Hearing pretending to be deaf to avoid conversation?

liuliu

Reaction score
What is deaf people's opinion about hearing people sometimes pretending to be deaf. I want to clarify that I don't mean deaf wannabes or hearing people who are with a deaf person and do this to be polite or something like that. I mean e.g. sign language students who do this once in a while to avoid talking to someone they don't want to talk to. I know that lots of sing language interpreter students from my university have done this sometimes. So what do you think or what does Deaf community in general think (of course there are always different opinions)?

As an explanation to this behavior:
I am a sign language interpreter myself and have also done this couple of times, although not after I graduated. I have done this mostly on a public transport when a drunk usually old man has come to talk to me about something obviously not important. I have signed something like "What?" or "I can't hear". The reason is that I have been tired and haven't felt like talking to anyone, especially to someone that couldn't even form sentence.

Once it was drunk teenagers, but they still tried to communicate with me. I thought it was great and couldn't pretend I was deaf anymore and let them know I was actually hearing. Sometimes my classmates have done this to avoid people hitting on them at bars. Some occasions have also been to learn something about being deaf (e.g. would that random guy still try to hit on me if he thought I was deaf or how would we communicate etc.). But mostly the reason has just been to avoid awkward conversation with random people.

I also know that some deaf people that know how to read lips, also do this. They don't want to have conversation, so they pretend that they don't understand, even though they could read lips.

So what do you think? Is it wrong and is it different whether you are actually deaf or not? Also why? I have been wondering about this for a while and I haven't found answer here or elsewhere online so hopefully this topic hasn't been totally worn out. :)

:squint:

If I could get away with slapping someone and not going to jail for assault... I'd slap a hearing person for pretending to be Deaf... in a heartbeat.... :squint:

Why not try being honest and upfront and tell the person you don't want to have a conversation with them instead of pretending to be Deaf?! Jesus how absolutely ignorant! :mad2: I'll just avoid this and pretend to be Deaf instead of confronting the issue head on like an adult dur dur dur... like we don't have enough of a.... Oh lord Mew let it go and walk away... just walk... away....

If I could get away with slapping someone and not going to jail for assault... I'd slap a hearing person for pretending to be Deaf... in a heartbeat.... :squint:

Why not try being honest and upfront and tell the person you don't want to have a conversation with them instead of pretending to be Deaf?! Jesus how absolutely ignorant! :mad2: I'll just avoid this and pretend to be Deaf instead of confronting the issue head on like an adult dur dur dur... like we don't have enough of a.... Oh lord Mew let it go and walk away... just walk... away....

LOL They can't handle looking bad or owning up to their decisions, so they resort to double meaning reactions. For instance, appearing deaf looks innocent enough, but we know darn well what their intentions are! :roll:

yep i agree, and hell, that is why deaf people are lower than any body, ...lower than blinds (they speak English or national spoken languages, 'disalbed' oftentime confused to be only for wheelchair users..again they speak spoken languages to catch them...other races will and can do for discrimination, but deaf? nope...not a chance, that is bad...very bad...hence is why i am doing sociology...one step at a time, hopefully others like deaf lawyers, politicians take it further.....

groans....sigh....pass back my beer......

Cause I understand that deaf people don't like it since it's dishonest and could give wrong impression about being deaf etc. And that is why I don't do it anymore.
But I was surprised when my deaf co-worker told me that he sometimes does this. He can read lips really well but sometimes pretends that he can't just to avoid conversation with a stranger. Point being that he pretends to be something else, he is not just tired and refusing to read lips (which of course is ok).

So what is the difference?

well -- look at it this way -- We just are just tired of taking a bad rap for being deaf/hoh. what if you got off the bus/train and see your best freind and start talking ... and that person who went up to you earlier is now getting a bad impression on the REST of the deaf population. is that fair?

let me put it this way -- I am sure you have seen all sorts of issues being a terp being in different places and settings. Surely you have a opinion formed by now doesnt matter if it good or bad.

I am sure there are times people are feeling antisocial and we all have been there and we all have our own ways of dealing with it. So I really dont care what you do, but when the times comes and you feel you should speak up to help us deaf/hoh feel free. karma has a way to bite you if you don't.

Cause I understand that deaf people don't like it since it's dishonest and could give wrong impression about being deaf etc. And that is why I don't do it anymore.
But I was surprised when my deaf co-worker told me that he sometimes does this. He can read lips really well but sometimes pretends that he can't just to avoid conversation with a stranger. Point being that he pretends to be something else, he is not just tired and refusing to read lips (which of course is ok).

