Hearing mom with hard of hearing son.

They said that he does need speech but that he could get that at any school .. so it turns out the school never ends up having one I don't know if it's because they can find one or have a permanent but it's like this every year beachside my older son needs speech and he never receives any every year and I fill out the paper work and every thing and year nothing
Speech therapy that an SLP would do in a mainstream setting is completely different from the language services that someone who educates children with hearing loss would do. There are several outstanding programs in Texas is you want your child to learn spoken language, but outside of moving, what can you tell me about why he isn't in the local deaf and hard of hearing program?

Tyie, you gotta move your son out of Odessa. Odessa is isolated and a non-deaf friendly city. Go to El Paso, Dallas, Austin or Houston. I know a deaf guy who used to live in Odessa and it's pretty lonely. He is glad he doesn't live there anymore.
Yeah well there is a dead school here and I met a lot of deaf kids when we were in the deaf community but once they took him out the program ... we can't go ... but yeah I probably should but my husband can just quit and move ... :/. He works in the oil field so but I'm going to keep looking .. I just hate that I am limited to the help

Yeah well there is a dead school here and I met a lot of deaf kids when we were in the deaf community but once they took him out the program ... we can't go ... but yeah I probably should but my husband can just quit and move ... :/. He works in the oil field so but I'm going to keep looking .. I just hate that I am limited to the help

What about Houston? There are lots of jobs in oil field there.

I'll consider it .. I'm still looking around and seeing what there is to offer here and anywhere close

I am told some oil companies in Houston areas have been working on approving new projects and it should start this year.

Houston doesn't have a deaf school, but there is the largest deaf community there. I know a deaf guy who used to teach at my school is from Houston. He is well educated and doing so well. He loves Houston, but he can't deal with humid weather anymore and had to move out of Houston.

What reasons did they give at the IEP meeting for removing him from the program? You are a team member and you get an equal say. They have to prove that the program is not the appropriate setting for him before they can change his placement.

That would mean that over 90% of their students in 3rd grade are transfers. Less than 10% were scoring in the basic range and none were advanced. Even in the first year of testing.
Would it appall you if I brought up the possibilty that many of the students may still be learning language due to severe spoken language delays? And yes, I thought it was commonly known that the overwhelming majority of students at Deaf Schools were there as a last chance placement

Why are you putting my name in quotation marks?

I am very aware of what it looks like to be an itinerant teacher, because I was one. Have you been an itinerant teacher or in the general education setting with the services from an itinerant teacher?
I have many friends who are heavily involved in the business yes. ALL of them report the same stuff, that they have always seen. Heck GENERAL special ed teachers have confirmed the downsides of what they have seen. You're the only one who gushes about how well their caseload is doing. I actually do speak with real live indivduals
Speech therapy that an SLP would do in a mainstream setting is completely different from the language services that someone who educates children with hearing loss would do. There are several outstanding programs in Texas is you want your child to learn spoken language, but outside of moving, what can you tell me about why he isn't in the local deaf and hard of hearing program?
Why not a comprehensive program? She wants her son to Sign as well.

They said that he does need speech but that he could get that at any school .. so it turns out the school never ends up having one I don't know if it's because they can find one or have a permanent but it's like this every year beachside my older son needs speech and he never receives any every year and I fill out the paper work and every thing and year nothing
Um yes, he does need speech, but he needs a speech therapist who is experienced with dhh kids, not just your average speech therapist who really doesn't tend to have a lot of experience with dhh kids.

Um yes, he does need speech, but he needs a speech therapist who is experienced with dhh kids, not just your average speech therapist who really doesn't tend to have a lot of experience with dhh kids.
Yeah I know

Would it appall you if I brought up the possibilty that many of the students may still be learning language due to severe spoken language delays? And yes, I thought it was commonly known that the overwhelming majority of students at Deaf Schools were there as a last chance placement
You keep saying that, but the research proves you wrong. We have longitudinal information for students and it isn't showing what you claim.

I have many friends who are heavily involved in the business yes. ALL of them report the same stuff, that they have always seen. Heck GENERAL special ed teachers have confirmed the downsides of what they have seen. You're the only one who gushes about how well their caseload is doing. I actually do speak with real live indivduals

If you think I am the only one with students doing well, you need to expand your circle. I would refer you to hearingfirst.org and their professional community.

