Hearing impaired, mobile application idea feedback

EmbersOfADyingFire

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My name is Erick Alexander Franco, A.K.A EmbersOfADyingFire. I am a student software engineer out of Dallas, TX. I'm on here not because I'm deaf, because I'm not, but to gather feedback on a mobile application I'm developing that is aimed at the hearing impaired. The app is a simple interface that allows users to type in a message that needs to be spoken for others to hear, as well as a SPEECH TO TEXT interface that provides the ability to record a response from someone, and convert that response into readable text. The app uses Google technology, and will require online capabilities, but I am adding the ability to type in text, and display this text full screen, with large letters, on mobile devices; this also provides the same functionality for receiving feedback from others that they can simply type into your device; both of the previous features are implementations for an instance when a network connection is not available. The app will be called 'Verbatim' and will be available for Android & iPhone. There are other apps out there that provide similar functionality, but don't infuse TEXT TO SPEECH and SPEECH TO TEXT features together in one package; 'Verbatim' will, along with some extras. My purpose here is to make new connections, and to gather feedback on my idea. Please let me know what you think, as well as present suggestions on how to make my idea better, for you, and other hearing impaired individuals :P

Welcome, Erick.

I will try to be of assistance in giving feedback.

At the moment, I am currently researching apps that would act as a stenographer for meetings. I am hard of hearing and have difficulties catching everything in my meetings. I was in hopes of utilizing a laptop with a microphone or even just my cellphone if possible, to capture all of the dialogue in real time.

Some people have directed me towards Dragon Naturally Speaking and similar software, but once again, as with all speech-to-text, the problem lies in accuracy, when accents, enunciations, and vocal projection all come into play.

Are you aware of any software hat might be successful in such an environment?

By the way, if you want to make some real money here is a BILLION DOLLAR IDEA: An app that allows you to shock soecific people for calling your cellphone.

..... Please let me know what you think, as well as present suggestions on how to make my idea better, for you, and other hearing impaired individuals

As for Speech to Text, it has to do a much better job than DragonNaturally Speaking Dragon and auto-translation CC function used for youTube videos.
They spew out wrong words. It makes me laugh sometimes, and at other times, just frustration.

The issue is to accounting for speech accents and such.

Please do take a look.

By the way, if you want to make some real money here is a BILLION DOLLAR IDEA: An app that allows you to shock soecific people for calling your cellphone.

:laugh2:

How about turn them into deaf too? :D

Then we'd have to develops app that allow you to paraylze people's fingers for texting/IMing you! :laugh2:

Back