HELP!!! 8 months old baby wont sleep!

I'm the polar opposite of Mrs. Bucket. I say the hell with scheduling---go with the flow. If the baby falls asleep at 10:00. so be it---it's only temporary. Never worry about creating " a too clingy toddler" --- that's all bullshit. If the kid needs attention as a baby, give it freely. Kick him out when he's 21 if you want, for sure. But right now, give him everything without hesitation. As for doctors, they know less than you do, so their assurances are meaningless. But if the baby seems to be in that much discomfort, seriously consider changing formula---unless you're breastfeeding.

I say the hell with scheduling---go with the flow. If the baby falls asleep at 10:00. so be it---it's only temporary. Never worry about creating " a too clingy toddler" --- that's all bullshit. If the kid needs attention as a baby, give it freely. Kick him out when he's 21 if you want, for sure. But right now, give him everything without hesitation. As for doctors, they know less than you do, so their assurances are meaningless. But if the baby seems to be in that much discomfort, seriously consider changing formula---unless you're breastfeeding.

1):giggle: I am with you about the bold ones.
2)i agree that the mommies know more about babies than the doctors.
3) always always follow your instinct. mom knows better!

My son constantly fussed about everything that it was bothering his tummy. Every time I fed him, and few minutes later, he threw up a lot. God it was the nightmare, I tried a few different of formulas to see if my son liked it or not. He was unhappy with Enfamil nutramigen lipil, and others. I had been researching on what kind of foruma, thanks to google until I found the right kind of formula that i have never seen my son's personality from bitter personality to bubble personality. :eek3: He is a happy camper when he hits 7 months once i found the right formula for him. It's lacetose free formula. I finally return to my beauty sleep after 7 months!!! My son seems to like similiac than any other brands.

good luck.

Last edited:
I'm the polar opposite of Mrs. Bucket. I say the hell with scheduling---go with the flow. If the baby falls asleep at 10:00. so be it---it's only temporary. Never worry about creating " a too clingy toddler" --- that's all bullshit. If the kid needs attention as a baby, give it freely. Kick him out when he's 21 if you want, for sure. But right now, give him everything without hesitation. As for doctors, they know less than you do, so their assurances are meaningless. But if the baby seems to be in that much discomfort, seriously consider changing formula---unless you're breastfeeding.

Excuse me what are you trying to do with a child. Sound like you know nothing about havent a baby or children. I have a son and I kept him on schedules and it works very well. A child or baby who are kept on schedule tend to be a good example for a child once they get older they would understand that keeping the schedule is a good thing.

Out of curiousity, anyone of you must wake up baby or put baby back to sleep by following the exaclt schedule as a routine forcibly?

Out of curiousity, anyone of you must wake up baby or put baby back to sleep by following the exaclt schedule as a routine forcibly?

If you allow your infant sleep in more than 4 hours without waking up, basically you are allowing your infant take control. You're allowing your infant control the situation when you as a mother need to take control of everything and situations.

Babies will scream, shriek and throw temper tantrums when they have slept more than 6 hours in the daytime. IMHO, that is too much sleep. You need to wake them up and change their diapers, feed them. At nighttime, it is a different story. They need their rest.

It is a good idea to start from babyhood and teach about "schedule" otherwise you'd teaching your baby that it is ok to be over-clingy.

For me, when I watched my niece and nephews, I let them cry out their temper tantrums. I don't cuddle & soothe them. Sometimes toddlers need to cry, scream and kick their temper tantrums out then they will come to me and ask for comfort.

This is how toddlers learn they cannot have everything their way. Of course, not everyone agrees the same. I do things the old-fashioned way.

I see what you are saying about the control part. maybe i didnt make a clear quesiton. Like for example, when you feed baby, and baby fall asleep that does not meet your schedule time and keep baby up until the schedule time arrives, then let baby sleep. if baby sleep did pass what the schedule time is supposed to be, like 15 minutes late then parent gets freak out then wake baby up, like totally strictly following the schedule time. that's what i mean.

I understand that infants need more sleep hours than toddlers's. For infants sleep from naps takes about 7 hours during the day, than toddlers sleep from naps takes about 2 hours. Just use common sense to adjust to meet babies' needs such as, feeding time, changing diapers and sleep hours.