How many current itinerant teachers of the deaf do you regularly meet with. I have one friend in Lincoln Nebraska, one in Iowa, one in Wisconsin, two in St. Louis, and one in Minnesota. These are good friends who I chat with at least monthly. We went to school together and have know each other for years. I also have friends who work in private schools including some in Illinois, Indiana, Seattle, St. Louis, and San Antonio. We are part of a collaboration cohort that fields difficult cases together and regularly meet for mentoring. I am far from the only person with successful students. Perhaps if you are only seeing students struggling, you need to look at where those professionals are and the services they are providing.

I recommended the places I did because I can confirm that they do an excellent job. The mother can continue to provide sign language to a child that attends those schools. I cannot recommend other programs because I can't be sure they provide high quality intervention.

You keep saying that, but the research proves you wrong. We have longitudinal information for students and it isn't showing what you claim.
At SCHOOLS for the DEAF sweetie. Do you have longitudinal studies on students who attend schools for the Deaf? No, you don't know their backgrounds. Also do you have NON cherry picked stats on every single academic dhh student in the US? Nope, didn't think so.

If you think I am the only one with students doing well, you need to expand your circle. I would refer you to hearingfirst.org and their professional community.
Really? Even with the sad state of education overall here in the US? I just LOVE how oral teachers gush about how well their dhh kids are doing, and then ignore the fact that education here in the US isn't exactly the best.

How many current itinerant teachers of the deaf do you regularly meet with. I have one friend in Lincoln Nebraska, one in Iowa, one in Wisconsin, two in St. Louis, and one in Minnesota. These are good friends who I chat with at least monthly. We went to school together and have know each other for years. I also have friends who work in private schools including some in Illinois, Indiana, Seattle, St. Louis, and San Antonio. We are part of a collaboration cohort that fields difficult cases together and regularly meet for mentoring. I am far from the only person with successful students. Perhaps if you are only seeing students struggling, you need to look at where those professionals are and the services they are providing.

I recommended the places I did because I can confirm that they do an excellent job. The mother can continue to provide sign language to a child that attends those schools. I cannot recommend other programs because I can't be sure they provide high quality intervention.
Succesful ALL OVER thou? Meaning in ALL areas, not just the fact that they can speak clearly....there's also social emotional, literacy etc. There are many different pieces to the puzzle. It's not just the warm and fuzzy of placing dhh kids in with "normal hearing" children or having the skill of clear speech. If children are doing SO well, then why is it that I got an e-mail from Clarke School for the Deaf about LITERACY issues with dhh kids, suggesting that a particular Auditory Verbal Approach would be the Solution to getting the Third/fourth grade reading level moving? That's an ORAL school with lots and lots of experience with handling dhh kids. Or perhaps you're one of those teachers who hit upon the idea of additional diagnoses (ie "dyslexia" " sentence formation etc) to disguise the fact that dhh kid actually isn't doing that well?

At SCHOOLS for the DEAF sweetie. Do you have longitudinal studies on students who attend schools for the Deaf? No, you don't know their backgrounds. Also do you have NON cherry picked stats on every single academic dhh student in the US? Nope, didn't think so.
Why do you attempt to talk down to me with this "sweetie" and "darling" stuff? It makes you look ignorant and desperate.

As I stated several times, the longitudinal studies track all students, regardless of their educational setting or mode of communication. If you would take a few minutes and actually read them, rather than continuing to spout off your uninformed opinion as fact, we could stop going around in circles and actually have an intelligent discussion.

Succesful ALL OVER thou? Meaning in ALL areas, not just the fact that they can speak clearly....there's also social emotional, literacy etc. There are many different pieces to the puzzle. It's not just the warm and fuzzy of placing dhh kids in with "normal hearing" children or having the skill of clear speech. If children are doing SO well, then why is it that I got an e-mail from Clarke School for the Deaf about LITERACY issues with dhh kids, suggesting that a particular Auditory Verbal Approach would be the Solution to getting the Third/fourth grade reading level moving? That's an ORAL school with lots and lots of experience with handling dhh kids. Or perhaps you're one of those teachers who hit upon the idea of additional diagnoses (ie "dyslexia" " sentence formation etc) to disguise the fact that dhh kid actually isn't doing that well?
Yes, "successful all over". I would not consider a student to be thriving unless their academics and social skills were appropriate in addition to their speech and language.

You seem to have an obsession with "clear speech". In my list of things that I work on with my students and that I worry about, articulation is absolutely at the bottom of the list.
  • Safety and Security
  • Cognition
  • Language and Communication
  • Reading Comprehension
  • Social Skills
  • Other Academics
  • Audition
  • And finally, speech and articulation
A child can have amazing language and cognition with poor speech and excellent speech and almost no language.

And you once received an email newsletter from Clarke about the success of AVT? What exactly is that supposed to prove?

Back