Help me find a car

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can you help me find the right kind of car?

I had a Durango. I loved my SUV but the mpg were bad. I need something small for my daily commute but big enough to sometimes carry four passengers. I should get something 2-4 years used, less than 100,000 miles.

My first choice was Jeep Liberty but the mpg rating is bad. :(

I checked Consumers Report, and they showed that the listed EPA ratings on cars' stickers are not accurate. The estimates are much higher than the actual mileage. So I can't trust the posted mpg's.

I prefer a "tall" car because we frequently have flooded streets but I don't know if that is possible.

I don't need super mpg; maybe 20 city.

Any suggestions?

If you want better gas mileage, smaller and lighter with smaller engine is the only way you can go. A smaller SUV with a 4 cylinder engine usually can get 20-25 mpg average. There is no such thing as a tall car unless u add bigger tires and raise it. A SUV, tall van or a truck can go thru flooded streets no problem, depending how deep the flood u're talking about.

I drove a Nissan for many years, started with brand new. They get very good gas milage. Now I drive a Subaru Forester which get's 28 mpg. You might have to give up your "romantic" ideas of a car if you want to save money on gas.

I have heard good things about the Ford Focus. Perhaps you would be happier with a pickup truck? One of the smaller ones? You could get a 4-door and put a canopy on it for when you haul groceries and stuff.

Lantana said:
I have heard good things about the Ford Focus. Perhaps you would be happier with a pickup truck? One of the smaller ones? You could get a 4-door and put a canopy on it for when you haul groceries and stuff.

Noooo, I've been told too MANY bad stuff on the Ford Focus models. Nasty stuff I tell you, yet they still sell them to the public!

That is true! they have enough share of problems!

Hondas, and Toyota is one of most realiable vehicles and usually gets one of best MPG.

How about VW diesel? They usually gets better mileage, and that diesel is now cheaper than gas! You could get 50 to 65MPG on diesel. MPG depends on either type of diesel engine (Regular or Turbo). Turbo uses more diesel than regular, but gives you little more power. Don't expect that VW diesel to have power! It does have torque but not much HP (Approx 70HP).

For me Im sticking with my pu truck. Right now, I just discovered what the real problem is... It's engine is shot! Now in process of getting new engine thrown in. I was somewhat in rush to get this done because my pu truck gets better mileage than my jeep cherokee!

Banjo said:
Noooo, I've been told too MANY bad stuff on the Ford Focus models. Nasty stuff I tell you, yet they still sell them to the public!

sequoias said:
If you want better gas mileage, smaller and lighter with smaller engine is the only way you can go. A smaller SUV with a 4 cylinder engine usually can get 20-25 mpg average. There is no such thing as a tall car unless u add bigger tires and raise it. A SUV, tall van or a truck can go thru flooded streets no problem, depending how deep the flood u're talking about.
"Tall" I meant like an SUV. That is why I liked my Durango. I could drive thru the puddles without flooding the engine. I used to have a Chrysler LeBaron GTS, and the flooded streets and parking lots were a big problem for it. That is why I don't want a "short" car, meaning low-profile.

Yes, small SUV was my first choice. I have been researching small SUVs but their mpg was disappointing. The Liberty diesel gets only 11 mpg! That's worse than my Durango (14 mpg)!

Wait! Liberty diesel? They get only 11 MPG??? NO WAY! Ofc I love SUV and my Cherokee average 18 miles to gallon. Not too bad for 4 wheel drive. I do not know about 2 wheel drive models. Maybe there is 2 wheel drive model with smaller engine. I don't know. Anyway, personally I prefer Cherokee Sport than Liberty! Its been somewhat disappointing that Jeep decided to quit Cherokee and rediesign to Liberty. BUT I love the way they do on commercials for that Liberty! (Volcano explosion0

Reba said:
"Tall" I meant like an SUV. That is why I liked my Durango. I could drive thru the puddles without flooding the engine. I used to have a Chrysler LeBaron GTS, and the flooded streets and parking lots were a big problem for it. That is why I don't want a "short" car, meaning low-profile.

Yes, small SUV was my first choice. I have been researching small SUVs but their mpg was disappointing. The Liberty diesel gets only 11 mpg! That's worse than my Durango (14 mpg)!

Toyota Rav4>small SUV
midsedan>VW jetta TCI with diesel or
Toyota Corolla unl. gas, I know of

Lantana said:
I drove a Nissan for many years, started with brand new. They get very good gas milage.
The Nissans last long too, right? My son-in-law has a Nissan Pathfinder with over 200,000 miles, and he loves it.

Now I drive a Subaru Forester which get's 28 mpg.
That's very good mpg. Is that mostly driving city, highway, or a mix?

You might have to give up your "romantic" ideas of a car if you want to save money on gas.
"Romantic"?

