Hearing mom with hard of hearing son.

To drive from Odessa to Austin is about 5 hours and 24 mins.
That sucks. Way too far to drive, and he's too young to dorm it! Just thought I'd ask.

Is he in a program with teachers who specialize in teaching language to students who are deaf or hard of hearing?
You do realize that the overwhelming number of dhh kids in an inclusion based program do not have that resource correct?

don't he have to qualify to go to that?
Nope. It's parental choice, and HOH kids can attend. I know of at least two HOH teens who have attended in recent years. Unfortunatly b/c it's so far away, you guys would have to move. However I do know that TSD is becoming the type of school, for which parents move for! It is considered to be one of the good deaf schools. So that might be a possibilty!

You do realize that the overwhelming number of dhh kids in an inclusion based program do not have that resource correct?
No, actually, I don't think that is true. Just because they might not have a TOD full time does not mean that they don't have access to one at all. Do you routinely just make things up to fit your agenda? Do you have any facts or data to back up your statements?

You're on the right track and I am SUPER impressed! He needs speech therapy AND ASL! Is there any way you can appeal their decision to kick him out of the deaf school? Even HOH kids can still benefit from specialized interventions, especially if they have progressive loss or have speech intelletiabilty issues.
Well they said if he does go to the deaf school it's completely none verbal and that he would be behind because he is not caught up on signing and that he would be lost

Aweso
Nope. It's parental choice, and HOH kids can attend. I know of at least two HOH teens who have attended in recent years. Unfortunatly b/c it's so far away, you guys would have to move. However I do know that TSD is becoming the type of school, for which parents move for! It is considered to be one of the good deaf schools. So that might be a possibilty!
me I will consider that

According to this site https://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/0025309537/school.aspx?t=tbTestScores TSD scores below 99% of the schools in the state in reading and math, starting in 3rd grade.
Dawn, you do realize that the overwhelming majority of deaf school students TRANSFER in from the mainstream right? A lot of the kids who start out from the beginning at Deaf Schools do extremely well (and the early childhood programming at almost all deaf schools is very good. I have had parents of HOH kids RAVE about the quality of services at Deaf Schools) And you ALSO realize that hearing schools can more easily "hide" low test scores of single dhh kids right? Just b/c a dhh kid is mainstreamed it doesn't mean that they are automaticly going to take AP classes and be one of those kids who win an AG Bell scholarship to a prestigious hearing univeristy right? You do realize that just b/c a school is hearing, it's not automaticly good. Not all hearing/mainstream schools are suburban schools with excellent resources. (and even then a lot of kids may be pushed into lower level tracking and encounter poor expectations) Most Deaf Schools are struggling with the kids who transfer in from the MAINSTREAM. Even when Clarke was filled with students, they still got a TON of transfers in from the mainstream for middle school. Also did you know that the reason LEAD K passed in CA was b/c the ORAL schools were seeing kids who were transferring in (even at an early age) b/c THEY FELL THROUGH the cracks!

Well they said if he does go to the deaf school it's completely none verbal and that he would be behind because he is not caught up on signing and that he would be lost
You mean TSD right? They do teach in ASL primarily, BUT they do have interpreters for new signers. I know for a fact that a VERY oral boy even transferred to TSD, and used an interpreter until he got better at ASL. It is NOT unusual for new to ASL kids to transfer to Schools for the Deaf. Once he is immersed in the language he will catch up REALLY fast. They also have really good speech therapy services as a secondary service. He's already talking....he just needs articulation practice...With a really good speech therapist, they can clear up the issues just like that. And yes, he will learn to talk, even if he isn't immersed in it at school. He already has hearing hardwired. He will NOT lose that. His education at a Deaf School would be like an English speaking kid being immersed in a Spanish/French/other foriegn language educational immersian enviroment. He will learn using his strongest sense, get excellent additional speech services, in a really good educational setting. They teach kids the SAME curriculum as they do in hearing schools...they just teach in ASL!

Aweso

me I will consider that
Yay!! That might be a possibilty! There's also the possibilty of looking at other deaf schools, like Florida School for the Deaf and Blind, READS (a regional program) California School for the Deaf and so on.... But yeah, maybe moving might be a good idea!

No, actually, I don't think that is true. Just because they might not have a TOD full time does not mean that they don't have access to one at all. Do you routinely just make things up to fit your agenda? Do you have any facts or data to back up your statements?
"Dawn" you're right. But you do realize that most itinerent TODs are spread thin and have a heavy caseload of children, which really doesn't translate to a LOT of intense quality time spent with their students. So they see the child for a class period, without the intense benefit that a full time TOD can bring. You do realize that in the rest of the school day, the dhh kid is in an enviroment, where pretty much NO teacher has been specificly trained to teach dhh kids right? Even in special ed right?

Why not? If he has a language delay, there is no reason that he should not have a teacher of the deaf.
I quite agree. However a part time TOD cannot catch him up, the way attendance at a full time dhh school or program would.

Dawn, you do realize that the overwhelming majority of deaf school students TRANSFER in from the mainstream right? A lot of the kids who start out from the beginning at Deaf Schools do extremely well (and the early childhood programming at almost all deaf schools is very good. I have had parents of HOH kids RAVE about the quality of services at Deaf Schools) And you ALSO realize that hearing schools can more easily "hide" low test scores of single dhh kids right? Just b/c a dhh kid is mainstreamed it doesn't mean that they are automaticly going to take AP classes and be one of those kids who win an AG Bell scholarship to a prestigious hearing univeristy right? You do realize that just b/c a school is hearing, it's not automaticly good. Not all hearing/mainstream schools are suburban schools with excellent resources. (and even then a lot of kids may be pushed into lower level tracking and encounter poor expectations) Most Deaf Schools are struggling with the kids who transfer in from the MAINSTREAM. Even when Clarke was filled with students, they still got a TON of transfers in from the mainstream for middle school. Also did you know that the reason LEAD K passed in CA was b/c the ORAL schools were seeing kids who were transferring in (even at an early age) b/c THEY FELL THROUGH the cracks!
That would mean that over 90% of their students in 3rd grade are transfers. Less than 10% were scoring in the basic range and none were advanced. Even in the first year of testing.

Why not? If he has a language delay, there is no reason that he should not have a teacher of the deaf.
That's only if he is in the program and he's not like I said they think he don't need it .... in other words this town sucks

"Dawn" you're right. But you do realize that most itinerent TODs are spread thin and have a heavy caseload of children, which really doesn't translate to a LOT of intense quality time spent with their students. So they see the child for a class period, without the intense benefit that a full time TOD can bring. You do realize that in the rest of the school day, the dhh kid is in an enviroment, where pretty much NO teacher has been specificly trained to teach dhh kids right? Even in special ed right?
Why are you putting my name in quotation marks?

I am very aware of what it looks like to be an itinerant teacher, because I was one. Have you been an itinerant teacher or in the general education setting with the services from an itinerant teacher?

That's only if he is in the program and he's not like I said they think he don't need it .... in other words this town sucks
When they do the review of existing data at his IEP meeting, what do they say about his language and his ability to access the general education curriculum?

They said that he does need speech but that he could get that at any school .. so it turns out the school never ends up having one I don't know if it's because they can find one or have a permanent but it's like this every year beachside my older son needs speech and he never receives any every year and I fill out the paper work and every thing and year nothing

Tyie, you gotta move your son out of Odessa. Odessa is isolated and a non-deaf friendly city. Go to El Paso, Dallas, Austin or Houston. I know a deaf guy who used to live in Odessa and it's pretty lonely. He is glad he doesn't live there anymore.

Back