Hello from Connecticut!

sheila022

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Sheila and I currently reside in Southeastern Connecticut, and a college student in Cambridge, Massachusetts. I've been diagnosed with bilateral deafness since I was born and implanted since 3 years old. I really don't know too much ASL, so I've pretty much been oral for my whole life. I had special education classes with other students since I was in elementary school but went completely mainstream when I was in 3rd grade. It seems like Alldeaf.com is one of the largest forum for deaf people? :)

ah it's about time you made this introduction thread :wave:

From your post in other thread - you said you used to live in northern NJ. where?

ah it's about time you made this introduction thread :wave:

From your post in other thread - you said you used to live in northern NJ. where?

Hullo Jiro! :)

I used to live in Florham Park...if you don't know where that is...then it is very near to East Hanover (I used to attend Hanover Park High School).

How about you?

Hullo Jiro! :)

I used to live in Florham Park...if you don't know where that is...then it is very near to East Hanover (I used to attend Hanover Park High School).

How about you?

ah yes. I've passed by several times but never explored around. I live up north - close to GWB.

Did you graduate from CT high school?

ah yes. I've passed by several times but never explored around. I live up north - close to GWB.

Did you graduate from CT high school?

Yep! I went to NJ HS for the first two years, then moved to CT and then graduated from CT high school. Thank god that I am no longer in high school. :)

Yep! I went to NJ HS for the first two years, then moved to CT and then graduated from CT high school. Thank god that I am no longer in high school. :)

ah that explains your higher chance of getting into MIT.

the standard of CT high schools' education system is pretty high. My friend moved from CT to NJ and transferred to my high school in... I believe junior or senior grade. He took over the valedictorian spot by a mile. He's a grad student at MIT now. It was quite upsetting for my good friends who were in top 2 lol.

ah that explains your higher chance of getting into MIT.

the standard of CT high schools' education system is pretty high. My friend moved from CT to NJ and transferred to my high school in... I believe junior or senior grade. He took over the valedictorian spot by a mile. He's a grad student at MIT now. It was quite upsetting for my good friends who were in top 2 lol.

Haha, it's actually the opposite. My high school in NJ is one of the top 100 in NJ and a lot of pretty good people...and when I transferred, my classes and homework became much easier than those in NJ...and not only that, I had less stiff competition against my classmates in CT, but I still had to study to impress teachers and further my ambitions. :)

Another secret: I didn't rank number one or anything like that. When I applied to MIT, I was ranked 16 out of 250 (because of scaled grades or whatever from NJ to CT)....but I believe I could have got into MIT from anywhere and nearly any high school. :)

Haha, it's actually the opposite. My high school in NJ is one of the top 100 in NJ and a lot of pretty good people...and when I transferred, my classes and homework became much easier than those in NJ...and not only that, I had less stiff competition against my classmates in CT, but I still had to study to impress teachers and further my ambitions. :)

Another secret: I didn't rank number one or anything like that. When I applied to MIT, I was ranked 16 out of 250 (because of scaled grades or whatever from NJ to CT)....

:laugh2:

Pretty much depends on where in NJ/CT for high school. I don't know where in CT my friend moved from but I'll assume that his high school ranks pretty high.

oh btw - sorry to inform you that my high school ranks way higher than yours :nana: I'm pretty sure you've heard of NVOT.

but I believe I could have got into MIT from anywhere and nearly any high school. :)
true but... the likelihood is different. secretly.... ssshhh

:laugh2:

Pretty much depends on where in NJ/CT for high school. I don't know where in CT my friend moved from but I'll assume that his high school ranks pretty high.

oh btw - sorry to inform you that my high school ranks way higher than yours :nana: I'm pretty sure you've heard of NVOT.

Haha, most likely, he came from the Fairfields area....reputation for the best schools in CT. I just went to a CT HS in the middle of no where.

And shut up, I'm sure I can beat your sorry ass in any high school if we went to same high school. :giggle::giggle::giggle::laugh2:

Haha, most likely, he came from the Fairfields area....reputation for the best schools in CT. I just went to a CT HS in the middle of no where.
Fairfields... :hmm: I'll have to ask him when I see him in Boston.

And shut up, I'm sure I can beat your sorry ass in any high school if we went to same high school. :giggle::giggle::giggle::laugh2:
I don't dispute that. I was a lazy underachiever :zzz: I ranked in middle - B-average. My SAT score was abysmal. :lol:

My HS counselor and parents were very worried about my future that I won't get into good schools or have a shot at all so they suggested me to apply to bunch of "safety" schools. and the funny thing was... I got accepted into most of good schools but rejected from safety schools :dunno:

Fairfields... :hmm: I'll have to ask him when I see him in Boston.

I don't dispute that. I was a lazy underachiever :zzz: I ranked in middle - B-average. My SAT score was abysmal. :lol:

My HS counselor and parents were very worried about my future that I won't get into good schools or have a shot at all so they suggested me to apply to bunch of "safety" schools. and the funny thing was... I got accepted into most of good schools but rejected from safety schools :dunno:

Ooo. Well, there's stories of how people got into good schools but rejected from safety schools. I'm glad you made it into RU :)

Just wondering, how often do you go up to Boston? I'm actually taking the semester off for now, but I'll return next year.

Ooo. Well, there's stories of how people got into good schools but rejected from safety schools. I'm glad you made it into RU :)

Just wondering, how often do you go up to Boston? I'm actually taking the semester off for now, but I'll return next year.

I went to VT. and then RU.

oh forgot to answer your question. I used to go to Boston several times a year while I was in college to party but now.... well - most of my friends have graduated and moved somewhere else. But I am going to Salem and Boston with my friends in October :)

what's up with you taking a semester off? Stressful there?

oh forgot to answer your question. I used to go to Boston several times a year while I was in college to party but now.... well - most of my friends have graduated and moved somewhere else. But I am going to Salem and Boston with my friends in October :)

what's up with you taking a semester off? Stressful there?

Ooo dang. well, if you come up to Boston next year, let me know :)

I took time off because I have no funds to return to MIT, and yes, recover academically....man, I wish colleges wasn't so expensive. =/

I'm looking into jobs in Boston or southern Florida...especially in consulting or business since those tend to pay their interns very well, compared to working in science labs.

Back