Help me find a car

Tousi said:
How about a Honda CRV? It is technically a truck but seats 5 with space in the rear for groceries, etc. Not sure about it's mileage but I bet it's not bad.
They say 21 mpg average; about $24,000 new. Consumer Reports rated it "recommended". That is a possibility.

Ah all right, I get what you mean.

Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 is a good choice for a small SUV, but it's not a "heavy duty" suv, tho it gets about 20-22 mpg and it has 4 cylinder engine, too. Subaru Forester is also good, too. It looks like a tall station wagon than a suv, but it does ride kinda high.

My 1994 Honda Civic gets average of 30-33 mpg. :)

Reba said:
"Tall" I meant like an SUV. That is why I liked my Durango. I could drive thru the puddles without flooding the engine. I used to have a Chrysler LeBaron GTS, and the flooded streets and parking lots were a big problem for it. That is why I don't want a "short" car, meaning low-profile.

Yes, small SUV was my first choice. I have been researching small SUVs but their mpg was disappointing. The Liberty diesel gets only 11 mpg! That's worse than my Durango (14 mpg)!

diehardbiker65 said:
More like misprinted. I have never heard of any diesel this size going for only 11 MPG. They usually gives at least 20 MPG. Bus is different story, and that 18 wheelers usually gets at least 30 miles per gallon on the highway and about 8 in the city.

Is this a typo? 18 wheelers can't get 30 mpg on the highway, I thought they average 8 to 10 mpg. The Dodge RAM cummins diesel gets about 20 mpg without trailer or load.

Yes, they can! Why? It is the physics related. Because of massive weight truck have to haul, once going on cruising on the highway, there is little need for power. Don't you realize that it takes longer for 18 wheelers to brake to full stop. It is all because of the weight in the back. Same goes with the train, it takes 1 mile for train to go down from 55 MPH to full stop. That is why train was able to use the least energy to haul 400 cars with 2 to 4 engines. On other hand, cars are very light, and they have more horses than really needed, and because gasoline engine don't vary with horses like Diesel engine do. What I mean Diesel engine can drop from 70hp to measly 30hp once on cruise (That is for 4 cylinder). That is HOW they can go higher MPG.
Now, you see why 18 wheelers takes only 8mpg in the city, it is because truck have to stop and go and stop and go, this uses too much energy to pull heavy load.
My dad was truck driver, and that I once own diesel powered car. That is how I know about these stuff. The only big problem with diesel is that their soot is cancer causing agent. The researcher just discovered about a year ago, which really disappoints me. Diesel engine has plenty of advantages. They are actually oil, thus kepts the engine lubricate all the time. That is how Diesel engine lasts much longer than gasoline engine (Gasoline is vapor not oil!), there is more to advantage of this diesel, need not to list more. grin.
sequoias said:
Is this a typo? 18 wheelers can't get 30 mpg on the highway, I thought they average 8 to 10 mpg.

Hmmm, good point and also the semi truck diesel engines only go up to 2,100 rpm redline and have lot of low gear ratios. There are even some 60 feet articulated city buses with a 4 cylinder diesel engine, too. Not all of them, some have 6 some have 4 depending on what option they wanted.

Also, diesel engines are more energy efficent than gasoline engines, they burn more of the fuel, thus more efficent power to move a vehicle or whatever it's cranking.

diehardbiker65 said:
Yes, they can! Why? It is the physics related. Because of massive weight truck have to haul, once going on cruising on the highway, there is little need for power. Don't you realize that it takes longer for 18 wheelers to brake to full stop. It is all because of the weight in the back. Same goes with the train, it takes 1 mile for train to go down from 55 MPH to full stop. That is why train was able to use the least energy to haul 400 cars with 2 to 4 engines. On other hand, cars are very light, and they have more horses than really needed, and because gasoline engine don't vary with horses like Diesel engine do. What I mean Diesel engine can drop from 70hp to measly 30hp once on cruise (That is for 4 cylinder). That is HOW they can go higher MPG.
Now, you see why 18 wheelers takes only 8mpg in the city, it is because truck have to stop and go and stop and go, this uses too much energy to pull heavy load.
My dad was truck driver, and that I once own diesel powered car. That is how I know about these stuff. The only big problem with diesel is that their soot is cancer causing agent. The researcher just discovered about a year ago, which really disappoints me. Diesel engine has plenty of advantages. They are actually oil, thus kepts the engine lubricate all the time. That is how Diesel engine lasts much longer than gasoline engine (Gasoline is vapor not oil!), there is more to advantage of this diesel, need not to list more. grin.

