Hello Awesome People :)

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

My name is Abby, 19 and I am Hard of Hearing.
I had being hard of hearing my entire life and I wear hearing aids in both ears.
I learned ASL in Kindergarten class but that's it. I was suppose to go to a school for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing but never did because my parents wanted me to live a life despite my limitations.
I'd love to learn ASL again and interact with other Deaf / Hard of Hearing people. This is such a wonderful community/culture. I'm so proud to be who I am.

Hello and Welcome! There is a forum on this site that is for ASL students wanting to interact over webcam and what not to practice and learn ASL, maybe check that out! =D

Also, ASLPRO.com is an online signing dictionary. Just go on, click a word, and a short video pops up and shows you how to sign it, it's that simple! =D

Good luck to you and welcome again. =D

Hello Everyone!

My name is Abby, 19 and I am Hard of Hearing.
I had being hard of hearing my entire life and I wear hearing aids in both ears.
I learned ASL in Kindergarten class but that's it. I was suppose to go to a school for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing but never did because my parents wanted me to live a life despite my limitations.
I'd love to learn ASL again and interact with other Deaf / Hard of Hearing people. This is such a wonderful community/culture. I'm so proud to be who I am.

You could go to Gally or Ntid for school maybe...that would be an amazing oppertunity!

and doesn't Bob Rumball in Tronno have an adult summer camp where you learn ASL?

I live on the West side of Canada. I know my College offers ASL but it's not offered at the same time? I think they need a specific amount of people who are wanting to learn it to actually make a class out of it.
I would love to go to Gallaudet University or another one... WHY MUST I LIVE IN CANADA AND SO FAR AWAY? D:
I'm learning ASL online, and I love it.
I keep saying to myself 'Why didn't I learn this sooner? This is making my life so much easier!" I'm so glad I got myself learning.

I live on the West side of Canada. I know my College offers ASL but it's not offered at the same time? I think they need a specific amount of people who are wanting to learn it to actually make a class out of it.
I would love to go to Gallaudet University or another one... WHY MUST I LIVE IN CANADA AND SO FAR AWAY? D:
I keep saying to myself 'Why didn't I learn this sooner? This is making my life so much easier!" I'm so glad I got myself learning.

Hello welcome to Alldeaf

I am Canadian :)

Maybe you could spend a year at Gally or NTID or CSUN....that might be fun....it IS far away, but it would also be the best decision you ever made b/c you sound like you are discovering your Deafness......it would give you the option to become fluent in ASL AND to experiance what it's like to be Deaf!

I am determined to go to one of these schools.
It's kind of sad that my family (who are hearing) doesn't understand why I am wanting to learn ASL so badly or why I'm wanting to go to Gallaudet or another university...
They know I'm HoH, they respected me and the fact that I need certain things to help me on a daily bases. I just wish they understood why I connect to people who are deaf/hard of hearing so easily than people who are hearing. I'm not exclusive at all, I just am able to connect to you guys. If you know what I mean?
(Sorry if I offended anyone, I didn't mean to)

- And I'm horrible at this whole "reply to that person" thing... so sorry there are 2 separate posts.

It's kind of sad that my family (who are hearing) doesn't understand why I am wanting to learn ASL so badly or why I'm wanting to go to Gallaudet or another university...
They know I'm HoH, they respected me and the fact that I need certain things to help me on a daily bases. I just wish they understood why I connect to people who are deaf/hard of hearing so easily than people who are hearing. I'm not exclusive at all, I just am able to connect to you guys. If you know what I mean?

- And I'm horrible at this whole "reply to that person" thing... so sorry there are 2 separate posts.

That's b/c they think HOH=hearing.....and believe me I understand.....I'm HOH too....grew up in the hearing world. Matter of fact when I was little I thought I was the only HOH kid in the world....But I GET what it's like to be Deaf...I connect with my dhh friends in a way I don't with ANY hearing person(and I do have some close hearing people)..Tell them that being HOH is like being biracial or bicultrual....you were raised in the majority culture and now want to explore your other side.....You might want to order and have your family read this book....On the Fence: The Hidden World of the Hard of Hearing by Mark Drolsbaugh Assistive and Hearing Aids Products - Deaf, Hearing Loss, Sign Language

Lots of people have ASL. you goal gallaudet (university) oh i see you sorry you hard family! It is very uneasy. I know my family unsupport ASL. I encourage to my family. some problem difficult. I study ASL research myself on improve.

visual more information learn how best development to ASL goal. I goal ASL improve need to better improve.. I want to see visual ASL (language development) :)

That's b/c they think HOH=hearing.....and believe me I understand.....I'm HOH too....grew up in the hearing world. Matter of fact when I was little I thought I was the only HOH kid in the world....But I GET what it's like to be Deaf...I connect with my dhh friends in a way I don't with ANY hearing person(and I do have some close hearing people)..Tell them that being HOH is like being biracial or bicultrual....you were raised in the majority culture and now want to explore your other side.....You might want to order and have your family read this book....On the Fence: The Hidden World of the Hard of Hearing by Mark Drolsbaugh Assistive and Hearing Aids Products - Deaf, Hearing Loss, Sign Language

Okay so I have no idea if I did this right...
Anyways,
I know what you mean, I thought I was the only HoH person. I was suppose to go to a school for the Deaf and Blind (as I'm partly blind, only in my right eye) but never did. They get the general idea of being deaf but I just wish I knew more deaf/hard of hearing people in my city. I've been surrounded by hearing people that I just wish I could interact with others who have the same as me. (That's why I came here). I'm still going to learn ASL, I don't care what my friends or family say. ASL it's what makes my life so much easier. I mean, I don't mind speaking - I've been doing it my whole entire life. But I get annoyed with it and sometimes wish to communicate in ASL.

