Help buy a laptop

Soonersseth

Reaction score
I want to buy a lap top the problem is I drop things easily so should I buy a rugged laptop by http://www.itronix.com/ or just get a dell or something with a hard cary case ? any other ideas ?

ok , forget toughbooks, you dont really need it, its hyped becuase it has ultra-expensive magnesium case which is OK for army use or construction sites works- that's about it.

forget alienwares, reliability is a real issue, dunno about sagers, or whatnots
my mate who had an Alienware lappy, top-end model, it sported a 3.2 ghz P4 with 2gb ram and 6800/256mb Go graphics card, dvd, the lot, it was the elite, and it was riddled with breakdowns and indians over the atlantic aren't helpful to him. My mate was a respected technician in a large university so he knows what hes talking about.
He now got an HP, a high-end HP lappy , very happy, at half the price same performance only slighty slightly slower , piss-all difference, actually you wouoldnt notice
Dell bought out Alienware, so forget them too

just get a high-end HP, you wont be bummed

Im saving up for one myself, i was a hard-core gamer, I got kinda sick of lugging it around to LANs , so selling up my overclocked desktop moving to mobile computing.

mine's wasnt a slooch either, i dont care about conroes or whatever just get either Sager or HP, but stay hell away from Alienware or Dell (even their XPS mobile look impressive , im kinda still leery of its reliability)

also, try get lappys with dual cores, at least a spec that can run Vista next year, but DON'T get it straight away, wait 6 months or so for the second generation (or a service pack to be released to iron out the bugs......)

best of luck in mobile computing
cheers

Last edited:
Hmmm, I just bought AMD Turion64x2. The speed is champ! With whopping 2 gig RAM! And that the bus is doing 1600mhz. This nice lappy is more than I wanted but for the price, I couldn't resist. OFC, it got wireless network built in, and everything in it. Yup, it is Vista ready, I dunno if I wanted Vista or not.

030321_GoBook.jpg

gizmos
The War Machine
The military's laptop of choice provokes shock and awe.
By Paul Boutin
Posted Friday, March 21, 2003, at 5:38 PM ET

Just as Desert Storm boosted the sales of Hummers and GPS handhelds, Gulf War II will spawn its own crossover hits, pieces of military equipment that become civilian fetish objects. A prediction: One of the war's big winners will be Itronix's GoBook MAX, a sort of Windows laptop on steroids. The GoBook MAX has already been spotted in video from the front, and Air Force firemen deployed in Turkey have them. If Gulf War II is the first Internet war, then a computer should be its first piece of military chic.

No wider than an entry-level ThinkPad but much thicker and heftier, the $4,500 GoBook MAX is a waterproof, vaporproof, shockproof piece of field equipment. "We drop each one 54 times from one meter, bake it in an oven, chill it in a freezer, vibrate it, and submit it to a shower of hurricane proportions," crows the GoBook's brochure. Unlike most laptop makers, Itronix specializes in handheld gadgets for hardhats, not wussy desktop PCs. The GoBook MAX is designed for civilian emergency-response teams as well as soldiers in the field. In my hands-on tests, it easily survived a few tosses across the floor of a local Starbucks—plus a spill of my third double espresso onto its keyboard. Its rubber-gripped handle makes it feel like sports gear rather than fragile electronics.

Itronix says the MAX is big among FBI bomb squads and NYPD anti-terrorist units. For government buyers, the MAX comes bundled with a restricted software package called CoBRA (or Chemical Biological Response Aide), a search engine that can identify some 60,000 chemical agents, plus a few dozen biological threats. Select the symptoms of victims at a disaster scene, and CoBRA will tell you how long you have before your hazmat suit craps out.

For civilians, the MAX offers features to rival new Centrino-powered laptops. Its 700 MHz CPU isn't the fastest, but built-in Cisco Wi-Fi and a heavy-duty antenna are available as factory options. Dual USB jacks and a PCMCIA slot, protected by sturdy latches, are standard. CoBRA sales reps claim eight hours of work time from one charge to its heavy-duty (and just plain heavy) battery. Chem-bio response teams can't take off lunch to recharge.

But the company's roughneck and military clientele belies its much larger potential market: professional parents. Finally, a laptop worthy of the term "toddler-proof." No disastrous crashes to the kitchen floor. No months of data lost to an incident with the sippy cup. Hazardous materials? Toss it in the dishwasher. Need to get out of the house? The handle flips back to mount the MAX open across the wheel of an SUV for mobile use. There's even an add-on DVD drive for movies.

With the amount of money office workers spend on their cars alone, a couple thousand dollars more for a droppable, dishwasher-safe laptop is a no-brainer bargain in total cost of ownership. The GoBook MAX gives new meaning to the phrase "homeland security."