That is correct, diesel burns almost all of the available energy that comes out of diesel fuel. Whats more, diesel requires higher compression ratio, that is why it does not have much horses in there. They have higher torque than gasoline, and that is what you'd want when it comes to haul heavy stuff.

City bus, average is 3 miles to a gallon. That DOES makes sense because of the weight involve and ultra frequent stops that bus require to make.

sequoias said:
Hmmm, good point and also the semi truck diesel engines only go up to 2,100 rpm redline and have lot of low gear ratios. There are even some 60 feet articulated city buses with a 4 cylinder diesel engine, too. Not all of them, some have 6 some have 4 depending on what option they wanted.

Also, diesel engines are more energy efficent than gasoline engines, they burn more of the fuel, thus more efficent power to move a vehicle or whatever it's cranking.

Yea ya got it right, too. :D

I read that city buses in Seattle get 3 to 4 mpg on average, just like u said. :)

diehardbiker65 said:
That is correct, diesel burns almost all of the available energy that comes out of diesel fuel. Whats more, diesel requires higher compression ratio, that is why it does not have much horses in there. They have higher torque than gasoline, and that is what you'd want when it comes to haul heavy stuff.

City bus, average is 3 miles to a gallon. That DOES makes sense because of the weight involve and ultra frequent stops that bus require to make.

i got a honda passport 2002 and i been driving it for 4 months now........

all ard the island covers 96 miles to kona and 93 miles back to hilo so which would give me 183 miles round trip on the big island. so that gives me that full tank of gas which is 40 bucks right now RMFE but helps when i find a short cut and on a VERY clear day i ll drive on saddle road which is a few curves and ALL straight lines thru the miltary practice zones and its really nice BUT top of the mountain EH so i usually drive thru wameia thats pretty much it :)

i also drive 40 miles ard trip for work ( 20 to and 20 back) so that takes up some gas for at least 300 miles for me so thats ur idea if u need to know more :)

Again, thanks for more ideas.

(Except for the 18-wheeler; I don't think it will fit in my garage. :) It would be great for the flooded streets though!)

diehardbiker65 said:
That is true! they have enough share of problems!

Hondas, and Toyota is one of most realiable vehicles and usually gets one of best MPG.

I agree about Toyota....that company makes very good vehicles, imho. :) In fact, I've owned 2 Toyotas myself in the past (1983 Cressida which I sold to my cousin, and my current vehicle, a 1991 Camry). :)

Isnt the Durango supposed to come out in a hybrid version? I had a Durango myself and I LOVED it! ... the ED because it cost me $25 bux to fill up that tank everyday :doh:

DeafBiker4JC said:
Isnt the Durango supposed to come out in a hybrid version? I had a Durango myself and I LOVED it! ... the ED because it cost me $25 bux to fill up that tank everyday :doh:
No hybrid yet.

I will miss my SUV. Yesterday, and today, I did some "off-road" urban driving, and it was nice having an SUV to do it. I wasn't doing it for fun but neccessity. Urban "off-road" means driving over concrete medians and curbs, or on unpaved shoulders, or thru construction sites. Sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do to get somewhere. ;)

bike

hi ya !hi ya!
buy a motor!cycle! buy 2!
get a 3 wheeler!
i bought a honda cb 900 for $100 bucks, cleaned it up $5. gave it a tune up.$25 got insurence,$125 a year. all told i did not spend more than $250 for a very cool bike!it has a drive shaft ..so i am going to make a 3 wheeler out of it. that will cost another $150....wow! gas...you need to look real hard to beat abike for gas milage.
and please!!!! do not say you are to old ,or you are a girl. i know grandmoms who drive harleys! :dance:

vfr said:
hi ya !hi ya!
buy a motor!cycle! buy 2!
get a 3 wheeler!
i bought a honda cb 900 for $100 bucks, cleaned it up $5. gave it a tune up.$25 got insurence,$125 a year. all told i did not spend more than $250 for a very cool bike!it has a drive shaft ..so i am going to make a 3 wheeler out of it. that will cost another $150....wow! gas...you need to look real hard to beat abike for gas milage.
and please!!!! do not say you are to old ,or you are a girl. i know grandmoms who drive harleys! :dance:
I am not opposed to a motorcycle but I can't carry the grandkids on one, and I have to show up for work professionally dressed and dry.

Hubby and I have been looking at trikes but haven't found one in our price range. We haven't found the good deal like you did. They are very popular here but no one wants to sell cheaply.

Well, I made my decision.

I bought a 1995 Jeep Cherokee.

Thanks for all your input. :)

Reba..

Save your money expense avoid gas..
how's 'bout...
action-man-jeep.jpg

Perfect solution for you...
:rofl:

Back