Hearing dog questions

WillsMom08

Reaction score
We are in the process of getting a hearing dog for my son. We have an amazing trainer we are working with. Wondering what breed people have had the best success with. Or if anyone has a breeder suggestion?

We are down to a standard poodle but willing to do what is best!

Yeah , I decided to delete my comment as I felt like you where not interested what I had to say. I asked what state you lived in as I was going to see if I could find anything for your son.

If you are intending to send dog along with him to school, you might run into problem... LEGALLY.

We had issues recently in our area school. There was a student with out of control diabetic, type 1. They claim it is very unpredictable and they paid dearly for trained dog that detect her diabetic level. So, she tried to bring along that dog with to school and there goes drama... For a damn good reason. Despite of her health issue, and ADA she has valid reason for this accommodation, but the problem is there are another students that is seriously allergic to dogs, and that student whose have allergic issues with dogs also have the same rights too. So, this is double edge sword. So, how to solve that problem?

I don't know the degree of your son's hearing loss. I have never met a person who improved speech and continue til the day they die. It is almost impossible to achieve that goal. If he has severe hearing loss, then Deaf School is best way, I am dead Deaf and proudly to say that I went to Deaf school all my school life and I am grateful for that. Do me a favor... Do not think as if you own him, it won't work so let him decide for himself. He knows about himself better than you. Secondly, learn ASL if you have not started yet.

I understood your concern completely about dealing with hearing (I called AUDISM) world. You really can't predict but from my experience it WILL improve over time. Technology had advanced so much that concern about interact between Deaf and Hearing probably will be a thing in the past. I never thought Videophone exists til I was 40's! If you can recall the days of 70's, there is nothing, no caption, no relay, no computer, no nothing and I had great time.

I never saw your question. ANY HELP is welcome! Thank you for taking time out of your day to care :)
We are in Michigan

I dont think our hearing dog will go to school with him until possibly middle school for sure high school.

I have concerns about age all the kids etc.

I do think that right now, A dog will help help que him to his name, and simple things he is not able to realize or hear. Ie knocking at the door while watching tv, vibrating phone, morning alarms, etc.

There is (in my opinion) a lack of information on this :) Everything says mixed breeds. And no connections to people that have actual used hearing dogs from a young age.

Service dogs are usually associationed with Blind persons.

aside: I met a person that had a service dog when she got a Cochlear Implant-Sunnybrook/Toronto. I briefly thought about it-and could hardly consider having one at Singles dance or say going swimming. That is still my opinion 6 years later.

Service dogs are usually associationed with Blind persons.

aside: I met a person that had a service dog when she got a Cochlear Implant-Sunnybrook/Toronto. I briefly thought about it-and could hardly consider having one at Singles dance or say going swimming. That is still my opinion 6 years later.

With all due respect drphil - maybe you associate them with blind/low vision, but service dogs are used all the time for those with various conditions including limited mobility (wheelchair users), seizure conditions, and those who are hoh/deaf. Maybe they're just less common in your area?

Does your son want to have a dog? if so, It is nice for him to have a dog and hearing service which is a plus.

I was born profoundly Deaf, and ASL user. I dont need a dog service. I rely on my eyes, and sense of being aware with what is going on around me.

He is 8 yrs old, and ask him what does he want for his needs.

Usually guide dogs are only given to 16 and above as that is old enough to handle them.

8 is too young to take responsibility for a service dog.

I have seen only a few persons here in Toronto using service dogs which appeared to be Blind. Today I saw a lady with a prosthetic leg using a service dog-getting on the bus. The first time that I saw that.

aside: my reference was to a person I met with a Cochlear Implant thus my thoughts for ME considering a service dog.

My comment re Sunnybrook-she had a Cochlear Implant and was NOT Blind or appeared to be of" limited mobility". I believe she was in the early twenties.

My friends daughter who is 8, has got a hearing dog for the deaf (UK name) and it has opened her world up for the better. She now sleeps in her own bed and her confident has grown big time.

Aside, she is profoundly deaf and unsuitable for cochlear implants. Not sure how a hearing dog or service dog would be useful for someone who has a mild loss?

A hearing dog can Que my child for many many things. Whenever his name is called, the dog can cue him. He can que him to a vibration or a knock at the door.
He dosent need a pet he needs a way to live more freely as he becomes older and more mature
Looking for people that have this in place and can offer advice and support.

A hearing dog can Que my child for many many things. Whenever his name is called, the dog can cue him. He can que him to a vibration or a knock at the door.
He dosent need a pet he needs a way to live more freely as he becomes older and more mature
Looking for people that have this in place and can offer advice and support.

With a mild loss tho, isn't he able to hear the knock at the door or the door bell going etc, so why would he need a dog?

With a mild loss tho, isn't he able to hear the knock at the door or the door bell going etc, so why would he need a dog?

It would depend on how loud a person knocked on the door. Someone would come to my condo and he would knock so freaken soft my hearing dog would not response to it. It droves me nuts , I kept telling the guy to knock harder but he would knock like mouse. And having him ring the bell was useless too.

it is possible he would hear the door. It is also possible he wont. A dog can que him. It is hard for him to concentrate on reading lips, hearing and putting things together and keep track of what is happening behind him.

Again, I want anything that is going to assist him.

it is possible he would hear the door. It is also possible he wont. A dog can que him. It is hard for him to concentrate on reading lips, hearing and putting things together and keep track of what is happening behind him.

Again, I want anything that is going to assist him.

He shouldn't need to read lips at all.

With a mild loss, you can easily cope with not wearing hearing aids.

It's also possible for a hearing person not to hear the knock on the door.

It sounds like you want him to hear everything without fail and if it doesn't, you blame it on his mild loss.

Hearing people miss things every now and again, they also struggle to hear some things depending on how noisy it is.

I hear what you are saying NaidaUP, however he isnt reaching his potential. I see his service dog as more of a help to him in the future when he is being independent.
I really can not stress the fact that a mild hearing loss child from birth has NO CLUE he can not hear.
Additionally he will benefit from having a service dog when he is playing out in the neighbor hood with friends, when he is needing to get up in the morning to an alarm, and many other instances that I personally take for granted. I owe it to him to give him every possible solution to his situation that can be helpful to him.
If I did not hear someone knock at the door, I may consider getting a dog to alert me :) seems like a brilliant idea to me.

I hear what you are saying NaidaUP, however he isnt reaching his potential. I see his service dog as more of a help to him in the future when he is being independent.
I really can not stress the fact that a mild hearing loss child from birth has NO CLUE he can not hear.
Additionally he will benefit from having a service dog when he is playing out in the neighbor hood with friends, when he is needing to get up in the morning to an alarm, and many other instances that I personally take for granted. I owe it to him to give him every possible solution to his situation that can be helpful to him.
If I did not hear someone knock at the door, I may consider getting a dog to alert me :) seems like a brilliant idea to me.

A flashing light is cheaper and more reliable. Also what most of us use.

Back