***But for this thread, her son constantly cry, apparently something that bothers him, possible relating with his tummy upset. Hope he's feeling better somehow.

yes i do that if he takes a nap in the evening i do not want him to be awake any later than 10 pm LOL. for your information for everyone.. schedule works WONDERS! wow!!!!!!!! my baby is back to his happy bubbly old self once i do that and i didnt bother with transfering him to new formula... i will be weaning him off forumla in 3 months so no problem there... i can deal with buying the same formula he likes . i much perfer to have a happy baby and i will not change anything unless he change it first.

he sleeps through the night except when hes teething or sick. so now yes i do keep strict schedule cuz it truly does work for my son. i dont know if it will work with any of my future kids but it certainly does for this one :)

there will be few changes in few months... he will change from crib to toddler bed and change from formula to a milk (with dr permission ofc.. dont want to damage anything if hes not ready) and will move bedtime a hour back again for him.. also will put in more solid food too... so i got a feeling ill have hard time in short future lol. now that i know what to do i will handle it much better (i hope!)

by the way he goes sleep at 9 pm and wakes up at 8 am but sometime earlier than that but doesnt cry till around 8 am (i suspect he wakes up earlier than 8 am and just playing with his small toys and talks to himself for a good bit before baby monitor finally alerts me that he wants out lol) when he turn into 1 year old that will be when i start making some changes one at a time... starting with bedtime. reason for that is he WILL spent his energy a lot once he starts to walk...(hes already working on that and walks a lot with help and can stand on his own for few seconds so anytime now he will walk on his own heh.. oi boy!) so that also means it will be harder to put him to naps since he realize he can get around he WILL want to get around lol so i change his bedtime to 8 pm. if that doesnt work then ill find another way but thats my plan for now... we will see if that works or not :)

If you allow your infant sleep in more than 4 hours without waking up, basically you are allowing your infant take control. You're allowing your infant control the situation when you as a mother need to take control of everything and situations.

Babies will scream, shriek and throw temper tantrums when they have slept more than 6 hours in the daytime. IMHO, that is too much sleep. You need to wake them up and change their diapers, feed them. At nighttime, it is a different story. They need their rest.

It is a good idea to start from babyhood and teach about "schedule" otherwise you'd teaching your baby that it is ok to be over-clingy.

For me, when I watched my niece and nephews, I let them cry out their temper tantrums. I don't cuddle & soothe them. Sometimes toddlers need to cry, scream and kick their temper tantrums out then they will come to me and ask for comfort.

This is how toddlers learn they cannot have everything their way. Of course, not everyone agrees the same. I do things the old-fashioned way.

my point of view is pretty much same as you only difference is that i do not know WHEN to be like that or not... xavier is only a baby. but if he is like 4 years old and threw temper tantrums simply cuz he cannot have a piece of candy before his supper... i will send him to his room and tell him not to come out till hes done with crying. it worked with me when my mom did same thing and it worked for my niece and nephew. so i will try that same routine for my kid too.

xavier knows what "no" means and also he knows what "yes" means. his reactions to those is pretty clear lol. when he looks at me while reaching to one of his toy... i always say yes u can have that... he would smile widely and went ahead to play with it. but when he try to reach for my cellphone or tv remote... i would say no sweetie that is not for you.. he would cry for a bit lol. really cute but i know it is a bad sign cuz when hes older he most likely will throw temper tantrums just cuz i said no... and another thing he likes to test me lol. he would try to reach again and again and again and i would be patiently saying no... when he gives up he just cries. if i move that item out of reach and went out of room for a min then come back i will see him stop crying but when he looks at me he would immediately cries lol... it showed that hes mad at me. i thought that was pretty funny but same time i know that has to be corrected pretty soon lol.

i have a book.. it is very interesting and kinda old i think but i got lot of insight from that... its called "HOW TO DISCIPLINE WITH LOVE (from crib to college)" wrote by dr. fitzhugh dodson. now i dont agree with everything he wrote but it helped me understand better and i really need to learn how to not have my kid to behave badly just to get my attention. kids wants to please their parents badly but if they got no reaction on positive things they will turn to negative things and naturally that will get parents' attention. since my own parents reacted to negative things but not much on positive things... i need to train myself first ya know? maybe u guys can check that book out or have any better books for me to read?

I see what you are saying about the control part. maybe i didnt make a clear quesiton. Like for example, when you feed baby, and baby fall asleep that does not meet your schedule time and keep baby up until the schedule time arrives, then let baby sleep. if baby sleep did pass what the schedule time is supposed to be, like 15 minutes late then parent gets freak out then wake baby up, like totally strictly following the schedule time. that's what i mean.

I understand that infants need more sleep hours than toddlers's. For infants sleep from naps takes about 7 hours during the day, than toddlers sleep from naps takes about 2 hours. Just use common sense to adjust to meet babies' needs such as, feeding time, changing diapers and sleep hours.

***But for this thread, her son constantly cry, apparently something that bothers him, possible relating with his tummy upset. Hope he's feeling better somehow.

In that case it is ok. It not 100 percent kept on schedule but just do your best to keep the baby on schedule. Sometimes there other thing that interfere the schedule but that is ok like dr appt or run errand. Still get back on schedule and the baby will get the habit into the schedule once you set it up. While the baby grow and less sleep during the day and sleep longer at nite just change the schedule just a bit to adjust their habit getting into the routine.

Back