Hello from a soldier Afganistan

ligsirhc

Reaction score
Brand new to this website. Dont know where to start. Im not deaf or hard of hearing, although I might be after Im done with the army (work on helicopters), but I picked an interest in sign language. Would like to meet new people and hopefully learn the basics of ASL by the end of deployment. Maybe you guys can help out by pointing me the right direction or maybe even practicing online. Like i said im starting from scratch.

you just started with alldeaf for now while you can get to know or get familiar with all of this forum like its your first scratch. :)

welcome.

Hi from Oregon ---

Hey - my son who is hearing, just got back to his base in Germany after being a year where you are. I know what kind of conditions he had, and if you are in similar your internet options are limited. First, do you have a cd/dvd drive available to you (laptop maybe?) If so, message me with your address and I will send you a dvd to get you started, and a book that will give you basic background and info on Deaf culture and other things you are going to need to know. Also, you could see the section on people who want to find others to practice with on this site and use Skype to get your feet wet. Best thing you could do is to find a buddy who wants to practice with you there (you never know when being able to communicate without a voice or hearing will come in handy ...)

I'm just a mom who likes to be prepared for anything! After 5 kids and we have 4 active duty military right now among the kids and spouses -- you guys have a special place in my heart. Be safe!

Blessings,
Cindy Lou
(my addy - I couldn't figure out how to find your address! simpleandenough.oregon@gmail.com)

Not a problem guys. I do enjoy my job although being away from home is one of its drawbacks. Steinhauser thats an awesome website. Krissy you're very pretty just saying. So so far i think ive picked up a couple words and fingerspelling this fewdays although im still very slow at it.

Not a problem guys. I do enjoy my job although being away from home is one of its drawbacks. Steinhauser thats an awesome website. Krissy you're very pretty just saying. So so far i think ive picked up a couple words and fingerspelling this fewdays although im still very slow at it.
Awwww bless you! That's so sweet, thank you :)

Thanks for your service. My husband is retired Air Force. My son-in-law was in the army in Iraq right after the war started. He lost nearly all the hearing in one ear while there.

Kristina put together a fabulous list of resources for learning ASL online. It's here.

Back