Hello everyone im new to alldeaf and new to being Deaf

DizzyDon62

Reaction score
Hello my name is Don I have Bilateral Meniere's Disease since 2002 and in Feb 05 I had a labyrinthectomy done on my right ear to cure the vertigo it was so bad. Three months after that the vertigo started in my left ear amost as bad but as time went on it was almost 24/7 so this past April I had sac decompression surgery. My hearing has not been the greatest with this disease I wore a hearing aid for a yar in my left year but it was not doing much good in the end. April 13 just after the surgery I lost all hearing the only thin I have left in both ears is 24/7 tinnitus I live way out in a small farming town hours from any major cities. With that in mind I am learning lipreading from a set of DVDs I bought and I think im doing well with the aid of finger spelling and the odd note. I have accepted being deaf its who I am I was prepared for this having this disease and I will always be deaf even when I get the CI. My biggest problem is family and friends I go see them and its like hi how are you this must be hard on you and thats it poof im invisible. I feel like im in my own little world being ignored like that ,they say you find out who your friends really are in life well it seem as though im dead to them. Being a hearing person all of my life sure I miss things but its not the end of the world its this god awfull meniere's that has taken the most from me I have not driven a car in 5 yrs and will never again with no vestubular function. I wont be able to swim with out a life jacket because I only have my eyes for balance. This weekend im going to give my daughter a book on how to sign I went out and bought 3 so my girlfriend my daughter and I can learn togeher. I wish I could drive 2 1/2 hrs twice a week for classes but its to much on my girlfriend and im on disability so money is tight to lol. So do any of you get treated like your not there at family or friends get togethers cause they started to treat me that way the last few months while wearing my hearing aid.

Don

Welcome to Alldeaf forum!

I am sorry that you are going through the Bilateral meniere"s disease and deafness. Yes we all went through the stigma of being deaf and how hearing people view us. Us deaf people had a lot of problem with oral and want to have sign language so that we can see much better than lipreading. So enjoy your stay on the AD and have fun with us. I wish you well.

Hi Don!
Definitly stick around........it's great that you're pursuing Sign and stuff. You might however want to look up ALDA (Association of Late Deafened Adults) and whatever Canadian Hoh groups are out there. You might feel a bit lonely/out of place here since most regular posters have been dhh for most of their lives. We do welcome late deafened folks!

Welcome to Alldeaf ! Hope you enjoy this board and God Bless!

hi

Hello my name is Don I have Bilateral Meniere's Disease since 2002 and in Feb 05 I had a labyrinthectomy done on my right ear to cure the vertigo it was so bad. Three months after that the vertigo started in my left ear amost as bad but as time went on it was almost 24/7 so this past April I had sac decompression surgery. My hearing has not been the greatest with this disease I wore a hearing aid for a yar in my left year but it was not doing much good in the end. April 13 just after the surgery I lost all hearing the only thin I have left in both ears is 24/7 tinnitus I live way out in a small farming town hours from any major cities. With that in mind I am learning lipreading from a set of DVDs I bought and I think im doing well with the aid of finger spelling and the odd note. I have accepted being deaf its who I am I was prepared for this having this disease and I will always be deaf even when I get the CI. My biggest problem is family and friends I go see them and its like hi how are you this must be hard on you and thats it poof im invisible. I feel like im in my own little world being ignored like that ,they say you find out who your friends really are in life well it seem as though im dead to them. Being a hearing person all of my life sure I miss things but its not the end of the world its this god awfull meniere's that has taken the most from me I have not driven a car in 5 yrs and will never again with no vestubular function. I wont be able to swim with out a life jacket because I only have my eyes for balance. This weekend im going to give my daughter a book on how to sign I went out and bought 3 so my girlfriend my daughter and I can learn togeher. I wish I could drive 2 1/2 hrs twice a week for classes but its to much on my girlfriend and im on disability so money is tight to lol. So do any of you get treated like your not there at family or friends get togethers cause they started to treat me that way the last few months while wearing my hearing aid.

Don
Welcome to AD...
we are all here to offer support in anyway we can.
God Bless
EsthersCrown*****

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf! Interesting introduction and hope you'll enjoy your stay here as well! :)

:wave:
~RR

Back