Hearing mom with hard of hearing son.

Tyie

Reaction score
Hearing mom with hard of hearing son. Hello I am Tammy I go by tyie I am hearing and I'm looking for deaf friends! My son is mild to moderately deaf and sometimes it's hard to understand him he can hear quite well but he needs speech so I am trying to learn more asl and s.e.e I only have one deaf friend that I met at the gym and looking for more

Welcome! How old is your son?

Hearing mom with hard of hearing son. Hello I am Tammy I go by tyie I am hearing and I'm looking for deaf friends! My son is mild to moderately deaf and sometimes it's hard to understand him he can hear quite well but he needs speech so I am trying to learn more asl and s.e.e I only have one deaf friend that I met at the gym and looking for more

Can you also maybe tell us where you're from? Who knows, there may be some other moms around here, who have kids your age ;) Or know people in your area...

Can you also maybe tell us where you're from? Who knows, there may be some other moms around here, who have kids your age ;) Or know people in your area...

Yes I'm from Odessa Texas !

Yes I'm from Odessa Texas !
Oooo.... Is that near Austin where the School for the Deaf is? Is he enrolled in the Regional School for the Deaf? The regional Deaf School is most likely your best best. He'll have access to learning ASL, speech therapists who are experienced with dhh students, dhh peers, skilled teachers of the Deaf and so on.

Oooo.... Is that near Austin where the School for the Deaf is? Is he enrolled in the Regional School for the Deaf? The regional Deaf School is most likely your best best. He'll have access to learning ASL, speech therapists who are experienced with dhh students, dhh peers, skilled teachers of the Deaf and so on.[/QUOTE

To drive from Odessa to Austin is about 5 hours and 24 mins.

Welcome! My name is Dawn and I am a teacher who works with children who are deaf or hard of hearing. Have you checked out the Signing Time videos? I also know that Rachel Coleman announced that she is working on a series of signing lessons for families who have children with hearing loss. http://signitasl.com/

Welcome! My name is Dawn and I am a teacher who works with children who are deaf or hard of hearing. Have you checked out the Signing Time videos? I also know that Rachel Coleman announced that she is working on a series of signing lessons for families who have children with hearing loss. http://signitasl.com/
yes I have .. I received those videos when my children where 2 and 3 they were in eci. my son was in a deaf school last year.. this year they said he don't nee to be in it anymore because his hearing test improved but the doc said he could lose it as he gets older so I want to prepare him for that and he has very hard to understand speech so that is another reason I want him to learn it. it has become very difficult to understand him for my family and my son gets frustrated and I hate seeing him like that... he has mild hearing loss so he can hear us but we cant understand him .. he got use to the way we sound to him so he can understand us but he speaks what he thinks we sound like and well he needs asl

yes I have .. I received those videos when my children where 2 and 3 they were in eci. my son was in a deaf school last year.. this year they said he don't nee to be in it anymore because his hearing test improved but the doc said he could lose it as he gets older so I want to prepare him for that and he has very hard to understand speech so that is another reason I want him to learn it. it has become very difficult to understand him for my family and my son gets frustrated and I hate seeing him like that... he has mild hearing loss so he can hear us but we cant understand him .. he got use to the way we sound to him so he can understand us but he speaks what he thinks we sound like and well he needs asl
Is he receiving services to improve his intellibility and spoken language?

He is suppose to in school but they have not started anything with him yet

You're on the right track and I am SUPER impressed! He needs speech therapy AND ASL! Is there any way you can appeal their decision to kick him out of the deaf school? Even HOH kids can still benefit from specialized interventions, especially if they have progressive loss or have speech intelletiabilty issues.

Back