Hello Awesome People :)

I don't quite understand what you mean by that... Like encourage the HoH to go to a Deaf school orrr?

Yes.......encourage attendance at deaf school for preschool/kindergarten and early grades,so they get a good foundation for mainstreaming.....also using the Deaf School for middle and high school.....Did you know its not that unusual in Canada for dhh kids (and JUST dhh) to be put in a life skills(intellectucal disailties/classic autistm etc) class for high school?!?!? Kids are falling through the cracks majorly

Yes.......encourage attendance at deaf school for preschool/kindergarten and early grades,so they get a good foundation for mainstreaming.....also using the Deaf School for middle and high school.....Did you know its not that unusual in Canada for dhh kids (and JUST dhh) to be put in a life skills(intellectucal disailties/classic autistm etc) class for high school?!?!? Kids are falling through the cracks majorly

Okay, yes I agree with that! And Yes... Ugh!

Okay, yes I agree with that! And Yes... Ugh!

You did? Yeah.......the people who advocate inclusion/mainstreaming as THE POLICY for educating dhh, seem not to realize that dhh kids aren't automaticly going to get a good education. There are low expecations in the mainstream as well....not to mention the mainstream is too one size fits all,so it's TOO easy for kids to fall through the cracks and or not receive needed services.......Heck...a lot of kids,even though they're not in a mentally handicapped lifeskills class,still get lumped in with Resource Room/special ed kids.....
I do think there needs to be a continum of placements but there also needs to be a system in place to make sure that there's not kneejerk mainstreaming/inclusion.

You did? Yeah.......the people who advocate inclusion/mainstreaming as THE POLICY for educating dhh, seem not to realize that dhh kids aren't automaticly going to get a good education. There are low expecations in the mainstream as well....not to mention the mainstream is too one size fits all,so it's TOO easy for kids to fall through the cracks and or not receive needed services.......Heck...a lot of kids,even though they're not in a mentally handicapped lifeskills class,still get lumped in with Resource Room/special ed kids.....
I do think there needs to be a continum of placements but there also needs to be a system in place to make sure that there's not kneejerk mainstreaming/inclusion.

I was stuck in mainstreaming for my entire school life. I had teacher aides all elementary. Then finally in HS I was like NO I REFUSE TO HAVE A TA! I had to take speech/hearing/visual therapy and use a FM... but my school wanted to put me in Special Ed classes. My parents and I fought hard to say NO! She will be in regular classes, just like everyone else. Was it difficult? Yes. But I just wish the mainstreaming school would accept someone for who they are and not judge them by their disability or challenges. We are still like everyone else, we're just extra special.

You had TAs? Just b/c you're HOH!?!? Wow.........And I was in a mix of classes...mostly academic/average levels except for math and Resource Room /Sped study hall ...I even took Latin and French!

You had TAs? Just b/c you're HOH!?!? Wow.........And I was in a mix of classes...mostly academic/average levels except for math and Resource Room /Sped study hall ...I even took Latin and French!

Pretty much. And nice!
I don't even know how I survived Math... C+ is like an A+ for me. I suck at numbers.

:wave:DoctorStarKidPotter,

I suck at numbers too. I found out in college I have a learning disability. I was in Spec. Ed for speech and language as a child.
I was born very premature.

:wave:DoctorStarKidPotter,

I suck at numbers too. I found out in college I have a learning disability. I was in Spec. Ed for speech and language as a child.
I was born very premature.

I was born a Premie too.
Same here for the learning disability.
I was in Speech through my entire school life, as I mentioned before.
I still have difficulties saying certain things though. Oh well.

I was born a Premie too.
Same here for the learning disability.
I was in Speech through my entire school life, as I mentioned before.
I still have difficulties saying certain things though. Oh well.

Well what's wrong with that? It's painfully obvious that almost no dhh kid can aquire perfect "like hearing" speech through speech therapy.......speech therapy needs to DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Seriously,it's boring,HARD (even if you have HOH hearing) and dhh kids will never ever speak like a hearing person b/c of it.I really do think as part of their training that oral TODs and speech therapists need to put on a pair of earplugs while learning a foriegn language......Then they will understand why we hate speech!

That is wonderful! You will do amazing :) I know you will!
I'm wanting to do one or two years of college here... and then maybe try to go to Gally? I mean I hope they have what I want to do... (I'm sure they do) But it's going to cost a fortune for me to go =/ Oh well, I'll try my best.

It will still be worth it.....what about NTID?

Well what's wrong with that? It's painfully obvious that almost no dhh kid can aquire perfect "like hearing" speech through speech therapy.......speech therapy needs to DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Seriously,it's boring,HARD (even if you have HOH hearing) and dhh kids will never ever speak like a hearing person b/c of it.I really do think as part of their training that oral TODs and speech therapists need to put on a pair of earplugs while learning a foriegn language......Then they will understand why we hate speech!

UGH YES!
I hated going to Speech... I think the only time I actually "liked" it was when I got to ditch a class I hated to take Speech. Other than that, I hated it.
I still sound slightly muffled and unable to pronounce... th/sh/s/ch... etc.

UGH YES!
I hated going to Speech... I think the only time I actually "liked" it was when I got to ditch a class I hated to take Speech. Other than that, I hated it.
I still sound slightly muffled and unable to pronounce... th/sh/s/ch... etc.

I'm also missing the same words here too! (might go back and see if my left ear craps out in the fall ROFL)

Hello and Welcome! There is a forum on this site that is for ASL students wanting to interact over webcam and what not to practice and learn ASL, maybe check that out! =D

Also, ASLPRO.com is an online signing dictionary. Just go on, click a word, and a short video pops up and shows you how to sign it, it's that simple! =D

Good luck to you and welcome again. =D

:jaw: Where's this webcam forum? I neeeeeed to see it!

Back