Hearing dog questions

:) possible but I see this as a much more versatile solution. cant really bring a flashing light out to play with the friends.

it is possible he would hear the door. It is also possible he wont. A dog can que him. It is hard for him to concentrate on reading lips, hearing and putting things together and keep track of what is happening behind him.

Again, I want anything that is going to assist him.

Like I said it really depend on how loud a person knock on the door and if there is a lot things going on in the house it would made it harder to hear someone knocking.

deafmom, a service or hearing alert dog is not for "playing with friends" either. This is a working animal whose main job is totally and only committed to the handler<s> involved. This is not a pet you play with, or a novelty. If the dog is with your son as an aide, than she will need to be left alone to tend only to your son. Working service dogs are not petted or distracted, nor are they toys. This is an immense commitment, involving long waiting lists, possibly up to 2 years of initial training for the dog before she is placed as a working service animal, ongoing follow-up from the facilitating agency/placement group and legal aspects.

It is somewhat of a degrading remark to think at service dog that is going to cost in excess of 12K in the first year will be a novelty or companion to my child.
Again, HOH child is out playing with friends. Dog is by his side in service mode, and my HOH son does not hear his name being called. Service dog ques my HOH child. OR, child is walking with his service dog to see if his friend can play and a person walks up behind him. My HOH child would never hear that but his service dog would que him someone is near him.

A child does not qualify for any service animal from an organization until he is 18. I have a trainer that has trained hearing dogs for 10 plus years. We have located the breeder.

Again, there is information out there, but I have to believe real life knowledge is most helpful and that is the ONLY point of this thread.

You seem to be arguing against every bit of real life knowledge we give you. Most of us spent childhoods far more deaf than your son, and didn't require a service dog to play with the neighborhood kids. Kids adjust and accomodate, and there is a good reason why you can't get a real certified service dog for him at this young age.

indeed there is a reason. Reason is liability issues.
I am not arguing against anything. You can be more deaf than my child and have very different needs.
Again, my point of this thread was not if you think he needs it or not. It was simply to see if anyone had life experience with a particular breed :)

Willsmom, also, if you do your research and learn more, you will find that most hearing alert dogs are a -mixed- breed. There is a point in that, most agencies or placement groups look for and take signal/hearing dogs from shelters and rescues, and they're looking for a particular temperament and typical size range<medium to small>. Only guide dog and some assistance dog organizations, typically only breed purebreds, and certain purebreds- for assistance dog work.

It's one thing for an adult with varying hearing levels to choose a service dog.

why do you insist on disabling your child?

Willsmom, also, if you do your research and learn more, you will find that most hearing alert dogs are a -mixed- breed. There is a point in that, most agencies or placement groups look for and take signal/hearing dogs from shelters and rescues, and they're looking for a particular temperament and typical size range<medium to small>. Only guide dog and some assistance dog organizations, typically only breed purebreds, and certain purebreds- for assistance dog work.

It's one thing for an adult with varying hearing levels to choose a service dog.

why do you insist on disabling your child?

Paws for a Cause only use one breed of dogs for hearing dog, I called them after my hearing dog dies. NEADS does adopted shelter dogs and they'll ask you how big dog you want. I said I wanted dog that weight about 40 lbs as I was thinking my daughter dog who was pit bulk mix and she was a perfect size dog. Finlay was 47 lbs when I got him and I kept his weight at 50 lbs. I was told only to let Finlay run lose in a fence in yard. Some dogs did not pass the test to be a hearing dogs at NEADS and people could adopt one after a background check . A service dog does have to feel comfortable around all kind of people and situations. One Dr. office told they me had a patient that was in a W/C and the guy had a service dog and the dog would growl at other patients in the waiting room , the dog was not allowed at the Dr. office anymore. A child may not be able handle their service dog if it get too protected of him or her. Finlay would block some people from getting close too me if he did not like them.

Last edited:
It is somewhat of a degrading remark to think at service dog that is going to cost in excess of 12K in the first year will be a novelty or companion to my child.
Again, HOH child is out playing with friends. Dog is by his side in service mode, and my HOH son does not hear his name being called. Service dog ques my HOH child. OR, child is walking with his service dog to see if his friend can play and a person walks up behind him. My HOH child would never hear that but his service dog would que him someone is near him.

A child does not qualify for any service animal from an organization until he is 18. I have a trainer that has trained hearing dogs for 10 plus years. We have located the breeder.

Again, there is information out there, but I have to believe real life knowledge is most helpful and that is the ONLY point of this thread.

Kids adapt and his friends should know to go up to him instead of shouting his name etc.

Your son would soon be more aware of what's going on around him like a person walking up behind him by using his eyes more. Again that's some thing he will learn if you just let him get on with things.

^^^ Lots of kids (Deaf or deaf or HOH or hearing losses) will adapt very well rather than adult. SO most of kids are going to be fine.

Mild loss does not require a hearing dog. Period. See my post in your other thread for my experience. Others have already posted what needs to be said...

whatdidyousay, :ty: for providing more information

one of my college professors worked with Paws for a Cause.

FF and KikLove, true that!

Back