Well, it is more work to be deaf than it is to be hearing. It is an everyday task for us as people expect us to understand others, lip-read, and speak. It is not an everyday task for you to be hearing. It just comes naturally for you. So I can understand being weary of having to lip-read and not want to participate in a conversation or be social. It doesn't make it right -- heck, there are days I don't feel like conversing, but I usually just say so outright.

When I was hearing and wanted to avoid someone I did. It didn't change when I went deaf. Being deaf does not change my social interactions with strangers, especially if they're drunk.

Well, at least the deaf wannabe admits it. I have to admit, I never thought anyone would covertly try to pass themselves off as deaf while helping the deaf.

Proof I learn something new everyday..

What do I think? Mental Illness comes to mind. What normal person would pose as someone they are not? Not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, eh?

(NOTE TO SELF: Do not be too hard on deaf wannabes anymore)

As soon as I explain that I am deaf, which I am, the conversation gets stopped cold by the other person. Solves my problem when I am in an anti-social mood but when I am in the mood to socialize, it becomes a different problem. I can't win.

You can't pretend not to read lips. It's an act that does not require obvious observation.

Ignoring someone and pretending to be someone else are two totally different things. You are not pretending to be a different person, you are trying not to interact with another human being.

You can't pretend not to read lips. It's an act that does not require obvious observation.

Ignoring someone and pretending to be someone else are two totally different things. You are not pretending to be a different person, you are trying not to interact with another human being.

I did that today in the grocery store, I had my HA turned down b/c I was in a hurry and did not feel like talking to any strangers . A woman started to ask me something a bag for her muffins . I did not feel like reading lips and I just gave her a bag while she kept on talking about whatever. I was not pretending to be HOH and did not feel I had to tell the woman I was . I do not always feel like telling every person I see I am HOH especially when I am not in the mood to talk. I just ran into the store to buy a few items and go back home. No crime in that.

As soon as I explain that I am deaf, which I am, the conversation gets stopped cold by the other person. Solves my problem when I am in an anti-social mood but when I am in the mood to socialize, it becomes a different problem. I can't win.
i know the feeling..... yup

Interesting feedback you got.
I sometimes do it as well. Pretend I can't read lips. But I think that is something very common. My Asian friend does this as well, only she pretends to not speaking German. Or a friend from Italy, he tells people he is a tourist in bad English and that's it.
The more I think about that, the more people I know who do that from time to time. Oh and my husband once avoided a conversation with another Deaf couple pretending not knowing sign.
Personally I think it is absolutely fine to avoid contact from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

LOL They can't handle looking bad or owning up to their decisions, so they resort to double meaning reactions. For instance, appearing deaf looks innocent enough, but we know darn well what their intentions are! :roll:

I feel you there girly. *facepalm*

But how do deaf people justify their similar behavior?

Not all Deaf people behave like that... By saying all or even a decent amount of Deaf people behave like that when you yourself aren't Deaf, you're applying a stereotype to us as a group... like everyone else does all the time.... Thanks for that. :squint: If you think for one second all or even MOST Deaf people intentionally ignore people you just increased my desire to backhand more people to pretend to do this even harder. Did it ever occur that we don't notice people talking to us... because... oh I don't know... WE CAN'T HEAR THEM!? :squint: :mad2: Not all Deaf people can lipread that well ( just because I can, doesn't mean all can ) not all Deaf people can speak clearly so they may be voice off because that's their decision and not all Deaf people want to interact with the hearing population in general because of how they're treated. There are many reasons for the Deaf to not respond... not just the fact they're "ignoring" someone or don't want to talk... Jesus... to insinuate that's what most or even a decent amount do is absolutely terrible. I can't tell you how many times I've been in walmart without my C.I. and been looking around at things ( distracted ) and had the cashier trying to get my attention or something. I wasn't ignoring her! I simply did not notice they were attempting to catch my attention. :squint:

In my opinion, hearing people should NOT pretend that they are deaf to avoid conversing with other people. Hearing people do not go through the crap we go through.

In my opinion, hearing people should NOT pretend that they are deaf to avoid conversing with other people. Hearing people do not go through the crap we go through.

Exxxxxxxxxxxxxxxactly.

Just man up and tell them you don't want to converse... period. Don't twinkle toe around it and pretend to be Deaf... the thought that someone does that just ignites a fire in me that burns me up more than I can describe.... :mad2: I seriously think I would probably ... I don't know.... but good lord it just ... whew, I can't possibly explain anger good lord! :mad2:

Just because you can communicate in ASL does not give you any sort of right to do that... :mad2:

Back