Hearing pretending to be deaf to avoid conversation?

Yeah when people type that they are "profoundly dead" that always makes me laugh

They always assume! Out of curiosity, what do hearing people ask you to sign when they come up to you?

People always ask me how to swear in sign language.
Same here, I always sign 'I want a chocolate milkshake' as sexual as I can with out telling them what it means and walk away. Most people leave me alone after that haha.

One day, me and my hoh co-worker were signing to eachother about how our Boss was such an idiot. Right at that moment, our Boss showed up out of nowhere and asked us: what does that "idiot" sign mean? Without missing a beat, I told him it means "Boss". So, Boss practices the "idiot" sign a few times asking us if he is doing it right, we snicker and say yes, then he walks away, seemingly happy to learn the Boss/idiot sign. :)

I think it's normal and not incorrect. Deaf or not, we sometimes want to be alone. Maybe we are tired, or just want to be on our own thinking.
Sometime, it's difficult to tell someone "I don't want to speak with you right now". So ignoring them might be a kind way of saying "not now". People usually get the message, they may not like it, but the message is received.

Although, in occasions, you may not want to speak with someone, period! Let's say a drunk person or someone making an unwanted advance on you. Ignoring them might not work so a direct approach may be required.

Whatever the situation, deaf or not, think about how you would feel if you were the other person in a given instance. This usually tells you what to do.

I think it's normal and not incorrect. Deaf or not, we sometimes want to be alone. Maybe we are tired, or just want to be on our own thinking.
Sometime, it's difficult to tell someone "I don't want to speak with you right now". So ignoring them might be a kind way of saying "not now". People usually get the message, they may not like it, but the message is received.

Although, in occasions, you may not want to speak with someone, period! Let's say a drunk person or someone making an unwanted advance on you. Ignoring them might not work so a direct approach may be required.

Whatever the situation, deaf or not, think about how you would feel if you were the other person in a given instance. This usually tells you what to do.

LOL! I was in a grocery store once and this homeless guy was trying to get my attention and I didn't want to talk to him. He started to get really pissed off and follow me some of the employees looked really worried about my safety and told the guy I was HOH . As soon as I saw the guy I knew I didn't want anything to do with him, his vibes were not good !

I can understand ignoring someone but not throwing out some fake signs or pointing to their ears kind of thing. I ignore lots of people all day long hahaha

Back