I'm hearing and getting my associates with my already recieved certification in ASL interpretation currently in state VA, that'll be done this year. I also really hope to get into Gallaudet, it's only three hours away in DC. I think it'd be cool and a great learning experience to go to a school thats statistically 50% deaf or hoh and 50% hearing. More of my friends these days are deaf already haha.. deaf people are more upfront and honest in a way than hearing. I think ASL makes you get to a clear point quickly. Deaf people seem to be more open about their lives when you first get to know them than hearing people in my humble opinion. Best of luck I hope you get to go to school wherever you most want! I love the language too, I was very speach delayed as a child and they started to teach me some basic signs like "done" "help" "Hungry" "Drink" etc but then one day I sporadically starting speaking in full sentences weirdly enough, I had no other learning problems or the like during my childhood since then at almost 3. :)

I'm hearing and getting my associates with my already recieved certification in ASL interpretation currently in state VA, that'll be done this year. I also really hope to get into Gallaudet, it's only three hours away in DC. I think it'd be cool and a great learning experience to go to a school thats statistically 50% deaf or hoh and 50% hearing. More of my friends these days are deaf already haha.. deaf people are more upfront and honest in a way than hearing. I think ASL makes you get to a clear point quickly. Deaf people seem to be more open about their lives when you first get to know them than hearing people in my humble opinion. Best of luck I hope you get to go to school wherever you most want! I love the language too, I was very speach delayed as a child and they started to teach me some basic signs like "done" "help" "Hungry" "Drink" etc but then one day I sporadically starting speaking in full sentences weirdly enough, I had no other learning problems or the like during my childhood since then at almost 3. :)

That is amazing :) You are very lucky to be so close to Gally! :D It's so true, I come on here and everyone is so nice, and honest.
Same here, I was speech delayed too and had lots of speech therapy during school. I had a Teacher's Aide too... ooh that was fun... I also had a FM System during classes. I remember I had to take my FM system to each class to give to the teacher who was teaching that subject and my binder/books.
I'm determined to go to Gally for even (maybe? hopefully?) ASL camp they have there.
Or at least just find people here who are deaf/hoh...

That is amazing :) You are very lucky to be so close to Gally! :D It's so true, I come on here and everyone is so nice, and honest.
Same here, I was speech delayed too and had lots of speech therapy during school. I had a Teacher's Aide too... ooh that was fun... I also had a FM System during classes. I remember I had to take my FM system to each class to give to the teacher who was teaching that subject and my binder/books.
I'm determined to go to Gally for even (maybe? hopefully?) ASL camp they have there.
Or at least just find people here who are deaf/hoh...

That's what I want to eventually be an ASL interpreter "teachers aid type" to deaf children using asl. I knew a girl in highschool that had one for every class! :) I'm new here too and yes, so far everyone's been awesome! :D I do want to go to Gally so badly but I know they have very high standards for the hearing students they accept and this makes me nervous! All I can do is try my best though! My grades in college for my associates have so far been very good!

Okay so I have no idea if I did this right...
Anyways,
I know what you mean, I thought I was the only HoH person. I was suppose to go to a school for the Deaf and Blind (as I'm partly blind, only in my right eye) but never did. They get the general idea of being deaf but I just wish I knew more deaf/hard of hearing people in my city. I've been surrounded by hearing people that I just wish I could interact with others who have the same as me. (That's why I came here). I'm still going to learn ASL, I don't care what my friends or family say. ASL it's what makes my life so much easier. I mean, I don't mind speaking - I've been doing it my whole entire life. But I get annoyed with it and sometimes wish to communicate in ASL.

I wish they pushed enrollement at Deaf School,for early childhood for HOH kids......

That's what I want to eventually be an ASL interpreter "teachers aid type" to deaf children using asl. I knew a girl in highschool that had one for every class! :) I'm new here too and yes, so far everyone's been awesome! :D I do want to go to Gally so badly but I know they have very high standards for the hearing students they accept and this makes me nervous! All I can do is try my best though! My grades in college for my associates have so far been very good!

That is wonderful! You will do amazing :) I know you will!
I'm wanting to do one or two years of college here... and then maybe try to go to Gally? I mean I hope they have what I want to do... (I'm sure they do) But it's going to cost a fortune for me to go =/ Oh well, I'll try my best.

Back