... Perhaps you would be happier with a pickup truck?
I used to have a 1998 Dodge Dakota, midsize, with the extended cab, and a solid cargo bed cover. It was great! But the seating got too tight as the grands got bigger, so we sold that.

diehardbiker65 said:
Wait! Liberty diesel? They get only 11 MPG??? NO WAY!
I was shocked too. But that is what Consumer Reports says (p. 20, Oct 2005). I am still investigating that. It seemed weird to me.

Dang! I would love to buy that one! Did it get long bed or just famous short bed which I hate?

Reba said:
I used to have a 1998 Dodge Dakota, midsize, with the extended cab, and a solid cargo bed cover. It was great! But the seating got too tight as the grands got bigger, so we sold that.

More like misprinted. I have never heard of any diesel this size going for only 11 MPG. They usually gives at least 20 MPG. Bus is different story, and that 18 wheelers usually gets at least 30 miles per gallon on the highway and about 8 in the city.

Reba said:
I was shocked too. But that is what Consumer Reports says (p. 20, Oct 2005). I am still investigating that. It seemed weird to me.

diehardbiker65 said:
...How about VW diesel? They usually gets better mileage, and that diesel is now cheaper than gas! You could get 50 to 65MPG on diesel. MPG depends on either type of diesel engine (Regular or Turbo). Turbo uses more diesel than regular, but gives you little more power. Don't expect that VW diesel to have power! It does have torque but not much HP (Approx 70HP).
My first car was a 1968 VW Beetle convertible. :) It was a fun car.

I did consider the VW, but I heard that the new VWs don't have good reliability. A couple people I know have them, and they have all kinds of mechanical problems. I don't know about the diesel, but the regular (manual) VW gets 18/29 mpg. Another shock! I expected better mpg.

Thank you all for your input. You have all given me some good ideas. I am still researching.

I have another part to my original question. Do you know the actual mpg that your vehicles get? (Not the posted mgp.) I would like to know real mpg's because I don't trust the stickers on the cars.

diehardbiker65 said:
Dang! I would love to buy that one! Did it get long bed or just famous short bed which I hate?
We had the short bed (6 ft) because we needed the extended seating area for the boys and other passengers.

It was very pretty. It was "Intense Blue", and the cover was custom matched.

By "romantic", I meant the "cool look" that so many young people crave. Sometimes you need to sacrifice your "cool look" for something with more common sense.

Yes, my Subaru Forester get's 28, we are mostly on trips longer than 20 miles away. We live in a small town and have to travel a little bit to buy groceries, Costco, etc. I buy all my gas at Costco. Our Forester has leather, heated seats and a huge sunroof!

About the Ford Focus, I know that many rental agencies use them and I have a relative with one. Personally, I am afraid of Ford products, but my husband has a Ford 350 PU and it has been okay.

If I were young, and had the choice, I would choose a Toyota or a Honda. Yes, Nissans last a very long time! I traded my Nissan Pulsar in on a brand new Subaru quite a few years ago. This is our 2nd Forester.

My husband also has a 1980 Corvette that he treats like a baby! White with cherry red interior.

diehardbiker65 said:
More like misprinted. I have never heard of any diesel this size going for only 11 MPG. They usually gives at least 20 MPG. Bus is different story, and that 18 wheelers usually gets at least 30 miles per gallon on the highway and about 8 in the city.
Not a misprint. The article was "Fuel Economy--Why Your're Not Getting the MPG You Expect". The paragraph above the chart said:
"The biggest gaps between claimed and actual miles per gallon are in city driving. That's because the federal test protocol is far afield of how people really drive. For the vehicles listed below, the shortfall was 35 to 50 percent of claimed mpg."

Here are some of the listings:
Vehicle--------EPAmpg------CRmpg------EPA shortfall
Jeep Liberty.......22...............11...............50%
Honda Civic.......48................26...............46%
Ford Focus........26................17...............35%

Lantana said:
...My husband also has a 1980 Corvette that he treats like a baby! White with cherry red interior.
Now, THAT'S a "romantic" car! ;)

Your right about 98 and later models. They aren't what they were known for. Reason: VW outsourced their labor to Mexico from Germany! These inept mexicans don't do well on these assemly lines.
Sad, isn't it?

Reba said:
My first car was a 1968 VW Beetle convertible. :) It was a fun car.

I did consider the VW, but I heard that the new VWs don't have good reliability. A couple people I know have them, and they have all kinds of mechanical problems. I don't know about the diesel, but the regular (manual) VW gets 18/29 mpg. Another shock! I expected better mpg.

How about a Honda CRV? It is technically a truck but seats 5 with space in the rear for groceries, etc. Not sure about it's mileage but I bet it's not bad.

Back