Paul Boutin is a Silicon Valley-based writer who also contributes to Business Week, Wired, and Engadget.

Article URL: http://www.slate.com/id/2080546/
Copyright 2006 Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactive Co. LLC

Soonersseth said:
I want to buy a lap top the problem is I drop things easily so should I buy a rugged laptop by http://www.itronix.com/ or just get a dell or something with a hard cary case ? any other ideas ?
Here's an idea bro... don't drop stuff. That' could be an expensive mistake. Maybe there is a laptop that has an air bag that would deploy if it's dropped. :dunno: Seriously, good luck and I know there are some what they call "hardened" systems out there that are designed for shop floors and stuff like that. The problem there is that some of them are big and heavy which is against the reasons most folks buy laptops. They are also very expensive.

Good luck to ya!!

Soonersseth said:

I suppose it really depends on what you're planning on using it for. Just like with any other question on purchasing a computer, how you use it determins what kind you will need or want. Unless, you have some god awful crazy job or youre just incredibly clumsy, I wouldnt see the benifit of having one of the extra tough laptops. I have a little mini laptop a dell 700m I have dropped it on my hardwoord floors, stepped on it when it was on my bedroom floor, tugged it around with no case in my back pack and its still doing fine.

Maybe go for the regular computer, but get an extended warranty, dell offers special warranties that cover it even if you drop it or you cause the damage to it.

rockdrummer said:
Here's an idea bro... don't drop stuff. That' could be an expensive mistake. Maybe there is a laptop that has an air bag that would deploy if it's dropped. :dunno: Seriously, good luck and I know there are some what they call "hardened" systems out there that are designed for shop floors and stuff like that. The problem there is that some of them are big and heavy which is against the reasons most folks buy laptops. They are also very expensive.

Good luck to ya!!

thats the plan bro but shit happens

Same here, too!
[
QUOTE=Soonersseth]thanks all i just need it for school and internet im not a gamer lol.[/QUOTE]

Well, majority of computers nowadays are made in china! So, you would find limited higher ended PC that is made outside of China.

webexplorer said:
You could buy a computer that made in China. That would be cheap for you to buy.

Your Mom said:
I suppose it really depends on what you're planning on using it for. Just like with any other question on purchasing a computer, how you use it determins what kind you will need or want. Unless, you have some god awful crazy job or youre just incredibly clumsy, I wouldnt see the benifit of having one of the extra tough laptops. I have a little mini laptop a dell 700m I have dropped it on my hardwoord floors, stepped on it when it was on my bedroom floor, tugged it around with no case in my back pack and its still doing fine.

Maybe go for the regular computer, but get an extended warranty, dell offers special warranties that cover it even if you drop it or you cause the damage to it.
The truth is, nowadays most anything you get will meet the objectives of someone in school. I would just make sure to include an office suite of applications such as Microsoft Office. You can always add applications if needed. Get something that's within your budget. There are a lot of offerings out there now. I would look at Dell, HP, Gateway. I think they are running some good speicals now.

rockdrummer said:
The truth is, nowadays most anything you get will meet the objectives of someone in school. I would just make sure to include an office suite of applications such as Microsoft Office. You can always add applications if needed. Get something that's within your budget. There are a lot of offerings out there now. I would look at Dell, HP, Gateway. I think they are running some good speicals now.

Dell? OUch. I wonder if you read other thread about fire?

Another problem.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1867.html

webexplorer said:
You could buy a computer that made in China. That would be cheap for you to buy.

Did you know that Apple hardware made in China?

DHB is correct about PC hardware too.

Neo said:
Dell? OUch. I wonder if you read other thread about fire?Another problem.
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1867.html
Yeah, I saw about the laptop that caught fire. It was an isolated incident and I am curious to know if they found out what caused that. Did the user spill water over his power supply?.. Who knows? Even if it was a defect, I wouln't let one single incident sway my decision. Dell has had a good track record and our company uses some of their systems in a production environment as high end servers. As far as the other link you provided, yes there are dis-satisfied customers but you will also see very satisfied customers. I am not promoting Dell here but simply stating that you could have a positive or negative experience no matter which vender you decide to go with. It happens all of the time. I use to be a big fan of Gateway laptops because their customer support was awsome. Then it got real bad. Now it may be better again. I don't know because I have not used them in a while. Another example is Sony computers. Great products but good luck if you ever need support. That statement is from an experience I had several years agon and perhaps now they are better. The good news is that these manufactruers are interested in improving themselves in terms of customer service and support so hopefully it gets better for those that are not doing such a good job. That's why it's important for people to fill out those surveys they get on customer support feedback. Stick with one of the top players and stay away from the no-name brands. Those no-name companies pop up and dissapear all the time. Just my opinion.

Back