. Let's hope that things get cleared up in the next couple weeks. I won't stay if this is common.

I did have this thought: what if the manager had no prior training? It seems to be a common theme at this place. Maybe her credentials were just a shade better than everyone else's. Hang in there.

The manager apparently worked at McDonalds for 17 years, so she knows best. I saw her talking about it with someone else.
Thanks, SWK :)

I can't say much that somebody else did not already say. Just second their advice and tell you to hang in there.

Sorry your first day was so bad. :(

Thanks, Botti! I'm not really looking forward to tomorrow.

Just wondering: Was everyone aware that you are deaf/hoh? You need to be proactive and make sure all your coworkers and managers are aware of this. Don't just tell one person and expect everyone else to know. It is YOUR responsibility!

If they were all aware of your deafness, particularly the woman who was singling you out and making an example of you, that's pretty much discrimination and I'd go to one of the supervisors (not a manager), and let them know about the situation. Not cool at all. I don't know how this stuff works in Canada, but in the USA, that shit would not fly, and I'd be going commando on their asses.

No, I think that the only person who knew I was hard of hearing was the main boss who runs food & hospitality. He was the one who hired me. I don't think he would have made note of it because of the issues that could come with discrimination.

That's true, they don't know already. I will be telling her about my hearing loss tomorrow, optionally. My dad said that if she doesn't change her act after that, then she's stupid and just asking for a discrimination investigation... easy black mark on a brand new business.

She saw me at our orientation (if you can call it that), but none of them actually knew the details about my loss. All they could tell is that I wear HAs. That's why I'm cutting her some slack, but at the same time, I won't accept it from her. She can be a boss, and give me constructive criticism, but there's a certain line that she crossed today.

If I get attitude from her when I go see her tomorrow, which I hope I don't get, I will go nuts. :lol: Or, if she continues, then I will go nuts. I will not be working there period if she continues, and instead I might attempt at making my summer pay via lawsuit. :lol: Just kidding.

God, I hate my boss... and I don't care that I just posted that on a public forum, because to be perfectly honest, this job doesn't matter too much to me.

So I did what I said I would... I went in at about 10:30, and I asked my manager if she could talk. She was walking with a girl, and she pointed at her and said, "No, I'm busy talking with it." :confused: Whatever she meant by calling the girl "it", I don't know, but it's fairly irrelevent... at the same time, it shows the level of respect she gives her employees.

After waiting for about 30 minutes, I decided to ask her again. This time she said she could talk. So I basically said, "Yesterday, when you gave me the advice of 'LISTENING' and 'PAYING ATTENTION'..... I just want you to be aware that I have a moderate-severe hearing loss, so it is very difficult for me to hear behind, but also to the sides. Talking to someone face-to-face usually helps."
Her reply, "Oh... I was aware... very aware... that's why I put you at the poutine station today."
It wasn't really the response I was looking for... the fact that she stated that she was aware of my hearing loss beforehand makes her insensitive advice to "LISTEN" and "PAY ATTENTION" even more questionable.

So I guess TheWriteAlex was right... since she was aware of it, it was discrimination. I don't know if maybe I should report her or not, because I was the only person around when she stated that she was previously aware of my hearing loss (my word against hers). Several people were around when she gave me her *helpful* advice, however.

Also, this is totally irrelevent but it proves her poor character... today she was bugging someone to get non-slip shoes. They said that they were going to get them. She said, "You know why I want you to get non-slip shoes? Because if you slip and fall, guess who gets the blame... me."

No respect for anyone else. We're all her loyal subjects. I guess maybe working in McDonalds for 17 years made her an angry person.

Perhaps you need to report her to the people in higher places. Managers aren't supposed to treat their employees in such a manner.

Besides, are you familiar with Bill 168? It came in effect on the 1st of this month.

Bill 168 - Workplace Violence and Harassment Program / Training / Investigation - Ontario, Canada

Just wanted you to be aware of this new bill in case you need it someday. It's to protect the employees from bullying, mistreatment, violence, mental and physical abuse, etc.

No respect for anyone else. We're all her loyal subjects. I guess maybe working in McDonalds for 17 years made her an angry person.
Working there for 17 years probably made her get tired of high school kids. She must have become jaded by the high turnover rate. Keep at it, and maybe you can get promoted to....something without her managing you.

Hey loghead, just wondering if you have some cliff notes for some of all this? I read through it but am still having trouble deciphering your exact motives. It seems there's a lot of emotion going on in here being expressed in many forms and they are getting the better of you.

It sounds as if the job is obviously not taking you seriously as you were probably looking for a specific on-the-spot job to take off launch.

If you intend to stay there, keep in mind you may have to deal with seeing anyone you don't like there in the future. Seniority always gives the other employees an edge over you unless you can display what you're capable of to an alternate 'capo famiglia'.

Do you intend to work and climb up the ladder at that place or are there other employment opportunities in mind?
What did you see from this job when you took it?

Perhaps you need to report her to the people in higher places. Managers aren't supposed to treat their employees in such a manner.

Besides, are you familiar with Bill 168? It came in effect on the 1st of this month.

Bill 168 - Workplace Violence and Harassment Program / Training / Investigation - Ontario, Canada

Just wanted you to be aware of this new bill in case you need it someday. It's to protect the employees from bullying, mistreatment, violence, mental and physical abuse, etc.

I just took a quick glance at it. I'm not sure what to make of it... what can Bill 168 do? I wouldn't mind knowing more about it in case of another incident occurring.

Working there for 17 years probably made her get tired of high school kids. She must have become jaded by the high turnover rate. Keep at it, and maybe you can get promoted to....something without her managing you.

LOL! That's what I was thinking too... she probably grew tired of dealing a couple of lazy slobs and assume we're all the same.

Well, it's only a seasonal job (it ends labour day weekend, I think). So maybe next year, if I'm still there with a bunch of new people, my seniority will get me a higher position.

Hey loghead, just wondering if you have some cliff notes for some of all this? I read through it but am still having trouble deciphering your exact motives. It seems there's a lot of emotion going on in here being expressed in many forms and they are getting the better of you.

It sounds as if the job is obviously not taking you seriously as you were probably looking for a specific on-the-spot job to take off launch.

If you intend to stay there, keep in mind you may have to deal with seeing anyone you don't like there in the future. Seniority always gives the other employees an edge over you unless you can display what you're capable of to an alternate 'capo famiglia'.

Do you intend to work and climb up the ladder at that place or are there other employment opportunities in mind?
What did you see from this job when you took it?

Sorry about the emotional miss & match... I really must admit that I've been going through several different emotions since yesterday. Anger when she said that to me, worry when I had to speak to her... and now I don't know what to think. I know I strongly dislike her, but the job itself is OK. I had a much better day today... she left me alone. LOL

I hope to stay there... but I don't want to work with her there. I'm seriously considering reporting her after getting some more opinions on whether or not what she said was discriminatory.

Back